U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: who wins
spurs in 4 0 0%
spurs in 5 3 6.52%
spurs in 6 17 36.96%
spurs in 7 3 6.52%
thunder in 4 0 0%
thunder in 5 3 6.52%
thunder in 6 12 26.09%
thunder in 7 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times

Advertisements

A guy I listen to on the radio (joe pags) played the national anthem before the spurs loss to the lakers. The spurs went 20 in a row after that game. He played again before game 2. Spurs went on and lost 3 in a row! I blame joe pags!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm allowed to post my feelings about how the series has turned in the past week. And for a team to be so dominant and lose 3 in a row all of a sudden is the definition of a choke whether you wanna believe it or not. I state what is happening in a playoff series and no one can argue that this will go down as the biggest choke in spurs history if they lose this series for the reasons below

1. they were two wins away from the finals

2. They had won 20 in a row
They're STILL two wins away, ya know.

Besides, this will NOT be the biggest choke in Spurs history if they lose game 6. Remember last year....?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

Besides, this will NOT be the biggest choke in Spurs history if they lose game 6. Remember last year....?
Yea... even if last year didnt happen. Losing to the #2 seed is not a "choke" job even if you are up 2-0.

The Knicks in '93 I believe were the #1 seed and were up 2-0 against the #2 Bulls and then lost 4 straight. Although some wouldnt call that a choke because it was Jordan, but a lot of people expected the Bulls to lose that year.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times
And the surprising move of the night was Pop started Manu Ginobli which showed signs of panic. Why in the world would he do that when the series was only tied and they were going back home? Not only that he weakened his bench and sent a message to the Thunder that said...."We are not sure how to beat you guys". So Pop may have ruined the chemistry of the starting five by making that crazy decision before the game.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

But the Thunder is 1 game away from the NBA Finals

And it will be the biggest choke because it's the round before the Finals. The other two chokes were in earlier rounds

2004-lost in 2nd round

2011-lost in 1st round

Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Yea... even if last year didnt happen. Losing to the #2 seed is not a "choke" job even if you are up 2-0.

The Knicks in '93 I believe were the #1 seed and were up 2-0 against the #2 Bulls and then lost 4 straight. Although some wouldnt call that a choke because it was Jordan, but a lot of people expected the Bulls to lose that year.
I'm going to explain the definition of CHOKE to you when it comes to the NBA Playoffs. Definition is below

"When a team leads a series 2-0 and loses the next 4 games it is a CHOKE."

"When a team has the best record in regular season and lose in 1st round its a CHOKE"

"When a team gets swept in a playoff series it is a CHOKE"

Now, it's not a choke if the team is battling the other team in a later round of the playoffs. For example, if the Spurs win Game 6 and lose Game 7 then this series lost will not be considered a Choke because they would have shown one last ounce of fight in them before losing the series. But anytime a team loses 4 games in a row when leading the series 2-0 it will always be a choke job.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm going to explain the definition of CHOKE to you when it comes to the NBA Playoffs. Definition is below

"When a team leads a series 2-0 and loses the next 4 games it is a CHOKE."

"When a team has the best record in regular season and lose in 1st round its a CHOKE"

"When a team gets swept in a playoff series it is a CHOKE"

Now, it's not a choke if the team is battling the other team in a later round of the playoffs. For example, if the Spurs win Game 6 and lose Game 7 then this series lost will not be considered a Choke because they would have shown one last ounce of fight in them before losing the series. But anytime a team loses 4 games in a row when leading the series 2-0 it will always be a choke job.
Thanks for explaining YOUR definition of choke to me...

Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Thanks for explaining YOUR definition of choke to me...
It's not my definition of Choke, it's a universal definition of Choke and the teams who quickly come to mind are

1993 Knicks
1994 Sonics
1999 Heat
2000 Blazers
2004 Spurs
2006 Mavs
2011 Spurs

Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
I'm glad OKC won Game 6. This makes for better drama, imo.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 PM

3,064 posts, read 4,199,781 times
In the polls, I picked OKC in six. Although I didn't state it, that's what I put for the polls. I hope I am right. I would like to see OKC against the Heat. Both young talented teams. One's loved (OKC) and ones almost universally hated (the Heat). I hope this happens. I don't hate the Spurs, like I've stated many times. I just think it would be a more interesting match up if OKC goes to the finals. While we're on that subject, the Heat still have to make it there. It's not an automatic. But with the way Ray Allen has played, it is going to be very hard for Boston to overcome the Heat. Before all the injuries and the playoffs started I picked Boston to win the East. If by some miracle that happens, I should take up gambling. I would have made a killing on the Spurs/OKC matchup. Since I thought everyone was overlooking OKC. There are a few on here, who didn't jump on the Spurs bandwagon before the series started. You know who you are. One rhymes with "peg". I recall you being uncertain as well. I might have been "uncertain", but I know for a fact that in the poll I picked OKC in six. I just went back to review. Greg you called them in six on page two. I give you props. There was only a few of us who had them winning it. I said I was unsure, but I picked them in the poll in six. I just didn't want to put it out there in case I was dead wrong..Looks like we were on the same page. I take that back, after reviewing the pages, you flip flopped like crazy. I just kept my mouth shut, because I had a feeling they would tie it up. A lot of people were overlooking them. I knew they were better than that.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 06-05-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball