Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

So, if going into this season we were told that Bynum would be healthy, Kobe would be playing well and so forth....would any of us have guessed they'd be fighting for the 8th seed in the west and may very well miss the playoffs?

So, I'm looking at the stats and they have the 10th best FG % and the 2nd best defensive FG% which are usually key indicators.

So how are they losing so many games? Looking down their last 5 losses....

76'ers: 16 vs. 4 turnovers was the key
Utah: Lakers Bench + Fish + Peace = 16 pts. on 6/25 shooting.
Bucks: 14 vs 8 turnovers, Milwaukee shot 50% FG
Indiana: close game, poor shooting but Lakers did better on TO's
Orlando: Bynum dominated by Howard and in foul trouble exacerbated bench depth issue.
Miami: (see Utah game), 22pts from the Bench + 2 starters.

The Lakers are the 29th worst 3-point shooters in the league which is most likely due to their aging guys and crappy bench.

Basically, it just looks like they have 3 guys and then the team looks like a D-league roster and implodes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
looks like this is proof lebron>kobe! same coach, same system, but better supporting cast in LA.

actually i think kobe is doing to much. its like the old kobe taking over to run the show racking up minutes being the man but taking away from the bigs. is this kobe on his own or is this browns system? on top of that artest, sorry cant call him that stupid name, and fisher are garbage, done son time to go home and the lakers lost a couple of major pieces with odom and brown gone, left their bench thiiin.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
I think the intangibles for the Lakers in the last 5-7 years have been huge.

-Phil Jackson? Greatest coach of all time? Jackson was one of the best coaches in any sport in the last 20 years.

-The Laker bench a few years ago in the playoffs were huge. Remember Vujacic, Walton, Farmar hitting shots, making plays when they needed it?

-Intangible chemistry with Odom and Ariza.

Odom, Gasol, Kobe played well together.

-Losing veteran leadership. I.e. Fisher, who could have retired years ago.

Veterans provide a stability and backbone for teams (esp in playoffs). Fish is 37. Bryant 33. Not good. Artest needs to go back to his old name, lol.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, if going into this season we were told that Bynum would be healthy, Kobe would be playing well and so forth....would any of us have guessed they'd be fighting for the 8th seed in the west and may very well miss the playoffs?

So, I'm looking at the stats and they have the 10th best FG % and the 2nd best defensive FG% which are usually key indicators.

So how are they losing so many games? Looking down their last 5 losses....

76'ers: 16 vs. 4 turnovers was the key
Utah: Lakers Bench + Fish + Peace = 16 pts. on 6/25 shooting.
Bucks: 14 vs 8 turnovers, Milwaukee shot 50% FG
Indiana: close game, poor shooting but Lakers did better on TO's
Orlando: Bynum dominated by Howard and in foul trouble exacerbated bench depth issue.
Miami: (see Utah game), 22pts from the Bench + 2 starters.

The Lakers are the 29th worst 3-point shooters in the league which is most likely due to their aging guys and crappy bench.

Basically, it just looks like they have 3 guys and then the team looks like a D-league roster and implodes.

They looked like a different team tonight against the Celtics I guess because they were on TNT?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
looks like this is proof lebron>kobe! same coach, same system, but better supporting cast in LA.

actually i think kobe is doing to much. its like the old kobe taking over to run the show racking up minutes being the man but taking away from the bigs. is this kobe on his own or is this browns system? on top of that artest, sorry cant call him that stupid name, and fisher are garbage, done son time to go home and the lakers lost a couple of major pieces with odom and brown gone, left their bench thiiin.
I can't really say the Laker's supporting cast is better than Lebrons.
Gasol isn't better than Wade and Bynum is at best a match for Bosh but in reality just gets a lot of easy buckets because people are so focused on the other 2. The Lakers turn to garbage after those 3.

However, Kobe is older and cannot run himself ragged at both ends of the court and still be effective down the stretch. Last night against the Celtics he was clearly gassed down the stretch (he shot 1/5 in OT and the one he made was a *bad* shot)

So, perhaps you are correct with the minutes and trying too hard to prove himself and not having a Phil to reign him in. Good points there.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They looked like a different team tonight against the Celtics I guess because they were on TNT?
Both teams shot under the mendoza errr....Iverson line of 40%.

I think this was a case of the Lakers looking less bad than the Celtics.

BOTH teams combined for 11 points in overtime. They shot a combined 4/16 from the field in OT and their offenses looked like utter crap.

Peace + Fish TOTALED 3 rebs, 3 assist and 2 points in 58minutes of play. 1-13 shooting with 3 turnovers, oh and 0-2 from the FT line.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
I can't really say the Laker's supporting cast is better than Lebrons.
Gasol isn't better than Wade and Bynum is at best a match for Bosh but in reality just gets a lot of easy buckets because people are so focused on the other 2. The Lakers turn to garbage after those 3.

However, Kobe is older and cannot run himself ragged at both ends of the court and still be effective down the stretch. Last night against the Celtics he was clearly gassed down the stretch (he shot 1/5 in OT and the one he made was a *bad* shot)

So, perhaps you are correct with the minutes and trying too hard to prove himself and not having a Phil to reign him in. Good points there.
no im saying lebron as a cav under mike brown. he is running a similar offense, and lebrons supporting cast was TERRIBLE every year he was there and yet they had some ridiculous success with that considered. i think was actually at his full potential then, when he ran the show by himself. now that he has a couple of other stars with him, he seems to not know what to do with himself.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:32 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Both teams shot under the mendoza errr....Iverson line of 40%.

I think this was a case of the Lakers looking less bad than the Celtics.

BOTH teams combined for 11 points in overtime. They shot a combined 4/16 from the field in OT and their offenses looked like utter crap.

Peace + Fish TOTALED 3 rebs, 3 assist and 2 points in 58minutes of play. 1-13 shooting with 3 turnovers, oh and 0-2 from the FT line.
The Celtics gave the game away. They were up 2 pts with 20 secs left in the 4th qtr and KG missed a shot that would have put them up 4.

So there was nothing impressive about that Lakers win

Old 02-10-2012, 02:15 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
The answer is simple, they have no bench. Their bench was huge for them during the playoff runs. Who is going to score when Kobe and Gasol are resting? Bringing Metta World Peace off the bench helped, but he is too inconsistent. They need two or three guys that can put some points up but they don't have it now.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:24 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
The answer is simple, they have no bench. Their bench was huge for them during the playoff runs. Who is going to score when Kobe and Gasol are resting? Bringing Metta World Peace off the bench helped, but he is too inconsistent. They need two or three guys that can put some points up but they don't have it now.
I don't even know how the Lakers can walk off the floor last night celebrating after that unimpressive win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball