U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,364,704 times
Reputation: 3070

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The funny thing about this whole 'Thibs was wrong to leave Rose in the game' theory, is that it's all fine in retrospect to make that claim, but the reality is injuries can happen at ANY point in the game. It just so happens that it occurred at a point when Rose didn't 'have' to be in, tough break for all concerned, but suppose it had occurred on the first play of the game. Is that the coach's fault too? Come on now.....
Yeah, it's a faulty premise to most people. TVSG is not most people though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yes leaving Rose in the game was stupid but the Bulls proved they were still a better team than the Sixers without rose. Now they wouldn't have beat Boston or Miami but they were still good enough to beat the Sixers. And yes he should have called timeout to get a good shot when the Bulls were up 76-73 so they could be up 5 points with under a minute to go. That would have forced the sixers to shoot a three which would have probably resulted in a miss and then the Bulls get the ball back and extend the lead further.
so go back and read the play by play.
58 seconds left watson misses the 3. iggy gets the rebound (bulls cant call time so watson uses the foul to give) hawes makes a shot. (deng was hit in the face by iggys elbow had to come out hence the foul) deng comes back in after hawes shot. asik dunks the ball (lets pull him out before that and put in one of 2 guys shooting a combined 5 of 21). young makes a shot out of 76ers time out. asik is fouled bulls have no time outs. misses fts. fouls iggy. makes fts, no time outs, iggy blocks watsons 46'er. game over.

so i dont see any coaching errors. thats just the way the game goes some times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Sixers are a team who doesn't shoot well and can only score off turnovers when they are on the fast break. So the fact that the Bulls still had a team with more talent and could not win the series doesn't that mean Doug Collins outcoached Thibs? As a coach you put players in position to succeed and that's how you win in the NBA. Players win games when they are put in the right situation by the coach.
Even if we agree that Doug Collins has outcoached Thibs, does that mean Thibs needs to be fired? Not only is Collins a very good coach, but coaches outcoach each other all the time. It's a part of the game. There's no reason Thibs needs to be fired over this series.

As far as the Bulls being more talented without Rose, the Bulls are a team loaded with complimentary players. Very good, solid players, but very few are what you'd call playmakers. This is why Rose is so invaluable to the success of that team, sure they can plug in some decent backups like Lucas III and Watson and get wins in the regular season, but it doesn't take rocket science to know that wasn't going to fly for long in the playoffs.

I agree that good coaches put players in positions to succeed. That's the most they can do. The players still need to go out on the court, execute, and adapt accordingly. Anyone who's played any form of organized sport should know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Even if we agree that Doug Collins has outcoached Thibs, does that mean Thibs needs to be fired? Not only is Collins a very good coach, but coaches outcoach each other all the time. It's a part of the game. There's no reason Thibs needs to be fired over this series.

As far as the Bulls being more talented without Rose, the Bulls are a team loaded with complimentary players. Very good, solid players, but very few are what you'd call playmakers. This is why Rose is so invaluable to the success of that team, sure they can plug in some decent backups like Lucas III and Watson and get wins in the regular season, but it doesn't take rocket science to know that wasn't going to fly for long in the playoffs.

I agree that good coaches put players in positions to succeed. That's the most they can do. The players still need to go out on the court, execute, and adapt accordingly. Anyone who's played any form of organized sport should know that.


My point is this was thibs chance to show the sports world that he could still coach without derrick rose and he failed. So I'm trying to figure out why he won coach of the year when he can't come up with a game plan to beat a bad sixers team. Every media person expected the Bulls to play the Celtics in the second round even after Rose went down. Anyone can look like a genius when Rose is on the court but he showed that he is not the good coach everyone thought he was in this series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,364,704 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My point is this was thibs chance to show the sports world that he could still coach without derrick rose and he failed. So I'm trying to figure out why he won coach of the year when he can't come up with a game plan to beat a bad sixers team. Every media person expected the Bulls to play the Celtics in the second round even after Rose went down. Anyone can look like a genius when Rose is on the court but he showed that he is not the good coach everyone thought he was in this series.
This may shock you but the coach of the year award for the 2010-2011 season, has nothing to do with the 2011-2012 playoffs. He was a first year coach, that took a team that was .500 the year before and they had the best record in the league. That is why he won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My point is this was thibs chance to show the sports world that he could still coach without derrick rose and he failed. So I'm trying to figure out why he won coach of the year when he can't come up with a game plan to beat a bad sixers team. Every media person expected the Bulls to play the Celtics in the second round even after Rose went down. Anyone can look like a genius when Rose is on the court but he showed that he is not the good coach everyone thought he was in this series.

He won coach of the year last year, and it was well-deserved. Losing your best players is a net loss for any team; it's actually a credit to both players and coach that the team continued to remain competitive and win in the regular season without someone who is so important, particularly on the offensive end. There is not only the physical presence, leadership and skills, but the ability to remain focused mentally and adapt strategies when the entire makeup of how your team plays needs to be changed on the fly when you lose someone of Rose's scoring and play-making capabilities.

I can tell you've played little organized sports, so I'll excuse your inability to recognize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
This may shock you but the coach of the year award for the 2010-2011 season, has nothing to do with the 2011-2012 playoffs. He was a first year coach, that took a team that was .500 the year before and they had the best record in the league. That is why he won.
And if you remember me saying last season that I didn't think he should have won because Rose won the MVP. So i don't think a coach should win the coach of the year when he has a MVP player on the team. I mean that's too easy to award a coach of a team with the best record as coach of the year. Now Popovich earned coach of the year this season because of the way managed his players minutes and gave unknown players some playing time who played well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982
So any picks on the remaining games in the 1st round?

I'm not sure about clips/griz, or nugs/lakers myself.

I'm picking both LA teams to win the next games thus the series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Bright lights Baked Ziti
491 posts, read 1,332,336 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
i agree about the ref because it looked like he waited for Iggy to miss the shot and when he did he called foul. And that's why it will be hard for me to continue to watch the NBA as I get older because it becomes pointless if the ref decides the final outcome. They have been showing that play on ESPN all morning and when you watch it it's so clear that the ref waited to see if Iggy makes the shot and then when he missed he called foul.

But that doesn't excuse Thibs for fumbling away Games 2 and 3 of the series which his mind boggling rotations. The Bulls should have won this series in five games without Rose which means the coach was exposed as a fraud. The Bulls still had a better team than the Sixers without Rose so the injury can't be used as an excuse just the coaching.
I agree about the refs waiting for the shot to be missed and then call a foul. This was happening the whole season. LOL, it became so blatant that even I noticed it. It can be frustrating to watch, I mean come on refs, just call a foul if it's a foul, don't wait for the shot to be missed.
Yes, Thibs made some bad decisions but I would love for him to stay on for another 5-6 yrs. I don't think there's anyone out there that could coach like Thibs and command respect from his players like he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Yes, Thibs made some bad decisions but I would love for him to stay on for another 5-6 yrs. I don't think there's anyone out there that could coach like Thibs and command respect from his players like he does.
If we subscribed to TVSG's ideals regarding coaching, they're be an endlessly revolving carousal of coaches getting fired because they effed up in a game or a series. Thibs was outcoached! Off with his head!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top