U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:57 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,592,005 times

Advertisements

Today I was having a debate about lebron's james decision to team up with d-wade. I fall on the side that it was the right thing to do, and the other guy said he took the easy way out. I mentioned kevin garnett and ray allen, and the guy said they were past their prime. Now this has always been the go to explanation for why kevin garnett was given a pass, because he was past his prime. Here is my question, was he really past his prime? Its been 5 seasons since he has left, he has made 4 all-star teams, selected First Team All NBA the very next season after he left. He has made First Team All Defensive team 3 times, including last year. With those accomplishments, how can you say he was past his prime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 03:50 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,058,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Today I was having a debate about lebron's james decision to team up with d-wade. I fall on the side that it was the right thing to do, and the other guy said he took the easy way out. I mentioned kevin garnett and ray allen, and the guy said they were past their prime. Now this has always been the go to explanation for why kevin garnett was given a pass, because he was past his prime. Here is my question, was he really past his prime? Its been 5 seasons since he has left, he has made 4 all-star teams, selected First Team All NBA the very next season after he left. He has made First Team All Defensive team 3 times, including last year. With those accomplishments, how can you say he was past his prime?
Kevin Garnett gets a pass because he was traded to boston, he didn't team up with Pierce.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
Garnett, and ray Allen where both traded to the celtics. They didn't make the decision (no pun) their teams said "hey your headed to Boston"

Old 05-11-2012, 05:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
Yeah, it's not even close to the same thing.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
All 3 of the Celtics stars( Pierce, Allen, Garnett) were just outside their prime when they joined( well Pierce may have still been prime). Both Garnett and Allen were traded there. In fact, if memory serves, Garnett initially refused the trade until Allen was brought on-board. All 3 guys were accomplished individual stars, stuck on teams going nowhere. There was no, as far as we know, planned move to join forces years prior to it happening.

Now where Lebron is concerned, he left a 60 win team that was one really good player away( and no, Antawn Jamison was not that player) from breaking through. Instead of sweating it out, he decided he's rather join up with a top 3 player and a top 15 player. Ok fine, I don't begrudge his decision, he can do what he likes. The scenarios, how they all joined up, the stage in their careers, are not really comparable though. Reportedly, that plan to team-up was from as far back as the 2008 Olympics. True or not I have no idea, but we're not talking about the same scenario as with Boston back in 2007.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,566,706 times
^ what the 4 guys above me said.

Not to mention, Garnett stayed put. Through the good times and the bad, Garnett remained loyal to the Twolves. He gave them 11 years, and then was traded. He didn't leave because he wanted to.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,000,765 times
From the title of the thread, I thought this thread was going to be about why garnett gets a free pass to play dirty.

Kevin Garnett Called 'Dirtiest Player' In NBA

Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 AM

2,545 posts, read 6,252,854 times
Anytime you go on national TV to stab your hometown, you are going to face this. I don't think it had anything to do with how good a player LeBron is. He could have achieved the same thing the way other players do.... sulk and bit** about it long enough before becoming a free agent. The TV thing was a no-no, even though he said he's doing a charity.
Garnett.... (sigh) he is another animal. How long was he at Minnesota before he left ???? a long.... time.... and there was no TV event.... and the fans were actually happy for him.... totally opposite situation.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
^ Yep....remember this?

Kevin Garnett "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!" Interview (6.17.08) - YouTube

I felt that myself, because I was a huge Garnett fan in Minnesota and I can appreciate 12 years of struggle and mediocrity when he finally got the monkey off his back and the emotions pouring out. As unarticulated as he sounded there, that for me was one of those sports moments that sticks with you, kind of like how MJ cried when he won the first ring.

I felt the same way when Dirk won last year....

Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,566,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I felt that myself, because I was a huge Garnett fan in Minnesota and I can appreciate 12 years of struggle and mediocrity when he finally got the monkey off his back and the emotions pouring out. As unarticulated as he sounded there, that for me was one of those sports moments that sticks with you, kind of like how MJ cried when he won the first ring.

I felt the same way when Dirk won last year....
Great post, I agree 100%. Same with Dirk, too. Good for him, he deserved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball