U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Not the same.
Can you expand on what you mean by 'not the same'? You said medic technology today allows for 100% recovery. I just named two players, Oden and Roy, who didn't recover 100%. In fact, neither are in the league. Tmac and Gilbert Arenas never captured their pre-injury form. There's a handful of notable players who did recover( Amare, Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Grant Hill after many surgeries) and at least as many or more who didn't, from various injuries. So, what are you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,209,971 times
derek rose will be 1/3 of what he was

back to back injuries...doesn't bode well

Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

lol, I love how people just throw out fractions of health based on nothing.

1/3? why not 4/9th? I think 5/11th is slightly more likely than 6/13th, but wouldn't bet against 3/7th

Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,721,565 times
They were 18-7 or 18-9 without rose in the line up.

They just got smacked hard in the mouth tonight. I can see them lossing to the C's or ATL next round any way.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,882,165 times
Some of you guys aren't very optimistic about Rose's recovery. He is only 23yrs old. Time is still on his side with the healing process. I think he makes a full recovery. The only concern going forward is that he should give up that jump hop step while slashing to the rim. He will have to find another move that is not as stressful on those knees and feet. Anytime you jump, there is also the possibility of an awkward landing especially at an angle or going towards left/right. He does this alot. You also have to wonder if he lands on someones foot which could also cause injury. That jump hop has alot of momentum. That move has been around since the 80s when i first noticed some college players at Texas using it. Look at the play in slo mo. That move was no joke..

Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Some of you guys aren't very optimistic about Rose's recovery. He is only 23yrs old. Time is still on his side with the healing process. I think he makes a full recovery. The only concern going forward is that he should give up that jump hop step while slashing to the rim. He will have to find another move that is not as stressful on those knees and feet. Anytime you jump, there is also the possibility of an awkward landing especially at an angle or going towards left/right. He does this alot. You also have to wonder if he lands on someones foot which could also cause injury. That jump hop has alot of momentum. That move has been around since the 80s when i first noticed some college players at Texas using it. Look at the play in slo mo. That move was no joke..

The actual physical recovery is only part of it. There's the psychological recovery as well. He may be much more tentative when he comes back. We won't know until he's back on the court.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

I have to parrot Orangeish here....how did you arrive at this percentage?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
He will be just fine. Young guys under 30 heal fast. Now Dwight Howard's back injury is worst, they should have traded him for Bynum straight up when thay had the chance.
An anterior cruciate ligament injury heals, but most often, the ligament is not quite the same. The torque and the forces that are applied to the ligament during the kinds of activity that Rose applies are extreme. He had strong ligaments that supported these forces -- well, he did. But he doesn't anymore. He can still play, but the chances of Derek Rose being *the* dynamic player that we've all come to love are slim. Ask Grant Hill.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The actual physical recovery is only part of it. There's the psychological recovery as well. He may be much more tentative when he comes back. We won't know until he's back on the court.
The physical recovery in and of itself will be a long road, and a difficult one at that. I think Rose can still be a good point guard, but I doubt seriously he'll be the cutting and slashing guard who creates his own shot. It's not the end of the world. Plenty of guards learn to play with less speed, like Fisher and Billups. But he'll need help from now on. He won't be on CP3's level anymore.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,019,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Can you expand on what you mean by 'not the same'? You said medic technology today allows for 100% recovery. I just named two players, Oden and Roy, who didn't recover 100%. In fact, neither are in the league. Tmac and Gilbert Arenas never captured their pre-injury form. There's a handful of notable players who did recover( Amare, Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Grant Hill after many surgeries) and at least as many or more who didn't, from various injuries. So, what are you referring to?
Why Derrick Rose’s ACL tear isn’t the end of the world | The Basketball Jones | Blogs | theScore.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball