U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who, and in how many games?
Thunder in 4 1 1.82%
Thunder in 5 7 12.73%
Thunder in 6 20 36.36%
Thunder in 7 6 10.91%
Heat in 4 1 1.82%
Heat in 5 8 14.55%
Heat in 6 2 3.64%
Heat in 7 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,429,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think it was a stupid shot. He had been making those types of shot all night long (and makes them consistently throughout the season).
Shooting a "FADE AWAY" shot is always a bad shot if you are losing by 2 with 12 secs left in the game. Now shooting a fade away shot in the 1st qtr is fine even though it's still a poor shot selection because you are going away from the basket instead of toward the basket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM

28,312 posts, read 26,335,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Shooting a "FADE AWAY" shot is always a bad shot if you are losing by 2 with 12 secs left in the game. Now shooting a fade away shot in the 1st qtr is fine even though it's still a poor shot selection because you are going away from the basket instead of toward the basket.
It was a good shot. I bet you wouldn't be saying it was a bad shot had it gone in. Instead you would be talking about what an incredible player KD is.

If you freeze frame the video at 0:24, you see that Lebron didn't even contest the shot. And he was no more than 6 feet away from the basket. I don't know how he could have gotten a better shot. If you're Scott Brooks, you really can't be upset with the three time NBA scoring leader taking an uncontested shot 6 feet away from the basket. As KD stated in his own words, "Man, I missed the shot!"

NBA Finals Thunder Heat Game 2 Kevin Durant's last shot - YouTube

Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM

I guess this is a bad shot, huh?

Kobe Bryant Game winner vs Milwaukee Bucks (December 16, 2009) (HQ) - YouTube

I don't see how it's a bad shot if a guy knocks down the shot regularly. It's only a bad shot, imo, if the shooter is clearly out of position, over-defended (which means there's an open man), or the shot is clearly beyond the player's skill level (i.e., it's not a shot he knocks down on the regular). It's one thing for Michael Jordan to take the game winning fade away jumper from 15 feet and another thing for B.J. Armstrong to do it.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:02 PM
FBJ

Quote:
It was a good shot. I bet you wouldn't be saying it was a bad shot had it gone in. Instead you would be talking about what an incredible player KD is.

If you freeze frame the video at 0:24, you see that Lebron didn't even contest the shot. And he was no more than 6 feet away from the basket. I don't know how he could have gotten a better shot. If you're Scott Brooks, you really can't be upset with the three time NBA scoring leader taking an uncontested shot 6 feet away from the basket. As KD stated in his own words, "Man, I missed the shot!"

NBA Finals Thunder Heat Game 2 Kevin Durant's last shot - YouTube

It was a bad shot for the reasons below

1. There was only 12 secs left so if he missed then was a good chance he wouldn't get another chance to tie

2. He had a clear path to the basketball and decided to stop and shoot a small fade away jumper

There should only be 2 scoring options with 12 secs left and down by 2

1. Drive to the basket so you can get a possible foul

2. Drive to the basket so you can set up someone for a wide open three pointer.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It was a bad shot for the reasons below 1. There was only 12 secs left so if he missed then was a good chance he wouldn't get another chance to tie
That doesn't explain why it was a bad shot. That would have been the case had he taken a 3 from half court or gone for a two-handed tomahawk dunk.

Quote:
2. He had a clear path to the basketball and decided to stop and shoot a small fade away jumper
He didn't have a clear path to the basket. Lebron was forcing him to go baseline and Bosh was coming over to help. If you freeze frame at 0:03, you see Bosh immediately sprint over to provide help side D. That's probably why he took the shot he did. Not to mention the fact that Lebron is an out-of-this-world athlete who can swat his shot out of there.

Quote:
1. Drive to the basket so you can get a possible foul
That's what he tried to do. And he probably did get fouled.

Quote:
2. Drive to the basket so you can set up someone for a wide open three pointer.
And what if Wade or Chalmers had shot the gap and intercepted the pass? Besides, he's the star player, so why wouldn't he take an uncontested jumper?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 PM
FBJ

Quote:
That doesn't explain why it was a bad shot. That would have been the case had he taken a 3 from half court or gone for a two-handed tomahawk dunk.

He didn't have a clear path to the basket. Lebron was forcing him to go baseline and Bosh was coming over to help. If you freeze frame at 0:03, you see Bosh immediately sprint over to provide help side D. That's probably why he took the shot he did. Not to mention the fact that Lebron is an out-of-this-world athlete who can swat his shot out of there.

That's what he tried to do. And he probably did get fouled.

And what if Wade or Chalmers had shot the gap and intercepted the pass? Besides, he's the star player, so why wouldn't he take an uncontested jumper?

I;m really surprised they didn't go for the 3 pointer because they have so many players who can shoot the three and since they were already up 1-0 in the series I say why not go for the win when one of the players below can hit the three

Durant
Westbrook
Fisher
Harden

Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I;m really surprised they didn't go for the 3 pointer because they have so many players who can shoot the three and since they were already up 1-0 in the series I say why not go for the win when one of the players below can hit the three

Durant
Westbrook
Fisher
Harden
Because you erased a 17 point deficit and the momentum's on your side and that momentum will likely carry over into overtime. There's no need to go for the 3 point "knock out" shot when you've already got the other team back on their heels. That's what Wade did when Lebron fouled out against Boston. It made sense in that case because it was a virtual certainty that the Celtics would beat them in overtime.

Durant took a high percentage shot that he makes 8 times out of 10. I didn't see anything wrong with his shot other than the fact it didn't go in.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Because you erased a 17 point deficit and the momentum's on your side and that momentum will likely carry over into overtime. There's no need to go for the 3 point "knock out" shot when you've already got the other team back on their heels. That's what Wade did when Lebron fouled out against Boston. It made sense in that case because it was a virtual certainty that the Celtics would beat them in overtime.

Durant took a high percentage shot that he makes 8 times out of 10. I didn't see anything wrong with his shot other than the fact it didn't go in.
It looks like Westbrook was annoyed Durant didn't drive to the basket on the video. We both know westbrook would have drove to the basket if he was in that situation. And you mentioned that Bosh came over to help so even if he did and Durant's shot was blocked, atleast he would have made the attempt to get a better shot and nothing could be said afterwards but

"That was great defense

Old 06-15-2012, 01:59 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,888,415 times
Quote:

There wasn't anything wrong with Durant's shot. In fact he was clearly fouled, but not called. I have no clue what TVSG is trying to say, but that's par for the course.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:40 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
There wasn't anything wrong with Durant's shot. In fact he was clearly fouled, but not called. I have no clue what TVSG is trying to say, but that's par for the course.
I;m trying to say when you get a clear path to the basket with 12 secs left you take it so you can get a better shot and a possible foul. Watch the video again and you will see the clear path he had.

And the foul wasn't called because the ref was on the opposite side and didn't see the contact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball