U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 11:27 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times

Advertisements

I'm still amazed that Pau Gasol just let James Harden drive to the basket twice and never made a play on the ball or try to foul. He is too tall to be that weak defensively right under the basket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM

51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Lakers/Bulls trade makes sense. Lakers need QUALITY youth and depth - the bulls have a lot to offer in this area. Bulls need a post presence who can score - the lakers have 2 guys that can do this.

You understand the salary cap way better than I do, so I don't know if its totally doable in that regard, but it at least passes the smell test imo. Both teams can benefit.
Yeah, the problem there being that Boozer has a big contract and that is whom you'd want to move for Gasol...but maybe you could make it work.
Bulls have a REALLY good thing going, not sure they should jack with it just yet and let the team continue to develop.

The cap is just so messy now but I look at it 2 ways:

1) Once you hit the cap you are restricted to signing players for their minimum, resigning your own guys or trading for mostly equal $$$. (rough explanation, I'm still not fully up to speed)

2) Even if you are good with item #1 you have to watch out for the hidden B*TCH SLAP that is the luxury tax starting the season after next. So, let's say you are at the cap of 70mil and can swing a trade to bring some young stud to your team who is about to come off his rookie deal and make huge $$$. So you trade 4mil in salary and toss in some draft picks to bring on the player and then resign him using the own player exception. With the auto-increases your team payroll might be more like 90million two years later but you'd still be under the salary cap.

HOWEVER, you would owe 40million give or take in luxury taxes which is a huge kick in the nuts. They are absolutely not playing around with the luxury cap.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,161,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm still amazed that Pau Gasol just let James Harden drive to the basket twice and never made a play on the ball or try to foul. He is too tall to be that weak defensively right under the basket.
The infamous bearded stick move that has become his trademark Gasol cant get to the ball bc of the way Harden drives w it in his hands. The kids been working on it for awhile...

Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
The infamous bearded stick move that has become his trademark Gasol cant get to the ball bc of the way Harden drives w it in his hands. The kids been working on it for awhile...
I don't understand. I saw him drive to the hoop with the left hand like any other player it's just that Gasol is goofy and doesn't know how to be a man and give someone a playoff foul.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,161,870 times
^Dunno...When Harden drives he uses his stick move almost every time. I watch a lot of thunder ball but could be wrong on that particular play.

Good article on it here..
Hotbox Sports - James Harden has a move that drives defenders nuts

Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
^Dunno...When Harden drives he uses his stick move almost every time. I watch a lot of thunder ball but could be wrong on that particular play.

Good article on it here..
Hotbox Sports - James Harden has a move that drives defenders nuts
That just means that it's supposed to be a HARD FOUL not let him score

Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Eric S is out as coach of the heat after this season. Wade fighting with his coach in the huddle? Bad news. Wade had been on him all season.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Eric S is out as coach of the heat after this season. Wade fighting with his coach in the huddle? Bad news. Wade had been on him all season.
Can't you just look at the Heat coach and tell he is a goofball?-lol It's hard to respect a guy who is a goofball

Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Pacers defense is looking tough! I'm impressed. Pacers get by the heat and they very well could end up in the finals.

Spurs traded hill to the pacers for Leonard, oh how I would love to see one of my favorite former spurs vs my team for the ring!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,364,704 times
Yeah, I'm also impressed by the pacers. I'd be very happy to be wrong about this series :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball