U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Knicks vs heat
Knicks in 4 0 0%
Heat in 4 4 19.05%
Knicks in 5 0 0%
Heat in 5 5 23.81%
Knicks in 6 1 4.76%
Heat in 6 3 14.29%
Knicks in 7 3 14.29%
Heat in 7 2 9.52%
Screw both of them 2 9.52%
Jeremey Lin in 2016! 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,193,004 times

Advertisements

That is a huge reason the heat are so hated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

And I'll always kinda hold it against Wade, Bron, and Bosh for conspiring to put together their own team.
One aspect of that situation that annoys me, from a standpoint of objectively enjoying competitive basketball, was that we as fans were robbed of a potential Lebron-Wade playoff matchup, which I've always wanted to see. Flash back a few years ago, let's say between 2006 and 2009: For all the hype that enveloped Lebron vs Kobe, or Kobe vs Wade, the one matchup that produced some stellar 'one-upsmanship' moments was Lebron-Wade whenever Cleveland played Miami. Anyone remember this matchup from when these two were young bucks:

LeBron James 47 points vs Dwyane Wade 44 points the great shootout - YouTube

That's a playoff encounter I'd have paid good money to see, and we robbed of that opportunity when they joined forces.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM

51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
If we're doing the grade thing, I think the Heat can get through the East with pretty much their B- game lol. That, for me, translates to 2 out of the big 3 playing well, and decent contributions from guys like Chalmers, Haslem, Miller, etc. They're going to need their A+ against whoever comes out of the West, though.....
They brought their B- game against Dallas last year and made a series of it.

I think that you are underestimating Miami in saying they have to play perfectly to win in the finals. I don't think they'd be that huge of an underdog.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They brought their B- game against Dallas last year and made a series of it.

I think that you are underestimating Miami in saying they have to play perfectly to win in the finals. I don't think they'd be that huge of an underdog.
Lol....that was not their B- game. Last year, they were winning off raw talent with a very flawed roster. There is no way Lebron James can be as off as he was in that finals, and the Heat be playing at a B- level. He's too integral to the success of that team. If Lebron had played that series as he did Chicago, the Heat would have won, all due respect to Dallas.

And as far as playing perfectly goes, they're gonna have to be damn close to it to beat San Antonio. Hell, even with the Lakers, if they can exploit the big inside advantage with Gasol and Bynum that's going to cause big problems for Miami.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,562,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Flash back a few years ago, let's say between 2006 and 2009: For all the hype that enveloped Lebron vs Kobe, or Kobe vs Wade, the one matchup that produced some stellar 'one-upsmanship' moments was Lebron-Wade whenever Cleveland played Miami. Anyone remember this matchup from when these two were young bucks:
i remember watching that, one of the most exciting games i've ever seen. Perfect example of how we the fans suffer. They tought it better to play with each other instead of against each other.

Bosh, LeBron, and Chris Paul all left the small market teams that drafted them to play on big city teams with other all stars. And look what's happened to their teams since they left. Heat were 23-43 last year, Cavaliers were 21-45, Hornets were 23-43. The teams they left behind have crumbled.

I think what the Heat did 2 years ago opened the flood gates for these young players to just serve out their rookie contracts and then leave to go to whatever big city team has room on their roster for another all-star. All but killing teams like the Milwaukee Bucks, Vancouver Grizzlies, Sacramento Kings, etc.

But I guess Charles Barkley and Shaq were right. After they expressed their frustration with Lebron's "Decision" and talked about how old school players of their era would NEVER join a rival, Barkley said something like "i guess those days are over now...i guess this is a "if you can't beat 'em, join em" world now."

Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,440,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
i remember watching that, one of the most exciting games i've ever seen. Perfect example of how we the fans suffer. They tought it better to play with each other instead of against each other.

Bosh, LeBron, and Chris Paul all left the small market teams that drafted them to play on big city teams with other all stars. And look what's happened to their teams since they left. Heat were 23-43 last year, Cavaliers were 21-45, Hornets were 23-43. The teams they left behind have crumbled.

I think what the Heat did 2 years ago opened the flood gates for these young players to just serve out their rookie contracts and then leave to go to whatever big city team has room on their roster for another all-star. All but killing teams like the Milwaukee Bucks, Vancouver Grizzlies, Sacramento Kings, etc.

But I guess Charles Barkley and Shaq were right. After they expressed their frustration with Lebron's "Decision" and talked about how old school players of their era would NEVER join a rival, Barkley said something like "i guess those days are over now...i guess this is a "if you can't beat 'em, join em" world now."
Yes, it has been a tough 2 years being a Cavs fan! And even w/the promising Kyrie Irving, in the back of your mind, you're always thinking will he bolt in 5 or 6 years like LeJudas did? I do remember those games when James & Wade squared off, guess this generation coming up prefers the comfortable/easy path rather than the challenge of beating the best to become the best. They say Gen Y is the entitled generation (I'm on the border of Gen X/Gen Y born in the early 80s) and acts like Bosh, James, Paul & Howard sure make it seem that way.

It's why I hope so bad that a team like Indiana can knock them off, and why I hope the Spurs or Thunder represent the west and win the championship - actually, as long as Miami doesn't win, I will be content even if it is the Lakers or Celtics again!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Yes, it has been a tough 2 years being a Cavs fan! And even w/the promising Kyrie Irving, in the back of your mind, you're always thinking will he bolt in 5 or 6 years like LeJudas did? I do remember those games when James & Wade squared off, guess this generation coming up prefers the comfortable/easy path rather than the challenge of beating the best to become the best. They say Gen Y is the entitled generation (I'm on the border of Gen X/Gen Y born in the early 80s) and acts like Bosh, James, Paul & Howard sure make it seem that way.

It's why I hope so bad that a team like Indiana can knock them off, and why I hope the Spurs or Thunder represent the west and win the championship - actually, as long as Miami doesn't win, I will be content even if it is the Lakers or Celtics again!
Not trying to argue but what Miami did is not *new*.

The celtics did it with Garnett for free trade.
Shaq going to LA did it.

Even back in the day the Bulls got Rodman for nothing and the Lakers got Malone and Payton trying for a ring (and barring a playoff injury to Malone may have accomplished it that year).

Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,440,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not trying to argue but what Miami did is not *new*.

The celtics did it with Garnett for free trade.
Shaq going to LA did it.

Even back in the day the Bulls got Rodman for nothing and the Lakers got Malone and Payton trying for a ring (and barring a playoff injury to Malone may have accomplished it that year).
The only one I would say is an even close comparison is Shaq as he was still in his prime when he went to LA in 1996 to play w/Kobe, and that is a big exception considering Kobe was a rookie in 96' and nowhere near the player he is today - D. Wade was pretty established already in 2010 and was arguably one of the top 3 or 4 players at the time. Joining forces w/Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel and Big Shot Bob was a nice team, but hardly the talent of the 3 players the Heat have now. Garnett, Rodman, and especially Malone & Payton were all at the tale end of their careers when they joined forces w/their respective teams. Both James & Bosh were right in the middle of their primes.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
The only one I would say is an even close comparison is Shaq as he was still in his prime when he went to LA in 1996 to play w/Kobe, and that is a big exception considering Kobe was a rookie in 96' and nowhere near the player he is today - D. Wade was pretty established already in 2010 and was arguably one of the top 3 or 4 players at the time. Joining forces w/Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel and Big Shot Bob was a nice team, but hardly the talent of the 3 players the Heat have now. Garnett, Rodman, and especially Malone & Payton were all at the tale end of their careers when they joined forces w/their respective teams. Both James & Bosh were right in the middle of their primes.
Fair enough. I'll have to think about this more, you make some good points.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM

9,349 posts, read 5,562,093 times
The Celtics were kinda past their prime, though. I mean they still had plenty of basketball left in them, but both Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett were in their 30s when they signed with Boston.

Bron and Bosh were in their prime, both mid-20s, and they were looking to builid a dynasty. Lebron said it himself. "not one, not two, not three, not four...."

With free agency in existence now, I guess there's technically nothing the league could do about what the Miami Heat did with building their own Dream Team. But it just came across as so cheap to me, a bunch of all-star players conspiring to all join up on the same team.

At the time the Heat big 3 came together, Bron was considered "the best player in the NBA," Bosh was considered one of the best post players in the league, and D.Wade was considered one of the best guards in the game and had already been a champion. I mean for God's sake, the 3 of them are on the US Olympic Basketball team.

85% of teams in the NBA literally just flat out can't compete with them..

Last edited by skins_fan82; 05-10-2012 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball