U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:44 AM

25 posts, read 27,305 times

Advertisements

Seven games.

Metta World Peace suspended seven games for elbowing James Harden - latimes.com

Seven measily games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Whom ever wrote that article is apparently miss informed, artest has only been suspended twice for anything other then technical fouls. He was also suspended 73 games for the brawl, and 7 games for a domestic charge outside the nba. (I don't agree with that suspension personally).

That's a total of 80 games not counting tech suspensions on 1-2 games.
Speaking of Artest's history, here it is.

•April 22, 2012: World Peace decks Oklahoma City's James Harden with an out-of-control left elbow; Harden suffers a concussion. Two days later the NBA suspends World Peace for seven games.

•May 4, 2011: Artest smacks diminutive Dallas guard Jose Barea across the face in the closing seconds of the Lakers' 93-81 Game 2 loss in the Western Conference semifinals. Phil Jackson said of Artest's play: "It's uncalled for." NBA suspends Artest for Game 3.

•July 2007: NBA suspends Artest, then with the Sacramento Kings, for the first seven games of the upcoming season after he pleads no contest to a misdemeanor domestic violence charge involving a dispute with his wife.

•April 2006: NBA suspends Artest for Game 2 of the Sacramento-San Antonio playoff series after he throws an elbow to Manu Ginobili's head in Game 1.

•November 2004: Artest is part of one of the worst brawls in sports history when he and some Indiana Pacers teammates go into the stands and fight with fans during a game against the Detroit Pistons in Auburn Hills, Mich. The league suspends Artest for the rest of the season — 73 regular-season games and 13 playoff games — without pay, costing him $5 million.

•May 2004: The league fines Artest $10,000 for making an obscene gesture in Game 2 of the Pacers-Pistons Eastern Conference finals.

•April 2004: Artest is suspended for one game by the NBA for leaving the bench during a confrontation in the Pacers' playoff win over the Boston Celtics.

•March 2004: NBA suspends Artest for one game after he elbows Portland's Derek Anderson during an Indiana-Portland game.

•March 2003: For the second time in less than a week, Artest is suspended by the league for exceeding the flagrant fouls limit when he whacks Boston's Paul Pierce five seconds into a Pacers-Celtics game. Earlier in the month he tackled Eric Snow in a loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.

•January 2003: Artest is suspended for four games for a run-in with Miami coach Pat Riley and for making an obscene gesture toward the crowd. Artest also committed a flagrant foul on Heat guard Caron Butler by pushing him into the stands.

•January 2003: Artest is suspended for three games without pay and fined $35,000 by the NBA for hurling a television monitor and smashing a camera to pieces following the Pacers' loss to the Knicks.

•December 2002: Artest is fined $10,000 by the NBA for shoving Dallas guard Raja Bell and failing to leave the court quickly after being ejected from a Pacers-Mavericks game.

Special thanks to L.A. Times Reporter Barry Stavro for putting this list together.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...,1261369.story (broken link)

Nine separate incidents of, let's just say "physical aggression", resulting in eight separate suspensions. This list does not include standard technical fouls. That's a lot more than twice.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,058,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
I am shocked that he wasn't banned for life from the NBA.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 AM

29,124 posts, read 22,035,723 times
World Peace!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Stern must be feeling charitable. Minimum should have been 10.....

Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
so where are mutombos suspensions?

Quote:
April 20, 2004: Kenyon Martin, hit in the eye and retaliated by clubbing Mutombo across the arm. Received a technical foul
March 31, 2003: Yao Ming, hit in the throat. Mutombo assessed flagrant foul
Feb. 4, 2002: Vince Carter, hit in the gut
May 16, 2001: Vince Carter, hit in the head. Carter did not return to Game 6 of the Eastern Conference playoffs
May 6, 2001: Chris Childs, broken nose
Feb. 26, 2001: Ray Allen, broken nose
Jan. 13, 2001: Corey Maggette, eye trauma
Dec. 28, 2000: Chauncey Billups, hit in the mouth, four stitches, fractured front tooth
Feb. 6, 1999: Jayson Williams, broken nose
May 4, 1999: Mark Strickland, broken nose
May 8, 1999: Lindsey Hunter, left eye
May 8, 1999: Christian Laettner, cut on face
April 9, 1999: Chris Childs, lost a tooth; Marcus Camby, shot to throat; Larry Johnson, hit in the head; Patrick Ewing, hit in the head
March 4, 1999: Kevin Willis, injured shoulder. Missed several games
May 6, 1997: Dennis Rodman, retaliated and ejected with second technical foul
April 12, 1997: Tom Gugliotta, broken nose
Jan. 30, 1997: Antoine Carr, knocked senseless
Jan. 4, 1997: Charles Oakley, four stitches to the lip
Oct. 22, 1996: Michael Jordan, bloodied nose (preseason game)
April 10, 1994: Robert Horry, hit in the head, fell to the floor
Dec. 30, 1993: Chris Webber; Mutombo later ejected for taunting Chris Gatling
Dec. 28, 1991: Robert Parish, hit the floor
Nov. 29, 1991: Ricky Pierce, 12 stitches in forehead

Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
so where are mutombos suspensions?
Why does it matter? Just because the NBA didn't punish one player strongly enough, doesn't mean they should excuse Artest. One has nothing to do with the other. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Besides, most of Motumbo's incidents (on that list) happened when players were driving the lane. Motumbo's pride got the best of him sometimes, and he was known for having sharp boney elbows. The important difference though, is most of those were (excessive) hard fouls in the flow of the game, during gameplay. They were flagrant fouls. Many of the Artest incidents happened during dead balls or were not part of making basketball plays. At least Motumbo could say he was trying to prevent a basket by taking a foul. Artest simply pushes someone to the ground, goes out of his way lunging at a 5' 8" J.J. Barea for a clothesline or viciously elbowing an unsuspecting Harden. #PrettyBigDifference

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
I would be curious to know how much punishment Mutumbo took over the years from some of the guys listed like Rodman, Oakley and so forth.

It was a different era and strong physical play in the paint from your bigs was not uncommon.

I'm just curious what a list would look like for someone like Olajuwon, Mourning etc.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 AM

oh i agree one doesnt fit the other, and 2 wrongs dont make a right (but 3 lefts do)

my point is while i dont think 7 is enough, i also think that people are going a bit over board with the scenario because of who it is and his perceived image/reputation.

mutombos elbow where notorious BUT he was/is such a huge "nice guy" always helping people and and children and what not that he sorta got a pass. that list is actually a short list.

you talk about mutombo letting his pride get the best of him, and yet artest let his emotions get the best of him, whats the difference?

how about jason smith getting 2 games for his foul on the NBA golden child blake griffen? that long enough?

how about eduardo najera literally getting his scull cracked open on an elbow and that guy didnt even get a foul called.

my point once again is people are taking artest as a thug because of his image and his personality. there is not 2-5 people on this board now that can say they would not stand up for themselves if someone threw a beer all over you. and if you are the type to not stand up for yourself then come here cause i got a beer i want you to prove it. sure he has mental issues (already documented) and sure he has a terrible PR guy (if he even has one) but IMO a lot of people are blowing this WAY out of the spectrum of reality. i think the nba looked at everything and i think they took PART of his history and fined/suspended him partially on that and partially on the "what if that was someone else not artest throwing the elbow" and split the difference. had that elbow been from kobe he would have gotten 2 games max, and he has brough as much or more heat to the nba then artest in the past.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would be curious to know how much punishment Mutumbo took over the years from some of the guys listed like Rodman, Oakley and so forth.

It was a different era and strong physical play in the paint from your bigs was not uncommon.

I'm just curious what a list would look like for someone like Olajuwon, Mourning etc.
that list was only made because mutombo broke lebrons face.had it been someone else that list might not be anywhere but in some research guys head. i wonder how many more should be on that mutombo list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or