Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 PM

742 posts, read 2,068,057 times

Advertisements

I'm not sold on the Celtics beating the Heat given their last playoff meeting. They did well against the Heat during season games, but that did not translate to playoff success. Even with Bosh out, they are still a very tough team against the likes of Celtics. Against Spurs or Thunder, that's an entirely different matter.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:20 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafoyavision View Post
What I don't get is everyone on TV, radio, and even in the blogs are always refering to the Miami Heat as a two star team, two "and a half" when they're feeling generous. Why should anyone let the Heat off the hook now that a "nonstar" or "half a star" is out?

The thing is, I always believed Bosh to be the one keeping this team in games with solid safe unsexy 15 footers while Wade and Bron created the hightlights to be shown on top ten lists. Now that Bosh is out everyone is saying how the Heat are done? What about your two "superstars" they don't need Bosh.

I just get perturbed at the sheeple who choose to believe everything on ESPN and how, well LBJ is the number one play of the day, so he must be the best player, or Kobe had a game winning shot, so maybe he is the best player. How about the 47 and a half minutes before when Kobe went 3 for 21?

Maybe it's just because I am a fan of the Spurs who play as a team with no highlights, drama, or egos to stroke. Oh, but the media says they are "boring" so everyone regurgitates this even though this boring team is the second highest scoring team in the league, with the best 3 point shooting percentage and a solid defense.

I guess this is a long way to answer your question but, the Heat are done, but not because they lost a "superstar" but because they lost their best player.

Lot of people consider the spurs boring because Tim Duncan is the face of the franchise who is not flashy and more low key

Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Not just tim Duncan. It's the whole franchise I mean watch any player for a "break away", it's either a simple layup or a quick simple dunk with little effort and no flash. If that where any number of players on 29 other teams and 75% of the time it's a big flashy dunk. How many times do you see guys trying out for the dunk contest on those plays. Spurs management doesn't tolerate that stuff. The players I think don't even care anymore.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
I would not be so quick to count out the Heat against the Celtics. Even with Bosh out, they can still give the older, slower Celtics a run for their money, and Miami has quietly put together more depth on the bench. This is not just the Big Three; Miami has a number of good players. But no doubt, losing Bosh is big, because of his raw power down low.

I suspect that it will hurt the Heat as they go deeper into the playoffs. Hopefully, the Heat can survive what will surely be a six or seven game fight with the Pacers and then maybe move on to give Bosh a chance to recover.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
I'm not sold on the Celtics beating the Heat given their last playoff meeting. They did well against the Heat during season games, but that did not translate to playoff success. Even with Bosh out, they are still a very tough team against the likes of Celtics. Against Spurs or Thunder, that's an entirely different matter.
Agreed, the Celtics didn't really get any younger, although if Rondo is playing at top form, he might pose a problem for the Heat. But the Heat defend well, with or without Bosh.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Not just tim Duncan. It's the whole franchise I mean watch any player for a "break away", it's either a simple layup or a quick simple dunk with little effort and no flash. If that where any number of players on 29 other teams and 75% of the time it's a big flashy dunk. How many times do you see guys trying out for the dunk contest on those plays. Spurs management doesn't tolerate that stuff. The players I think don't even care anymore.
The tone has been set with that team from top to bottom management with full buy in from their (many) HOFers.

The Spurs play basketball like army ants. No flash, all business, relentlessly efficient.

If they can avoid injuries through the playoffs they are the equal or better of anyone this year.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Can everyone stop putting the Celtics in the 3rd round now that they are tied at 1-1 and been down double digits in the 4th qtr of both games.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The tone has been set with that team from top to bottom management with full buy in from their (many) HOFers.

The Spurs play basketball like army ants. No flash, all business, relentlessly efficient.

If they can avoid injuries through the playoffs they are the equal or better of anyone this year.
We'll see about that. The Spurs look great, but they'll be playing more athletic and experienced teams from here on out. Don't get me wrong: I think the Spurs have been impressive, but the real tests begin now.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
We'll see about that. The Spurs look great, but they'll be playing more athletic and experienced teams from here on out. Don't get me wrong: I think the Spurs have been impressive, but the real tests begin now.
The Clippers are not a test.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
If you think the LAC are a test for the mighty Spurs you're crazy. If all things go well, and that's a big if, the Clippers may get one lucky win. But I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball