U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 06:18 AM

51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Doris Burke was actually on point all night with statements like this

"Sixers are not as good as the Celtics so they have to rely on the refs and their defense"
The minute a commentator starts blaming the refs, although sometimes it's warranted, I start thinking they are just pandering to the butt-hurt fans of the losing team.

I've sat there watching football games where guys scream it was first down, touch down etc. and it wasn't even remotely close. The replay shows it and they still think it was. Fan - atics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 AM

740 posts, read 1,842,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
women should not be allowed to commentate male sporting events
Should men also not be allowed commentate female sporting events? Just making sure it's not sexism kicking in.

I don't mind Doris Burke. She stays on topic far more than Jeff van Gundy, who spent excessive amounts of time talking about anything else BUT the game at hand. The only gripe I have with women working in male sporting events is that they don't dress professionally as the men. They look like they're going to a cocktail party or a romantic date.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:27 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i think im figuring you out a little with all this philly hate.... its your idea of reverse psychology! your gonna slam the 76ers every chance you get because last year you praised them and talked about how competitive they where vs the heat while losing 4-1.

well played lmao
No reverse psychology, The celtics were supposed to win that game period. The refs made sure they did everything they could to keep the sixers in the game which is why I can see myself not watching the NBA in 15 years

One prime example

"celtics on a 2 on 1 break for a easy score and the ref stops the play and gives KG a tech???"

So basically they took 2 points away for Boston and gave 1 point to the Sixers

Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The minute a commentator starts blaming the refs, although sometimes it's warranted, I start thinking they are just pandering to the butt-hurt fans of the losing team.

I've sat there watching football games where guys scream it was first down, touch down etc. and it wasn't even remotely close. The replay shows it and they still think it was. Fan - atics.

The refs took points away from Boston and gave them to the Sixers. The Celtics on a 2 on 1 break and the refs stop it so they can give KG a tech? Why not just wait for the play to be over and then give KG a tech?

Old 05-19-2012, 02:26 PM

7,228 posts, read 8,237,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No reverse psychology, The celtics were supposed to win that game period. The refs made sure they did everything they could to keep the sixers in the game which is why I can see myself not watching the NBA in 15 years

One prime example

"celtics on a 2 on 1 break for a easy score and the ref stops the play and gives KG a tech???"

So basically they took 2 points away for Boston and gave 1 point to the Sixers
Why not start today?

Oh, and go Sixers

Old 05-19-2012, 02:38 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Why not start today?

Oh, and go Sixers
im not sure he ACTUALLY watches now. im thinking its all sports center and box scores

Old 05-19-2012, 02:50 PM

Spurs played like they were sleeping at the wheel during 1st quarter. 11 points and trailing by 22. Ok, they woke up for 2nd quarter. I think the Clippers had a lucky break, 'cos they took advantage of a team that was... absent. Now if the Spurs continue to play the way they did in 2nd quarter, they can win it. Magic Johnson don't think so (yeah, we know you love LA).

Old 05-19-2012, 03:16 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Man, watching the first 1 1/2 quarters of the spurs-clippers game I though maybe the Spurs were just due for a letdown but man....they are absolutely carving up the Clips right now.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Man, watching the first 1 1/2 quarters of the spurs-clippers game I though maybe the Spurs were just due for a letdown
I thought the same too. Spurs were -22 in 1st quarter, reduced to -10 in 2nd quarter, now up +8 in 3rd quarter. Kawhi Leonard gets my vote for Man of the Match. Two 3-pt and the game-tying free throw. While helping to keep the Clippers scoreless for nearly 8 minutes.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:30 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Man, watching the first 1 1/2 quarters of the spurs-clippers game I though maybe the Spurs were just due for a letdown but man....they are absolutely carving up the Clips right now.
You knew the clips would come out fired up, and the spurs looked bored early. They also missed some wide open looks. Then the clippers started missing the same looks and the spurs both picked up their defense and got a bit of offensive rhythm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball