U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,440,506 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Columbus, OH thread as well, but thought it might bring up some relevant discussion in this forum too.

Coleman wants NBA team to share Nationwide Arena with Blue Jackets | The Columbus Dispatch

This is a bad idea all around. Mayor Coleman should focus his energy on helping the Blue Jackets struggling franchise before trying to lure an NBA team.

On top of that, Cbus has to be far down the list of existing owner's desired destinations. Seattle & Las Vegas have to be 1-2 in potential destinations, and heck, Cincinnati even makes more sense than Cbus. Plus, highly unlikely that Dan Gilbert would ever vote for a franchise being there since it would take away some of his market share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,523,567 times
The NBA and NHL seem to have a gentleman's agreement about smaller markets not having both an NBA and an NHL franchise.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 05-10-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM

478 posts, read 594,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
The NBA and NHL seem to have a gentleman's agreement about smaller markets not having both an NBA and an NHL franchise.
I don't know If it's a small market, the Columbus metro area has over 2,000,000 people. I think it has more to do with the proximity to Cleveland than anything else. The Cavs are basically the pro basketball team for Ohio. Plus I don't think Columbus supports the Blue Jackets well, so I doubt they could support an NBA team. Finally, the Ohio State is in Columbus. College sports are far more popular there than pro sports teams. I think it's similar to Austin in that regard.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,997,603 times
I'm sure he also wanted a better career and money management

Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,381,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
I don't know If it's a small market, the Columbus metro area has over 2,000,000 people. I think it has more to do with the proximity to Cleveland than anything else. The Cavs are basically the pro basketball team for Ohio. Plus I don't think Columbus supports the Blue Jackets well, so I doubt they could support an NBA team. Finally, the Ohio State is in Columbus. College sports are far more popular there than pro sports teams. I think it's similar to Austin in that regard.
When did the Columbus metro get over 2 million? Vegas hasn't even yet.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM

1,860 posts, read 4,440,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
When did the Columbus metro get over 2 million? Vegas hasn't even yet.
It's CSA eclipsed 2 million at the last census, however, the MSA is still just a little over 1.8 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball