U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 01:15 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,202,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Is that the idea of dealing with the Lakers? Force Kobe to take all the shots by aggressively blocking his teammates. It wears him out quicker. When that happens, his leadership tires too. That has shown during the closing minutes of Games 2 & 4.
I have always said this is the best strategy. So many teams try to stop/slow the big names (Kobe, lebron, pierce, Nash......) and get burned by the secondary players. A good defense is to let one player go off thus taking the other players out of the game. Spurs vs suns 101. There are exceptions, see spurs vs clippers, limit Paul and griffin but don't double. The spurs will look to limit durant but let Westbrook go, or vise versa. They also don't have to worry about shooters or post players so this strategy will be a lot like the suns series of past
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 01:15 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,064,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, you just blamed Pau? Did you watch the game?

Kobe shot 2-10 in the 4th quarter, 28 total shots.
Only ONE of last 4th quarter shots was from the paint.

Kobe is shooting under 40% this series while taking roughly 1/3 of all the Lakers shots. Last night at 43%....is the only one of the 4 games he's shot over 40%.

Kobe Bryant 2011-12 Game Log | Basketball-Referenceycom
u
Sounds like you are just reading box scores,not watching the gamlene. Gasol got plenty of touches. Just didn't do anything with them. He was awful last night cause he's just not interested in the game. He is a soft player and the lakers would do well to get rid of gasol.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
u
Sounds like you are just reading box scores,not watching the gamlene. Gasol got plenty of touches. Just didn't do anything with them. He was awful last night cause he's just not interested in the game. He is a soft player and the lakers would do well to get rid of gasol.
If he had watched the Game he would have known that Kobe had 31 points after three quarters and helped the Lakers have a 9 point lead. At that point it's up to the other players who also get paid to step up.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:26 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,202,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If he had watched the Game he would have known that Kobe had 31 points after three quarters and helped the Lakers have a 9 point lead. At that point it's up to the other players who also get paid to step up.
Or you would have known that Kobe took 10 shots in the 4th (more then half of the number of shots in the othe 3 combined). He also went to the line for 2 fts in the 4th.

Bynums production was cut by 2/3s not just pau.

Kobe wanted to be the hero so he jacked up shot after shot. You can't have production from your teammates when you limit them. Makes the game easier for the other team that way.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:35 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Or you would have known that Kobe took 10 shots in the 4th (more then half of the number of shots in the othe 3 combined). He also went to the line for 2 fts in the 4th.

Bynums production was cut by 2/3s not just pau.

Kobe wanted to be the hero so he jacked up shot after shot. You can't have production from your teammates when you limit them. Makes the game easier for the other team that way.
I believe they stopped giving bynum the ball because he doesn't have a great low post game. Have you seen how goofy he looks when he gets the ball down low? I wouldn't pass him the ball either-lol He needs to learn how to play facing the basket because he may not be able to play with his back to the basket all the time. Bynum is a one-dimensional Big man on offense which is why he didn't get the ball

Old 05-20-2012, 01:41 PM

14,586 posts, read 22,434,680 times
... and the Clippers are facing elimination tonight.

Well... HOW ABOUT THEM KINGS?

Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,890,744 times
if you guys noticed in OKC/LAL game last night, the thunder had durant on kobe late in the game while in game 3 when the lakers pulled out the victory, fisher got a couple of mismatches on bryant late in the game that kobe just shot right over him....i expect the thunder to put durant on kobe late in the next game on Monday or possibly earlier than that. it was a good adjustment on scott brooks instead of putting sefolasha or harden on kobe.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
if you guys noticed in OKC/LAL game last night, the thunder had durant on kobe late in the game while in game 3 when the lakers pulled out the victory, fisher got a couple of mismatches on bryant late in the game that kobe just shot right over him....i expect the thunder to put durant on kobe late in the next game on Monday or possibly earlier than that. it was a good adjustment on scott brooks instead of putting sefolasha or harden on kobe.
I remember Larry Brown doing the same thing in the 2004 NBA Finals when he put Tyshaun Prince on Kobe and that pretty much shut him down.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:44 PM

51,995 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
u
LOL. Gasol was just fine when they were winning championships, climb back on that Kobe bandwagon lol.
I used to be a HUGE critic of Kobe around the years where Shaq was leaving and then after. Once he pulled his head out and started playing team ball I called him CLEARLY the best player in the league.

Ironic that all the Laker fans bragged about having these great PF and Centers and now suddenly that's their problem.

Kobe has reverted now and they have no bench. He is the team leader, the coach and everyone else knows that they cannot call him out or be traded etc.

If you want to defend a guy shooting 38% for the SERIES and taking 1/3 the Lakers shots...then go for it.

P.S. The higher FG% wins about 85%-90% of all NBA games.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:06 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Halfway there! Boom Baby!!

You know, maybe I am being a prisoner of the moment, but I don't think the Heat winning in 5 is mathematically possible anymore. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway............It has been a long time since the Fieldhouse was that loud and raucous. Great atmosphere, and great to see LeBron stammer off the court as time expired. It was even better to watch the Heat fans seated 3 seats from me, all wearing LeBron jerseys, leave the game with 5 minutes left. This, after yelling at a group of Pacer fans and threatening to beat a guy up. Classy.

David Stern's worst nightmare has come true, he now has to acknowledge that Indianapolis has an NBA team; at the very least for another week.

Did you watch Game 4 today at Indy.............KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL Haslem stepped up big for the Heat along with Wade and now they regain home court advantage. Beautiful game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball