U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Rondo 10 62.50%
Parker 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 03:39 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,240 times

Advertisements

One word. Consistency. Tony has it and Rondo lacks it. This is actually an easy one. Parker by a mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:48 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,889,596 times
Rondo.
If he had a jumpshot he'd be top 3 in the league. That's the only thing he's lacking in my opinion. His defense and rebounding are great and he's bigger and stronger than parker.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 AM

51,914 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
One word. Consistency. Tony has it and Rondo lacks it. This is actually an easy one. Parker by a mile.
In fairness rondo is 25 and just in his 5th year in the league. His game has been a work in progress in recent years.

All I know is he is just killing the Heat.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:49 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
I'm still undecided on Rondo. I recognize that he's a talented player, but he plays on a team with three future HOFers. I think I would average at least 8 assists per game in the NBA if I could throw the ball to Ray Allen and Paul Pierce all night. Rondo earns a lot of his buckets the hard way (slashing, creating off the dribble), but he also gets a lot of easy points moving without the ball because so much attention has to be devoted to sharp shooting superstars on the perimeter (as well as KG who passes pretty well on the inside).

Parker fell into a great situation with possibly the greatest PF ever on his team, but I think Parker could put up the same numbers no matter what he team he played for. He's a more consistent shooter than Rondo and he might have the best body control in the NBA when it comes to finishing around the basket. I would give Rondo the edge on defense, but I'm the kind of guy who would take great offense over great defense.

So I gotta go with TP.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:04 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,564,600 times
Parker has quietly put together a hall of fame career, but I'd still take Rondo.

Have you guys not seen the stat charts they put up for Rondo during games? he's got more playoff triple-doubles in fewer games than almost anybody in the NBA. He's got more 10+ assist games in the playoffs than almost any other player in NBA history.

Tony is a great scorer and facilitator, but I'm not sure he's as good as Rondo. Even in his prime.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 AM

51,914 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Parker has quietly put together a hall of fame career, but I'd still take Rondo.

Have you guys not seen the stat charts they put up for Rondo during games? he's got more playoff triple-doubles in fewer games than almost anybody in the NBA. He's got more 10+ assist games in the playoffs than almost any other player in NBA history.

Tony is a great scorer and facilitator, but I'm not sure he's as good as Rondo. Even in his prime.
And Rondo has already been on 4 all-nba defensive teams and is only 25.

P.S. I agree that Parker is probably going to be a HOFer. It's just that Rondo is arguably on the same path. Again, I consider them about equal just depends what other pieces you have.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,055,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm still undecided on Rondo. I recognize that he's a talented player, but he plays on a team with three future HOFers. I think I would average at least 8 assists per game in the NBA if I could throw the ball to Ray Allen and Paul Pierce all night. Rondo earns a lot of his buckets the hard way (slashing, creating off the dribble), but he also gets a lot of easy points moving without the ball because so much attention has to be devoted to sharp shooting superstars on the perimeter (as well as KG who passes pretty well on the inside).

Parker fell into a great situation with possibly the greatest PF ever on his team, but I think Parker could put up the same numbers no matter what he team he played for. He's a more consistent shooter than Rondo and he might have the best body control in the NBA when it comes to finishing around the basket. I would give Rondo the edge on defense, but I'm the kind of guy who would take great offense over great defense.

So I gotta go with TP.
It's true Rondo has played on a great team his whole career. However as the Big 3 have gotton older and worse(especially Allen, and to a lesser extent Pierce) Rondo has gotton better and better. It might be fair to say that Rondo was "carried" in the Celtics first championship run, but that's certainly not true now. And Parker has also played with 2 hall of famers and probably the best power forward of all time, so I wouldn't say Parker has a much larger role on the Spurs.
Also Rondo's numbers are quite a bit better than Parker's.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,564,600 times
Hell, I'd even argue that Rondo was the glue that held them together for that championship run in2008.

And it isn't like Parker didn't have a monster squad most of his career. Duncan, Ginobili in his prime, and a bunch of key role players like Robert Horry, Steve Smith, Bruce Bowen, etc.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm still undecided on Rondo. I recognize that he's a talented player, but he plays on a team with three future HOFers.
Those guys are equally dependent on Rondo, probably moreso at this stage of their careers. I've seen Rondo play quite a bit with the Celtics role players and his effectiveness doesn't diminish. He controls the pace, great defensively, outstanding rebounder at his size, great passer, and has a great feel for the game. He'll be a monster if he can get a consistent jumpshot.

It's actually really hard to compare them because they're different kinds of point guards. Alot depends on team needs....

Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,179,162 times
Maybe a good test would be, put Rondo or Parker on a nobody team. Say the Washington Wizards or Toronto. Then, who would be better?

-The problem with Rondo, you're dishing the ball to 3 Celtic elites.

Pierce is second all time as a Celtics scorer.

Pierce, KG and Allen, combined have more career points than Bird, Chief and McHale. That's got to say something.

I think parker would be better on a nobody team, better facilitator, more consistency, better leadership. He has better fundamentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball