U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,888,899 times
Reputation: 1228

Advertisements

i was a baby in the 80s so i didnt grow up watching Larry Bird play. however there was a very specific moment where i thought maybe the hype behind Bird was real:


Reggie Miller's GW3 in ECF Game 4 - YouTube

1998 eastern conference finals game 4. Reggie miller hits the game winning 3 pointer, market square arena goes crazy, the pacers go crazy, reggie miller hopping around crazy. but look at larry bird's reaction.
i was like 14 years old when i saw this, and i was like wtf what is wrong with him.. one of the most exciting finishes ever and he's standing there unimpressed, looking bored even, like he was waiting in line at the DMV.
ice cold. like the terminator. or hillary clinton. 10+ years later and hours and hours of watching Bird highlights, games, videos and he is solidly in my top 3 d.o.a list.

He just won executive of the year in the NBA.
Added to his coach of the year.
3x MVP.
2x finals mvp
and so on.

he p.sses excellence at every level. top 3 hate it or love it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2012, 08:45 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,888,899 times
Reputation: 1228
Larry Bird talking trash and demanding the ball @ the last play of the game *cough* lebron *cough*


Larry Bird Diss on Xavier Mcdaniels - YouTube


^^^the arrogance- the confidence- the swagger- i am going to get the ball. im going to get it at this spot, and im going to shoot it in your face and make it. this doesnt exist in today's NBA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 AM
 
4,399 posts, read 9,052,070 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i was a baby in the 80s so i didnt grow up watching Larry Bird play. however there was a very specific moment where i thought maybe the hype behind Bird was real:


Reggie Miller's GW3 in ECF Game 4 - YouTube

1998 eastern conference finals game 4. Reggie miller hits the game winning 3 pointer, market square arena goes crazy, the pacers go crazy, reggie miller hopping around crazy. but look at larry bird's reaction.
i was like 14 years old when i saw this, and i was like wtf what is wrong with him.. one of the most exciting finishes ever and he's standing there unimpressed, looking bored even, like he was waiting in line at the DMV.
ice cold. like the terminator. or hillary clinton. 10+ years later and hours and hours of watching Bird highlights, games, videos and he is solidly in my top 3 d.o.a list.

He just won executive of the year in the NBA.
Added to his coach of the year.
3x MVP.
2x finals mvp
and so on.

he p.sses excellence at every level. top 3 hate it or love it
(Edit-one sentence deleted)

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: see below
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Reputation: 4582
Larry Bird was a cold blooded assassin. The best pure shooter I ever saw.. and I saw a lot of 'em. If my team needed to make a final shot to win a game there is no other player in NBA history that I would want to shoot the ball over Larry Bird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
L i am going to get the ball. im going to get it at this spot, and im going to shoot it in your face and make it.

That, in a nutshell, shows how good Bird was. He tells you exactly what he's going to do, gives you the heads up, and then goes and does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 06:45 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Larry Bird was a cold blooded assassin. The best pure shooter I ever saw.. and I saw a lot of 'em. If my team needed to make a final shot to win a game there is no other player in NBA history that I would want to shoot the ball over Larry Bird.
Not taking anything away from Larry Bird... but unless its a three that you need, Michael Jordan is the person to take the last shot.

Having said Larry Bird was a lot more than just a pure shooter. He was a complete player simple and plain. He could shoot, pass, rebound, and defend. He was clutch, arrogant, and tough. And he was respected and feared by his peers.

And last but not least he was a fierce competitor and played with chip on his shoulder. He was a country white boy from the sticks... If he hadn't been an NBA Player most people would consider him poor white trash. That chip kept his engine churning and made him into the beast he is at everything he does.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 05-18-2012 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Lewes, Delaware
3,466 posts, read 3,147,352 times
Reputation: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Not taking anything away from Larry Bird... but unless its a three that you need, Michael Jordan is the person to take the last shot.

Having said Larry Bird was a lot more than just a pure shooter. He was a complete player simple and plain. He could shoot, pass, rebound, and defend. He was clutch, arrogant, and tough. And he was respected and feared by his peers.

And last but not least he was a fierce competitor and played with chip on his shoulder. He was a country white boy from the sticks... If he hadn't been an NBA Player most people would consider him poor white trash. That chip kept his engine churning and made him into the beast he is at everything he does.
Larry Birds jersey is one of the few if not only white guys jersey that you can wear in the ghetto and NOT get any crap. Bird was a beast, ask Magic how good Bird was, Magic calls him the best on the ground player ever. As great as Jordan was he didn't bring the NBA back, Bird and Magic did that.

As a Sixers fan I got to see how good Bird was on a regular basis, he could hit any shot on the court double teamed. It's rare to find a great shooter like Bird and someone to do the dirty work like he did + the work ethic he had.

(edit-two sentences deleted)

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-18-2012 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: see below
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,888,899 times
Reputation: 1228

Larry Bird the best ever - YouTube

"When i played, Larry Bird was the only one i feared. A lot black guys always ask me: could larry bird really play that good? I said man... Larry Bird was so good, it's frightening"
-Magic Johnson


Larry Bird was as athletic as john candy. But he was one of the smartest players ever, he made up for his lack of raw athletic ability with a high basketball IQ. look at the plays in this video.. there are no tomahawk dunks or crazy spin moves. he did the right thing at the right time, the right pump fake, the right step back, the right pass.. As i was watching videos and clips growing up my favorite thing about Bird was how everybody always mentioned his trash talking and how he wasnt a push over. he was always ready to get in anyones face and swing at the drop of a hat lol. mental toughness.

i watched a Bird documentary a few months back and they retold a story of the 1984 olympic basketball team.. how on one half of the court the college players were practicing, and on the other half the NBA pros were practicing. and the ball from the college players rolls over to the pros side.. Michael Jordan (still in college) walks over and asks Larry for the ball.. and Larry picks up the ball, looks at Jordan square in the eye and chucks it to the farthest side of the gym and tells him "go get it"

Bad ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 AM
 
16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
Reputation: 47952
I don't mind a little banter, but with respect to the OP, I'd like for people to comment here about Larry Bird and the era that he played. We already have other threads regarding peoples favorite basketball players and in this case I don't want to see an argument brewing here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 29,641,144 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Larry Bird talking trash and demanding the ball @ the last play of the game *cough* lebron *cough*


Larry Bird Diss on Xavier Mcdaniels - YouTube


^^^the arrogance- the confidence- the swagger- i am going to get the ball. im going to get it at this spot, and im going to shoot it in your face and make it. this doesnt exist in today's NBA
There are only THREE people in the HISTORY of the NBA who SHOULD demand the ball for the last play of the game - Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan. NO ONE ELSE!! Not James. Not Bryant. Not Wade. Magic, Bird and Jordan were and are still in a class above all others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top