U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
What an awful loss by the Lakers. Kobe was kobe late in the game, forcing bad shots.

Up by 7 with 2 minutes left? DAMN Lakers fans must be pissed lol.

Mike Brown is a stupid coach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Where are all the people at who said that the Heat would be unstoppable?

Some of you all talking bad about the Heat are the same ones losing hope in them lol
Indiana is a good team. The question in my mind was how good were they: Would they be ready to win now, or would they need a year of experience before they begin to beat elite teams like Miami?

I think Miami will prevail, but they'll have their hands full. This was true even before Bosh went down, but it's especially true now.

re: Lakers, I would not be surprised if they got swept. I think the main problem for the Lakers is that they toyed around with Denver for too long, and even more than the time needed to repair themselves physically, I think the Lakers just aren't getting enough time to prepare for the Thunder mentally. You know those old wrestling matches where the guy starts kicking the dude before he even enters the ring and starts beating him up and body slamming him on the cement floor? That's kinda what the OKC Thunder are doing to the Lakers. They didn't even let them complete their ring entrance, and they're getting clobbered. I don't know if they'll have time to recover.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Indiana is a good team. The question in my mind was how good were they: Would they be ready to win now, or would they need a year of experience before they begin to beat elite teams like Miami?

I think Miami will prevail, but they'll have their hands full. This was true even before Bosh went down, but it's especially true now.

re: Lakers, I would not be surprised if they got swept. I think the main problem for the Lakers is that they toyed around with Denver for too long, and even more than the time needed to repair themselves physically, I think the Lakers just aren't getting enough time to prepare for the Thunder mentally. You know those old wrestling matches where the guy starts kicking the dude before he even enters the ring and starts beating him up and body slamming him on the cement floor? That's kinda what the OKC Thunder are doing to the Lakers. They didn't even let them complete their ring entrance, and they're getting clobbered. I don't know if they'll have time to recover.

miami wins Game 3, Book it

Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,203,780 times
I didn't watch the game but I think this game actually gives the lakers (a bad road team) hope heading home. I expect the lakers with game 3 and maybe both home games.
All those silent lakers fans will be in here telling us how great they are again.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:25 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,006,218 times
Awful loss by the Lakers.

The Lakers have to win the next 4 in a row or they're done.

Hell yeah I'm pissed.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,882,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yes you are being a prisoner of the moment because the Heat lost that game because of poor free throw shooting not because the Pacers played that much better. I expect the heat to win Game 3 in Indiana and regain control of the series especially since the Pacers celebrated being TIED in the series instead of being ahead. When will teams learn that just because you are going home doesn't mean you will automatically win both games.
I'm thinking big-picture.... you're talking specifically about this series against the Pacers. I don't see this team winning the title this year, with or without Bosh. I'm also( slowly) seeing a slight decline in Wade which leads me to believe the Heat's best chance to win was actually last year, and we know how that turned out. Teams like Chicago and OKC are on the rise, the Spurs are VERY dangerous, and there's always any number of scenarios involving a mega-blockbuster trade that alters the balance of power. Who saw Boston getting Garnett and Allen back in 2007, or LA getting Gasol in 2008? Even with Lebron, Wade and Bosh, the Heat still are a team with holes and some stylistic clashes between their two main stars; they're going to have to add more pieces in the next few years to overcome teams like Chicago, SA, and OKC.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,573,081 times
Kobe Bryant went 0-4 in the last 3 minutes, forcing bad shots. I know he's "The Man" and all, but the Lakers would've been much better off dumping it down to one of the big men.

Kobe was hitting a lot of shots last night, but he was clearly forcing some tough shots near the end. off balance, fading out of bounds from 15 feet. Why not dump it into Pau or Bynum for a much higher percentage shot from 3-5 feet? I know Kobe probably doesn't trust them, and I get it.

Not to mention two turnovers by Kobe late.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 AM

740 posts, read 1,842,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I didn't watch the game but I think this game actually gives the lakers (a bad road team) hope heading home. I expect the lakers with game 3 and maybe both home games.
All those silent lakers fans will be in here telling us how great they are again.
Wonder how long can the Lakers keep up this *different* defense strategy they tried in Game 2? Judging by the first half, I thought Lakers would steal the thunder. Turns out to be the other way round. I thought Thunder was having a slow night even though they shot better % FG. Looking at the box score of Games 1 & 2, Lakers clearly rely a lot more on the starters. Their bench points are barely noticeable. So if one of the Lakers starters sustain a game-ending injury, that's it for them. Thunder's got to wear them out by increasing the pace of the game. And if Durant continues his game-winning plays like he did in Game 2, the previous series and the season games, OKC is all set.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,203,780 times
Lakers have to actually be ok with this loss. They where not supposed to be close. They lost by 2 in okc to a team that has played 1 game in 10 days. They go home and defend their home floor. Moral victories.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Wonder how long can the Lakers keep up this *different* defense strategy they tried in Game 2? Judging by the first half, I thought Lakers would steal the thunder. Turns out to be the other way round. I thought Thunder was having a slow night even though they shot better % FG. Looking at the box score of Games 1 & 2, Lakers clearly rely a lot more on the starters. Their bench points are barely noticeable. So if one of the Lakers starters sustain a game-ending injury, that's it for them. Thunder's got to wear them out by increasing the pace of the game. And if Durant continues his game-winning plays like he did in Game 2, the previous series and the season games, OKC is all set.
I don't think anything's going to be different on Friday. The Lakers missed their best chance to win. A slow start by Durant and Westbrook, and they still lost. This series is eerily reminiscent of the second round series against Dallas last year. What's telling is how the Lakers are losing these games. When they fall behind early, they accept defeat and try to save what's in their tank for another day. Happened against Denver twice, and it happened in game one in this series. Even more ominously, though, the Lakers can't close out the close games anymore, either. Maybe a part of that has to do with Kobe is losing a step here and there and is no longer the threat to take it to the rim the way that he once was. If you can keep him on the edges, you can beat the Lakers, and Gasol and Bynum never play well enough consistently to be considered a consistent threat to take over a game. If Bynum weren't such a headcase, maybe Bryant could begin turning over the reigns to him, but he's not going to let go of his team until he knows someone else reliable is going to pick up the slack. If the Lakers don't get Dwight Howard, Kobe may as well retire with the Lakers now, or go to another team like Miami, Boston, or New York and pursue his last legitimate shot at a sixth ring.

On that note, I was wondering if anyone else sees this as a possibility: Lakers and Knicks do a trade. Kobe goes to the Knicks in exchange for someone like Stoudamire or Melo. Phil Jackson comes back to the Knicks and uses Kobe to help implement the triangle and make the Knicks immediate contenders. I know it's highly unlikely, but is it possible?

Last edited by chickenfriedbananas; 05-17-2012 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball