U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,440,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
People love some Mike Vick or Mike Tyson, but they hate a guy who has been nothing but a good role model for kids and hate a team who truly cares about the community where they are located...So continue the hate everybody. People are just jealous of Miami and the bond we have as natives.
I assume you are referring to LeJudas James when you refer to a "guy who has been nothing but a good role model for kids and hate a team who truly cares about the community where they are located". First, I still don't really 'like' Vick or Tyson, I am ok w/Vick having another chance and he appears changed, but it is still hard to overlook his past actions. I never really liked Tyson, but in his defense, guy has to have some mental/brain damage to do some of the things he has done and/or said (although, have to say he has given us some of the most memorable sound-bites in sports!). Back to the 'good role model' you refer too, just b/c a guy does some good public announcements (while he gets paid I might add) for State Farm about staying in school, and he does his annual bike event in Akron to raise money for Akron public schools (which need all the help they can get), and I'm sure he does a few other things beyond that; but that alone doesn't make him a good role model. Sure, those are good things, and I applaud him for doing them, but it doesn't excuse him for his over-the-top arrogance he displays (not 1, not 2, not 6, not 7 - hopefully he's right and they end up w/0 championships), and the fact that he always is looking for the 'easy' way out. I don't know if this comes from his high school/AAU days when he fled to a private school where they recruit players so his team could dominate the state of Ohio or what, but I don't want my child looking to a guy like him as their 'role model.' Plus, how soon everyone (outside of Cleveland anyway) forgot how he totally quit in Game 5 of the 2010 series vs. Boston - watch that game again sometime, and there is no way a player of his talent should play that awful in any game. B/c we should all want our children to look to grown men who check out and quit when they don't like what is happening - great thing to teach our children! To be fair though, there are probably less than 1% of pro athletes that I really would want my child to 'look up too as a role model' - so it's not just him.

Bottom line, he is disliked (as the rest of the 'Heatles' are) b/c of their arrogance, constant whining to referees when they shouldn't need to b/c they get the majority of the calls anyway, and most importantly that they tried to take the easy way out by joining forces. So of course the rest of America is going to be happy when they fall, we love underdogs and guys who work hard and leave it all on the floor. I don't like the Celtics either, but you have to respect an old vet like Garnett whether you like him or not personally for the way he leaves it all on the floor, even in his 17th season. The same can't be said about James. How can a team w/2 of the top 5 players in the game and probably 3 of the top 15 not 'figure' it out?? The only answer is, they have to lack heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,440,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Not sure if they could have beaten Dallas. The biggest mistake they made IMO was bringing in Shaq and having him and Z play such a big role. Great guys but they just seemed to slow the team down. The team seemed to do better when they went up tempo. I may be crazy though. I am no basketball expert.
Well, that and the fact that James flat out quit in pivotal game 5 of that Boston series (at least he didn't do that this year for you Miami fans, although he did still have his typical quiet 4th quarter and the result was still the same)! Had they had Byron coaching that season instead of Mike Brown, think that would have made a difference too.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,159,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
1. I don't have time to hate on two teams.

2. I can laugh in his haters faces.

3. I hate haters and love to see them dismissed.

4. I'll laugh at all those who hated on a guy
You have a lot of great points. Tackled.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,186,638 times
dont have time to hate.....i hate haters....

Im confused

Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I agree 100 percent, these people act like they have nothing worth 'really' fighting for in life, so all that negative energy inside them goes into hating a basketball team. I too am a Miami native and Heat fan and I get sick of people calling us all bandwagoners ect. I'll be a Heat fan the rest of my life as I have been since we got a team in Miami. People love some Mike Vick or Mike Tyson, but they hate a guy who has been nothing but a good role model for kids and hate a team who truly cares about the community where they are located...So continue the hate everybody. People are just jealous of Miami and the bond we have as natives.
You know, all of the people that hate the Heat don't sit around all day long and trash the Heat and think about how much they hate them. People have lives outside of basketball.

People don't like LeBron because of the decision and the way he handled his free agency first and foremost. The team he went to was subject to the same hate. If he had gone to the Clippers people would be having the same reaction. People did not single out Miami for no reason.

Also, the Heat are not the only NBA team that is active in the community.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,186,638 times
not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4......

douche bag, plain and simple

Old 06-07-2012, 08:24 AM

124 posts, read 142,184 times
My favorite Lebron highlight from game 5

Oh my arm! It's broken!!! - YouTube

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,050 times
Outside of Cleveland, I think fans would have moved past 'the decision'. We've seen plenty of athletes do far worse than that. I think the whole celebration and claim of 'easily' winning 8 championships is what did, and does it, for me. Frankly, as a professional athlete, why would you want winning a championship to be easy? The champagne is much sweeter when you overcome adversity, not take the easy way to glory.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
The 2011 and 2012 Miami Heat are hated just like the 1988 and 1989 Detroit Pistons. Nobody but the people in Detroit liked that team and all rooted for them to fail and lose to whoever. So the Heat are like that team without the rings because of how they came together. I always been a Lebron Fan and would love to see him get a ring so that so many fans out there can cry.

The same way I rooted for Isiah Thomas and wanted him to get a ring.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,147,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The 2011 and 2012 Miami Heat are hated just like the 1988 and 1989 Detroit Pistons. Nobody but the people in Detroit liked that team and all rooted for them to fail and lose to whoever. So the Heat are like that team without the rings because of how they came together. I always been a Lebron Fan and would love to see him get a ring so that so many fans out there can cry.

The same way I rooted for Isiah Thomas and wanted him to get a ring.
The Pistons were dirty, they didn't bow down to Jordan and for one I was a fan of them. I don't hate the Heat or Lebron, but I love to see a favorite like them get beat, the same way other people liked to see the Phillies or Eagles get beat.

Lebron, with the "Chosen one" tattoo, the "king" stuff , Jordan's number, and the not one or two or three junk asked for it.

I have no vested interest in any of the teams left, I can't stand the Celtics, never could and that comes from the '80s with them beating the Sixers, I certainly don't like the Heat who thought winning the NBA championship would be a cakewalk, but I don't hate either of them. I'm rooting for OKC because Durant is my favorite player left, then Pierce, and lastly would be Wade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball