U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Rondo 10 62.50%
Parker 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i honestly think that goes back to the system. parker has never been asked to really set up and pass the ball. he has not had to.
Well the thing is, we can only go by the available evidence. Watching them both, Rondo appears the better passer to me. Now whether Parker has passing skills that he's never had to utilize due to SA's system, we can really only speculate. I'm not saying he's a bad passer, or even average. He's good, I just don't think he's quite as adept as Rondo is, again I only base that off what I've seen of both players.

By the same measure, one could speculate that Rondo is a better scorer than his numbers would suggest, but the system calls for him to be more a distributor, and so we can only go by what we've seen of his scoring arsenal. We've seen occasions where Rondo has picked up his scoring in the absence of one or two of the big 3, so I'd say he is a capable scorer( needs work on his jumper though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:33 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Well the thing is, we can only go by the available evidence. Watching them both, Rondo appears the better passer to me. Now whether Parker has passing skills that he's never had to utilize due to SA's system, we can really only speculate. I'm not saying he's a bad passer, or even average. He's good, I just don't think he's quite as adept as Rondo is, again I only base that off what I've seen of both players.

By the same measure, one could speculate that Rondo is a better scorer than his numbers would suggest, but the system calls for him to be more a distributor, and so we can only go by what we've seen of his scoring arsenal. We've seen occasions where Rondo has picked up his scoring in the absence of one or two of the big 3, so I'd say he is a capable scorer( needs work on his jumper though).
Yea in both scenarios you have to go by the evidence.

Rondo avgs about 3 more assist in his career. And Tony averages about 6 more points.

So I think its safe to say Rondo is a better passer. And Parker is a better scorer.

Rondo avgs 4 rebounds and Parker 3. Rondo avgs 2 steals a game. While Parker avgs 1. So its safe to say Rondo is a better defender.

They shoot around the same % from the field. 49% for Parker and 48% for Rondo. Parker's FT% is at 74% while Rondo is 62%. Parker's 3pt% is 31% while Rondo's is 24%. So its safe to say Parker is a better shooter.

It's like tick for tack... That's why I say their skillsets are a wash.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
So I think its safe to say Rondo is a better passer. And Parker is a better scorer.
I'm not so sure you can say he is a better passer. The reality might just be that he passes more. You often see defenders sagging five feet away from Rondo daring him to shoot. Those are shots that Parker would probably take in those situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Rondo avgs 4 rebounds and Parker 3. Rondo avgs 2 steals a game. While Parker avgs 1. So its safe to say Rondo is a better defender.
You can easily look at the numbers and conclude that someone is a superior or inferior rebounder. But the story with defense is far more complicated. I'm sure Allen Iverson averaged 2 or so steals per game, but I would not consider him a first rate defender. More steals could be indicative of a proclivity to gamble on passes, which could also mean a tendency to get burned when you don't get the steal.

This is not to say that Rondo isn't a better defender than Parker. I'm just saying that statistics don't paint the full picture on the defensive end of the floor.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not so sure you can say he is a better passer. The reality might just be that he passes more. You often see defenders sagging five feet away from Rondo daring him to shoot. Those are shots that Parker would probably take in those situations.

You can easily look at the numbers and conclude that someone is a superior or inferior rebounder. But the story with defense is far more complicated. I'm sure Allen Iverson averaged 2 or so steals per game, but I would not consider him a first rate defender. More steals could be indicative of a proclivity to gamble on passes, which could also mean a tendency to get burned when you don't get the steal.

This is not to say that Rondo isn't a better defender than Parker. I'm just saying that statistics don't paint the full picture on the defensive end of the floor.
that's why I said its safe to say...

Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,004,641 times
Rondo is better overall.

Parker is better at scoring.

Rondo is better at passing and defending.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 AM

3,522 posts, read 3,926,017 times
I'll take Rondo, simply for his mentality.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
This is a no brainer, TONY PARKER because of the reasons below

1. Rondo is turnover prone

2. Rondo has a inconsistent jumpshot

3. Rondo has a bi-polar personality

4. Rondo misses too many layups

5. Rondo doesn't know how to control the pace of a game

The End

Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
This is a no brainer, TONY PARKER because of the reasons below

1. Rondo is turnover prone

2. Rondo has a inconsistent jumpshot

3. Rondo has a bi-polar personality

4. Rondo misses too many layups

5. Rondo doesn't know how to control the pace of a game

The End
The Basketball Guru at work again. Ok, let's see here.....

1. His assist to turnover ratio is 3:31-1, 11.9 assists to 3.6 turnovers. That's hardly turnover prone. Parker's ratio is 1:89-1 or 6.8 assists to 3.6 turnovers. So in essence they average the same number of turnovers, but Rondo gets an extra 5 assists per game. I'm sure you knew that though.

2. True

3. Head-strong, yeah. Doesn't seem to impact him on-court though. Irrelevant....

4. Meh, makes a lot too. If you're scoring 17 points a game in the playoffs with an inconsistent jumpshot and free throw shooting, then he must be getting his points somehow.

5. Bullshot. Controlling the pace of the game is one of his greatest strengths.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The Basketball Guru at work again. Ok, let's see here.....

1. His assist to turnover ratio is 3:31-1, 11.9 assists to 3.6 turnovers. That's hardly turnover prone. Parker's ratio is 1:89-1 or 6.8 assists to 3.6 turnovers. So in essence they average the same number of turnovers, but Rondo gets an extra 5 assists per game. I'm sure you knew that though.

2. True

3. Head-strong, yeah. Doesn't seem to impact him on-court though. Irrelevant....

4. Meh, makes a lot too. If you're scoring 17 points a game in the playoffs with an inconsistent jumpshot and free throw shooting, then he must be getting his points somehow.

5. Bullshot. Controlling the pace of the game is one of his greatest strengths.

Not all the time. If the Celtics are up by 10 with 3 mins left in the game, Rondo will still try and run fast breaks and not realizing he doesn't need to since his team is in position to win the game. His basketball IQ sometimes doesn't seem that strong.

For example, Late in Game 5 the Celtics were up by 4 with 1:33 left and the shot clock was running down. Rondo had the ball in his hand and instead of driving to the basketball to draw a foul so he can extend the lead to 6 pts, he just stands there and shoots a jumpshot giving the Heat another opportunity to cut the 4 point lead to 2 or 1.

Celtics ended up winning despite his poor game management skills.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
His basketball IQ sometimes doesn't seem that strong.

Another thing that's he's given a lot of credit for. Hell, Doc River said Rondo is the smartest player he's ever coached. But, we'll take your word for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball