U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Rondo 10 62.50%
Parker 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:16 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,900,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Maybe a good test would be, put Rondo or Parker on a nobody team. Say the Washington Wizards or Toronto. Then, who would be better?

-The problem with Rondo, you're dishing the ball to 3 Celtic elites.

Pierce is second all time as a Celtics scorer.

Pierce, KG and Allen, combined have more career points than Bird, Chief and McHale. That's got to say something.

I think parker would be better on a nobody team, better facilitator, more consistency, better leadership. He has better fundamentals.
As has already been stated, the Celtics big 3 at 35/36 feed a lot off Rondo, moreso than he off them. It's very easy to say 'well Rondo has Pierce,Allen, Garnett',but it's a copout. Watch the Celtics play a few times; it's very apparent that Rondo is the engine of that team.

They're two entirely different breeds of point guard. Rondo is more a pure pass first point guard, Parker is more of a scoring point. Both of them are very good to great at different aspects of the game. I mean hell, Parker is an outstanding guard but we're acting like he doesn't have guys named Duncan and Ginobli on his side throughout his career. Why does Rondo always seems to catch flak for having star teammates, all of which are past their prime by the way.

Really, they're two different players with different skillsets. I don't see how theyre comparable because of this. Its easier to compare Rose vs Westbrook as they have a similar game, similar physical attributes. But Rondo and Parker? It's like asking what's better between apples and oranges. The fairest thing to say is that each man's skillset may fit a certain situation( team makeup) better.

Last edited by Roman77; 06-05-2012 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,199,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
As has already been stated, the Celtics big 3 at 35/36 feed a lot off Rondo, moreso than he off them. It's very easy to say 'well Rondo has Pierce,Allen, Garnett',but it's a copout. Watch the Celtics play a few times; it's very apparent that Rondo is the engine of that team.

They're two entirely different breeds of point guard. Rondo is more a pure pass first point guard, Parker is more of a scoring point. Both of them are very good to great at different aspects of the game. I mean hell, Parker is an outstanding guard but we're acting like he doesn't have guys named Duncan and Ginobli on his side throughout his career. Why does Rondo always seems to catch flak for having star teammates, all of which are past their prime by the way.

Really, they're two different players with different skillsets. I don't see how theyre comparable because of this. Its easier to compare Rose vs Westbrook as they have a similar game, similar physical attributes. But Rondo and Parker? It's like asking what's better between apples and oranges. The fairest thing to say is that each man's skillset may fit a certain situation( team makeup) better.
I think rondo catches flack,

Only career 10.8 points a game. Parker career 16.8.

I don't think pierce, kg and allen are necessarily over the hill. Pierce averaged 19 a game this season.

Ray allen can still shoot 3's. Averaged 45% from behind the line this season? Allen 91% from the free throw line? That's not over the hill.

These guys are old and their numbers have gone down, but they are still dangerous.

I think on an all time point guard list, parkers name has to be higher right now. But rondo could easily surpass him.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think rondo catches flack,

Only career 10.8 points a game. Parker career 16.8.

I don't think pierce, kg and allen are necessarily over the hill. Pierce averaged 19 a game this season.

Ray allen can still shoot 3's. Averaged 45% from behind the line this season? Allen 91% from the free throw line? That's not over the hill.

These guys are old and their numbers have gone down, but they are still dangerous.

I think on an all time point guard list, parkers name has to be higher right now. But rondo could easily surpass him.
We all know Parker is a better scorer. But are we ignoring things like passing, defense, rebounding, areas where Rondo is decidedly better? Again, two different players, two different skillsets. 'Better' in this case comes down to who's the better fit based around the teams makeup. Really, in terms of effectiveness, they're probably in the same ballpark but they impact the game in different ways.

Of course the big three can still play. Great players are great players, even as they age. But Rondo's playmaking is more vital to those guys continued success than vice versa, at this stage of their careers. I mean, the guy has like what? 11 career postseason triple doubles? At some point the 'but but he has Garnett/Allen/Pierce' logic has to be put to bed.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,199,448 times
Quote:
We all know Parker is a better scorer. But are we ignoring things like passing, defense, rebounding, areas where Rondo is decidedly better? Again, two different players, two different skillsets. 'Better' in this case comes down to who's the better fit based around the teams makeup. Really, in terms of effectiveness, they're probably in the same ballpark but they impact the game in different ways.

Of course the big three can still play. Great players are great players, even as they age. But Rondo's playmaking is more vital to those guys continued success than vice versa, at this stage of their careers. I mean, the guy has like what? 11 career postseason triple doubles? At some point the 'but but he has Garnett/Allen/Pierce' logic has to be put to bed.
That's true.

I think Rondo has simply been overshadowed by Garnett, Allen and Pierce. That's why he doesn't get the credit that he probably should. Duncan is so non flashy, and the spurs play such good team ball, parkers abilities can shine more.

I think ray allen is underrated on an all time NBA list. He could have put up more complete career numbers (like playoff scoring and 3 pointers made, clutch playoff moments) if he had been with a better team than the bucks and sonics for so long.

Maybe the misconception of Rondo is, the big 3 Garnett/Allen/Pierce could drive the Celtics themselves. And when they had perkins and davis, that's all they needed.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 PM

2,221 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Roooooondo

Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,425,991 times
Their teammates are a wash. Their different skillsets are a wash.

The separation is their age, experience, and rings. and right now Parker has Rondo by a 4 years maybe. And he also has him 3-1 rings.

So will Rondo have 3 rings by the time he is Parker's age is the question?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,241,621 times
I don't think rondo is a better passer, more his system allows for more assists to the pg then the spurs system. Spurs don't generally even shoot after a drive and kick from Parker.

Rondo is a better rebounder for sure, his defense is better 1on1 but Parker is a much better shooter and scorer. Their passing IMO is about equal. It boils down to maturity in this to me, and Parker (being older) is more mature. Rondo is getting better but he still has his andrew Bynum moments.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I don't think rondo is a better passer, more his system allows for more assists to the pg then the spurs system. S
I'm not speaking about the assist numbers, I'm speaking strictly as a passer, Rondo at his core is a passer and to me has more natural passing instincts; I've never thought of Parker has being in the upper echelon of passers at the point guard spot.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
T
So will Rondo have 3 rings by the time he is Parker's age is the question?
Difficult to guess, depends on how the Celtics rebuild when the big 3 move on, or if Rondo winds up elsewhere. Parker has played his entire career with an excellent organization, surrounded by quality teammates and stellar coaching. He's been in a great position to win titles.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:17 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,241,621 times
Quote:
I'm not speaking about the assist numbers, I'm speaking strictly as a passer, Rondo at his core is a passer and to me has more natural passing instincts; I've never thought of Parker has being in the upper echelon of passers at the point guard spot.
i honestly think that goes back to the system. parker has never been asked to really set up and pass the ball. he has not had to. he did win the skills challenge pretty handily at the all star game and while thats nothing really, it shows somewhat that he has more "skills" then he is given credit for. 5 yrs ago all parker had was points in the paint, now he has as consistent a 17'er as any PG in the game. people still dont think of him as a shooter but a drive to the paint kind of PG. doesnt mean he cant knock them down just part of the perception of the system and what people are used to seeing.

its kinda like the whole "the spurs are boring" mentality. people have it stuck in their head from 2005 and even after watching the spurs drop 100+ ppg and run like crazy the last couple of seasons, doing the same thing the wildly entertaining dantoni suns did, they are still boring.

just generalizing not talking you greg but im sure you get my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball