U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 PM

7,762 posts, read 6,174,798 times

Advertisements

He needed this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,002,581 times
You called him LeChoke, LeQuit, LeBrick, but now you can only call him one thing: champion.

And unlike other people, I didn't just brush it aside when ESPN ran a piece analyzing LeBron's q-rating in the wake of the decision and found that the backlash against him was triggered disproportionately by white fans hatred of him*. I'd seen it before; the "regular guy" fans that usually get mad at some "thug" with their dream job, driving their dream car, and sleeping with their dream girlfriend. The site of a big Mandingo-looking dude that they view as their social inferior living a more affluent life than them for "playing a game" is more than their egos can handle. And let's not even get into all the freudian-level sexual fears that have plagued American sports since the time of Jack Johnson. But this time it was too far: The big black bucks teamed up and cut management out of the loop, taking less money (after all, athletes only care about money, right?) to form a team of their own.

Naturally, America couldn't have this; it clashed with the status quo. Bill Simmons, ever the expert on all things related to American popular culture, proclaimed from his mighty laptop throne that alpha male players "just don't do that". People emailed him wishing LeBron would break his leg, they attacked his family background- all over a basketball decision. The owner rights some frothing mad letter acting like LeBron stole from him- he signed a contract, and after that he was free to look elsewhere. How many of you lemmings have that much loyalty to your boss.

I could go on forever, but its late, so I'll just leave it at all you haters can eat a bag of you know what- especially Skip Brainless.

* LeBron James, falling Q ratings and 'black protectionism' - ESPN

Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 PM

8,521 posts, read 14,010,671 times
Expect,

regarding your attempt at a joke (post #210)

The joke is on you!

The op stated LBJ is the greatest athlete HE HAS SEEN.

The op DID NOT say LBJ is the greatest athlete.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,895,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Expect,

regarding your attempt at a joke (post #210)

The joke is on you!

The op stated LBJ is the greatest athlete HE HAS SEEN.

The op DID NOT say LBJ is the greatest athlete.

that post is only acceptable if he's a 8 year old make a wish kid who lives in miami.
there is no way a self respecting adult male could ever make such preposterous statements

Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,895,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
You called him LeChoke, LeQuit, LeBrick, but now you can only call him one thing: champion.

And unlike other people, I didn't just brush it aside when ESPN ran a piece analyzing LeBron's q-rating in the wake of the decision and found that the backlash against him was triggered disproportionately by white fans hatred of him*. I'd seen it before; the "regular guy" fans that usually get mad at some "thug" with their dream job, driving their dream car, and sleeping with their dream girlfriend. The site of a big Mandingo-looking dude that they view as their social inferior living a more affluent life than them for "playing a game" is more than their egos can handle. And let's not even get into all the freudian-level sexual fears that have plagued American sports since the time of Jack Johnson. But this time it was too far: The big black bucks teamed up and cut management out of the loop, taking less money (after all, athletes only care about money, right?) to form a team of their own.

Naturally, America couldn't have this; it clashed with the status quo. Bill Simmons, ever the expert on all things related to American popular culture, proclaimed from his mighty laptop throne that alpha male players "just don't do that". People emailed him wishing LeBron would break his leg, they attacked his family background- all over a basketball decision. The owner rights some frothing mad letter acting like LeBron stole from him- he signed a contract, and after that he was free to look elsewhere. How many of you lemmings have that much loyalty to your boss.

I could go on forever, but its late, so I'll just leave it at all you haters can eat a bag of you know what- especially Skip Brainless.

lmao give me a break. the majority of basketball fans don't hate lebron because he's black.. if nba fans were racist, why would they watch a sport dominated by black athletes? lol like if i hated short people and watched horse racing.

people hate lebron because he bought into his own hype, they hate lebron because he called himself "king james" without winning a title, they hate lebron because of that awful 'the decision' special where he strung along the city of cleveland for weeks and eventually dropped the bomb in front of a bunch of CLEVELAND KIDS
people hate lebron because of his comments after losing to the mavs in the nba finals
people hate lebron because of how he walked off the floor and didnt congratulate the magic (like how isiah thomas did against the bulls)

do i need to continue?

oh wait never mind its because he's black

Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,002,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
lmao give me a break. the majority of basketball fans don't hate lebron because he's black.. if nba fans were racist, why would they watch a sport dominated by black athletes? lol like if i hated short people and watched horse racing.

people hate lebron because he bought into his own hype, they hate lebron because he called himself "king james" without winning a title, they hate lebron because of that awful 'the decision' special where he strung along the city of cleveland for weeks and eventually dropped the bomb in front of a bunch of CLEVELAND KIDS
people hate lebron because of his comments after losing to the mavs in the nba finals
people hate lebron because of how he walked off the floor and didnt congratulate the magic (like how isiah thomas did against the bulls)

do i need to continue?

oh wait never mind its because he's black

So you really lack the reading comprehension skills to reduce that to anything better or more nuanced than "they hate him because he's black". It's more along the lines of them having an extreme reaction to some somewhat annoying aspects in a manner that they probably would not have were the athlete in question white. I mean really, if the documented racial disparities in opinion polling are there, why is LeBron so much more "obviously" hate-able to whites than blacks? What makes him so much worse than John Elway holding teams hostage to cheat the draft system?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,798,650 times
Quote:
What makes him so much worse than John Elway holding teams hostage to cheat the draft system?

Elway's episode wasn't on ESPN for all who had nothing better to do in life to see?

That's honestly the only thing I could get out of those who hate Lebron.

I have no dog in that fight and I would have liked to see him stay in Cleveland just as some cutesy story of hometown loyalty, but it didn't happen. Okay. Fair enough. I didn't watch that "decision" thingie, either. I may have been sorting sock drawers or something at that moment.

Maybe it's Yahoo! Answers Knickfans that had a hit of acid in thinking the Knicks were magically going to get all three of the Big 3 under the cap just because Tracy McGrady was going to recruit Lebron and start a recruiting chain reaction that's behind the hating...who knows!

I would bet there are incoherent losers (that's what they are on a great day) over at CBSSports website that are not posting anymore, because Lebron led them to....

The world is a better place today.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 AM

19,451 posts, read 17,539,397 times
Like anybody( who's got a life) really cares about Lebron James winning. He's proven himself a capable player but he's still a douche until he makes a real effort to turn his image around. And that can't be done on the court, its got to be done off the court.
Good luck with that.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,213,193 times
Quote:

all this is ridiculous. the fact that the simple idea that people hate lebron because he is black is just stupid! i hate lebron because he is an arrogant, self serving, egomaniac. same reason i hate the president and the same reason i hate guys like roger clemens. it has nothing to do with race, color or creed and everything to do with personality and attitude. lebron is a pour sport, and the world kisses his backside regardless. if race was a factor then wouldnt us white guys hate 90% of the NBA? would we not be fans of guys like tim duncan, or kevin durant? oh wait those 2 must be uncle toms because they are humble and respectful and not obvious arrogant pricks. guys like shane battier (congrats to him). if it was a race thing then the whole NBA would be an issue so IMO you can take this entire post and....................

congrats to shane battier, and congrats to the thunder for making it that far. and much respect for durant who was the 1st person to run over and congratulate the heat and especially lebron. (i remember lebron walking off the court without so much as a look in the winners direction a couple of times, no class but i guess momma never taught him about that)

Old 06-22-2012, 06:48 AM

740 posts, read 1,843,814 times
I was about to make a celebrative overture on Miami's win, only to find some fool playing the race card, and then followed up that race card by attacking someone. This reminds me of another forum way back when an interloper showed up (first name is also "John") to talk only about his concept of racism, but did more personal attacks of others that don't agree with him. As moderator of that forum, I closed his thread and banned him. I've seen more than my fair share of "race-based" discussions to know that the only people that want to talk about it are racists themselves, and they almost always turned ugly. You know who you are. You're also welcome to dish out your best biting comments at me, which only reaffirms my point.

Back on topic, congratulations to Miami Heat and especially to LeBron James. He can finally get that monkey off his back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball