U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-25-2012, 02:13 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They didn't hang tough because they lost 3 games in a row. Hanging tough is stopping a team from winning 3 games in a row. Hibbert is a 7 foot joke and doesn't need to be in the NBA. He always looks confused and too slow to react to players driving to the hoop and slow as hell. They need to get rid of that fool.
Are you drunk?

WHAT? It's a legitimate question!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 AM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 11,648,797 times
Reputation: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They didn't hang tough because they lost 3 games in a row. Hanging tough is stopping a team from winning 3 games in a row. Hibbert is a 7 foot joke and doesn't need to be in the NBA. He always looks confused and too slow to react to players driving to the hoop and slow as hell. They need to get rid of that fool.
Sometimes I'm not sure if you say these things to be funny or if you really mean them. Hibbert has made huge strides since being in college. I used to watch him when he was at Georgetown and he's put a lot of work in. The problem with him though, is you are expecting him to be some super athlete. Well there aren't too many people 6'2", much less 7'2" that can run down Dwyane Wade or Lebron James. Those are two of the best athletes in the NBA. What Hibbert gives up in quickness, he gives in size. I don't think he really played that bad, but it's just Indiana failed to get him the ball in the right spots. If they get a better playmaking point guard, it would instantly make everyone on that team better. They just don't have anyone good enough to create their own shots or good enough to create shots for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Sometimes I'm not sure if you say these things to be funny or if you really mean them.
He means it, that's what makes it so funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,567,933 times
Reputation: 9446
I like Hibbert, and he's young and still learning. But he is really, really slow. Watching him try to rotate and help when somebody drove the lane was hilarious.

he's so damn slow, and because he doesn't move his feet well, he was ALWAYS late, and did nothing but give Wade and Bron a bunch of easy "and 1's" during the whole series.

He's not one of those freakishly athletic centers like Dwight Howard or Serge Ibaka. He's more of your Pat Ewing type of guy. big, slow, and goofy.

But being form DC I'm a huge Georgetown kid and I've been a fan of Hibbert's for years. Hope to see him somehow work on his defensive footwork this offseason, cuz it sucks LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,340 posts, read 14,102,864 times
Reputation: 5958
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I like Hibbert, and he's young and still learning. But he is really, really slow. Watching him try to rotate and help when somebody drove the lane was hilarious.

he's so damn slow, and because he doesn't move his feet well, he was ALWAYS late, and did nothing but give Wade and Bron a bunch of easy "and 1's" during the whole series.

He's not one of those freakishly athletic centers like Dwight Howard or Serge Ibaka. He's more of your Pat Ewing type of guy. big, slow, and goofy.

But being form DC I'm a huge Georgetown kid and I've been a fan of Hibbert's for years. Hope to see him somehow work on his defensive footwork this offseason, cuz it sucks LOL.
I think this is a fair assessment. Hibbert has not been a great defender, and he takes stupid fouls to make up for his lack of speed. He has been in the NBA for a few years now, he needs to learn to either get where he is going quicker, or just get out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I like Hibbert, and he's young and still learning. But he is really, really slow. Watching him try to rotate and help when somebody drove the lane was hilarious.

he's so damn slow, and because he doesn't move his feet well, he was ALWAYS late, and did nothing but give Wade and Bron a bunch of easy "and 1's" during the whole series.

He's not one of those freakishly athletic centers like Dwight Howard or Serge Ibaka. He's more of your Pat Ewing type of guy. big, slow, and goofy.

But being form DC I'm a huge Georgetown kid and I've been a fan of Hibbert's for years. Hope to see him somehow work on his defensive footwork this offseason, cuz it sucks LOL.
Please don't compare that man to Patrick Ewing because Ewing was never that slow or that goofy on the court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Sometimes I'm not sure if you say these things to be funny or if you really mean them. Hibbert has made huge strides since being in college. I used to watch him when he was at Georgetown and he's put a lot of work in. The problem with him though, is you are expecting him to be some super athlete. Well there aren't too many people 6'2", much less 7'2" that can run down Dwyane Wade or Lebron James. Those are two of the best athletes in the NBA. What Hibbert gives up in quickness, he gives in size. I don't think he really played that bad, but it's just Indiana failed to get him the ball in the right spots. If they get a better playmaking point guard, it would instantly make everyone on that team better. They just don't have anyone good enough to create their own shots or good enough to create shots for others.
If he is going to be that slow and weak on defense then I'm not sure why the Pacers need him as their starting center. I mean what is he doing to help the team if he is not that skilled offensively and can't lift his feet off the floor on defense to block shots? Seems like he is just taking up space on the floor to me and needs to be traded or released because the man is just plain awful for his size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 11,648,797 times
Reputation: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If he is going to be that slow and weak on defense then I'm not sure why the Pacers need him as their starting center. I mean what is he doing to help the team if he is not that skilled offensively and can't lift his feet off the floor on defense to block shots? Seems like he is just taking up space on the floor to me and needs to be traded or released because the man is just plain awful for his size.
It's called strategy. The Heat took advantage of a huge weakness that he has. As long as he was in the lane, they weren't getting any shots up. He is a paint protector, he's going to swat anything that comes into the lane. Miami realized that and they used his man to set the screen to draw him out and then because of the lack of foot speed they got easy lanes to the basket. What the Pacers should have done, was to play a zone and to not put him in the position to chase picks and to also pack the lanes, so they would force Miami into jump shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If he is going to be that slow and weak on defense then I'm not sure why the Pacers need him as their starting center. I mean what is he doing to help the team if he is not that skilled offensively and can't lift his feet off the floor on defense to block shots? Seems like he is just taking up space on the floor to me and needs to be traded or released because the man is just plain awful for his size.
ROY HIBBERT was #3 in the league in blocked shots this season. he as a 13-9 player this season. not a lot of bigs doing better then 13-9. his ppg went down a little in the post season, but his rebounds went up over 11. thats good for second in the post season for rebounds.

i dont understand why you think every player to play the game has to channel wilt or jordan or russell or oscar or stockton or magic to be "worthy" of being on the floor but your just getting ridiculous, even more so lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 09:10 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
It's called strategy. The Heat took advantage of a huge weakness that he has. As long as he was in the lane, they weren't getting any shots up. He is a paint protector, he's going to swat anything that comes into the lane. Miami realized that and they used his man to set the screen to draw him out and then because of the lack of foot speed they got easy lanes to the basket. What the Pacers should have done, was to play a zone and to not put him in the position to chase picks and to also pack the lanes, so they would force Miami into jump shots.
I saw Wade and Lebron drive right at him several times to the basket and either went right at him and scored or around him for the easy lay up. No player with his height should be that useless on defense when guards are driving to the basket. Hibbert is 7 foot 2 but 6 foot 2 on defense which is just plain sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top