Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think about the current state of his game? When he won the Ship back in '06, I thought he had developed a fairly consistent jump shot, and that his future would hold many scoring titles and MVPs. After he got injured, I thought his jumper would improve, but it seems like it's actually gotten worse. Today he seems to be a player who scores primarily off cuts to the basket and shores up point guard responsibilities from time to time. I used to think he was a Top 5 player, but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Am I far off the mark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Wade's midrange game is an oddity. After the 2006 finals, when his midrange was money, you figured he would have continued along that line. Then the injuries....in 2009 during his comeback year his mid-range was money again, but it's regressed since. It's one thing to be a streaky mid-range shooter, but he actually has seasons where it's good, and seasons where it isn't. Odd.

I still think he's top 5 at his best, but slowly it seems like he's allowing Lebron to establish a clear lead role on the Heat, and he fill in the gaps when needed. The other thing is, at 30, he has to pick his spots more than 3-4 years ago.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Wade's midrange game is an oddity. After the 2006 finals, when his midrange was money, you figured he would have continued along that line. Then the injuries....in 2009 during his comeback year his mid-range was money again, but it's regressed since. It's one thing to be a streaky mid-range shooter, but he actually has seasons where it's good, and seasons where it isn't. Odd.
Yep. Most shooters are streaky during the season. With Wade, his shot either joins him for the current season or it doesn't. It is quite peculiar indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I still think he's top 5 at his best, but slowly it seems like he's allowing Lebron to establish a clear lead role on the Heat, and he fill in the gaps when needed. The other thing is, at 30, he has to pick his spots more than 3-4 years ago.
He's definitely much slower than he was four years ago. And he's hesitant to shoot. He passes up a lot of open shots that he would have drained automatically back in 2006. It seems his thing now is, Pump Fake, Drive, Jump, then Pass.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM

Article on this very topic.

Miami Heat: At 30, Heat guard Dwyane Wade is refining his game to prolong his career. - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM

Timely article!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yep. Most shooters are streaky during the season. With Wade, his shot either joins him for the current season or it doesn't. It is quite peculiar indeed.

He's definitely much slower than he was four years ago. And he's hesitant to shoot. He passes up a lot of open shots that he would have drained automatically back in 2006. It seems his thing now is, Pump Fake, Drive, Jump, then Pass.
I wouldn't say he's slower (he's still quick as hell), but I would say he lets Lebron take the driver's seat on many occasions. He's becoming lazy, IMO.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I wouldn't say he's slower (he's still quick as hell), but I would say he lets Lebron take the driver's seat on many occasions. He's becoming lazy, IMO.
He definitely looks slower to me. He was much more explosive a few years ago. He still has those buttery smooth handles, however.

I just thought he'd have a more consistent jumper by now. Is it just me or does he pass up a lot of open shots? It's like he doesn't have much confidence in his shot more than 13 feet from the basket. He seems to score more of his points by being crafty and moving well without the ball.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,938 times
Are you guys aware that he has been playing injured from quite some time or this is just another "let's trash some Heat player" thread?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM

What the hell has been said in this thread, that leads you to conclude we're hating on anyone?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:12 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
I think he's struggling to adapt himself to Lebron. In order for him to be more effective with Lebron, his game has to change, but he hasn't been a player that played off the ball a lot. He just isn't the type of player that's going to spot up for jumpers. I believe if Lebron wasn't on the team we wouldn't see this decline in his play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball