U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,273,755 times

Advertisements

The Bulls had the best reg season record with this squad, even with Deng's torn ligament & Rose's injuries. I question how much of an upgrade Gasol is over Boozer. Gasol is 32 now and might be starting to decline. Remember what happened with the bulls with Ben Wallace.

The Bulls need a 2 guard, not a power forward. As much as I liked the move to get Rip H, he's 34 now and after a year of injuries, I think unlikely to return to form. Bulls just need a 2 guard who can play D, pass, and hit the open 3 to get to the next level. Must be a guy like that somewhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So what is considered in the NBA? 32? Because if so then

Wade has 2 years left
Melo has 4 years left
Lebron has 4 years left
Kobe turns 34 in about 3 months.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They will have to give up something to get Gasol.
Yeah but Gasol is due to get 19mil each of the next two years and the luxury tax is going to start around 58mil and the Lakers will be in the penalty.

The Lakers are staring at a tax penalty of about $100million dollars the season after next.

Bulls could give up Boozer plus a bench player, but not someone of Gibsons skill.
More like Brewer, Watson, Korver types.

That still doesn't fix the fact that the Lakers appear to have badly mismanaged their contracts heading into the CBA. The Buss family isn't going to want to eat a $100mil penalty.

I don't think people understand just how screwed the Lakers are at this point. I'm thinking rebuild but that will get ugly. There is huge drama brewing in LA.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah but Gasol is due to get 19mil each of the next two years and the luxury tax is going to start around 58mil and the Lakers will be in the penalty.

The Lakers are staring at a tax penalty of about $100million dollars the season after next.

Bulls could give up Boozer plus a bench player, but not someone of Gibsons skill.
More like Brewer, Watson, Korver types.

That still doesn't fix the fact that the Lakers appear to have badly mismanaged their contracts heading into the CBA. The Buss family isn't going to want to eat a $100mil penalty.

I don't think people understand just how screwed the Lakers are at this point. I'm thinking rebuild but that will get ugly. There is huge drama brewing in LA.

nope. that is the cap number, BUT the tax will not start until over 70 mil +/-. everything salary cap wise is expected to stay about the same as it was for this season. teams over 58+ mil WILL NOT be paying tax on anything until they go over 70-74 mil. (dont remember the exact number on the tax line)

the nba salary cap is a soft cap and a real pain to deal with or know the ins and outs. heck its kinda like the tax codes in that regard.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
So what happens from 58 mil to 74 mil then?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
So what happens from 58 mil to 74 mil then?
from what i was reading it is more likely going to have a cap around 60-61 mil and the tax around 74. the difference is given for resigning current players mostly. so say duncan is resigning this summer (we already know he is), the spurs can go over the 60 mil mark to resign him but they would not be able to go over the 74 mark.

there is more to it then that but thats a short simple explanation. this doesnt take into account exceptions (bi annual/midlevel/vet minimums) which will count toward the lux tax. some of that has changed in the new CBA also.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM

297 posts, read 340,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah. If you start counting 3 years ago....

I showed the 4th quarter stats for Kobe. He shot <30%.

He is getting tired legs and refuses to accept a different role. Recipe for disaster.

Kobe Favre.
In Favre's second to final season he had one hell of a year. His best year ever actually. Heck, he led his team to the NFC championship game two out of his last four seasons.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
In Favre's second to final season he had one hell of a year. His best year ever actually. Heck, he led his team to the NFC championship game two out of his last four seasons.
Considering you only have to win one game in the playoffs to make it to the conference finals as a division winner (which both his teams were)...

that is equivalent to taking your team to the second round in the NBA which Kobe has done the last 2 years.

So I think the Kobe Favre comparison is fair in that regard...

Now having said all that. I think the comparison to Favre was made because of the Diva-ish type of behavior. Not the play on the field.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
nope. that is the cap number, BUT the tax will not start until over 70 mil +/-. everything salary cap wise is expected to stay about the same as it was for this season. teams over 58+ mil WILL NOT be paying tax on anything until they go over 70-74 mil. (dont remember the exact number on the tax line)

the nba salary cap is a soft cap and a real pain to deal with or know the ins and outs. heck its kinda like the tax codes in that regard.
I first thought it was 70ish but had recently read an article claiming it would be more like 58. The writer seemed to really know their stuff though.

Now I'm confused.

Last edited by Mathguy; 05-30-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Considering you only have to win one game in the playoffs to make it to the conference finals as a division winner (which both his teams were)...

that is equivalent to taking your team to the second round in the NBA which Kobe has done the last 2 years.

So I think the Kobe Favre comparison is fair in that regard...

Now having said all that. I think the comparison to Favre was made because of the Diva-ish type of behavior. Not the play on the field.
Pretty much.

I admire that they are both as tough of competitor as you will find and that's what made them great.

However in Favre case he didn't want to end his streak and hurt his teams in his later years by playing hurt or not pacing himself for the playoffs by taking games off against scrubby teams. (He drug the Jets right out of the playoffs the one year by playing hurt and putting up a string of 40pt. passer ratings.)

Kobe had a bad series vs. OKC.....really bad. His 4th quarter production was the worst I've seen since he was a developing teenager and it's documented in another thread.

It's not that he isn't still a great player, it's that he isn't pacing himself and then expects to explode in the 4th quarter like in the old days but in reality he's shooting long, contested jump shots with tired legs and a hand in his face because his separation and shot selection aren't good and he doesn't have the same gas in his tank like he would have 2-3 years ago. He is not adapting his game to his aging IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or