U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who, and in how many games?
Thunder in 4 1 1.82%
Thunder in 5 7 12.73%
Thunder in 6 20 36.36%
Thunder in 7 6 10.91%
Heat in 4 1 1.82%
Heat in 5 8 14.55%
Heat in 6 2 3.64%
Heat in 7 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,925,855 times

Advertisements

What if Lebron does a good defensive job on KD during the 4th quarter which is very possible...will Westbrook take it upon himself to make it an individual thing by doing all the scoring to get his team going? If he is not shooting well, that would be bad or will Westbrook distribute the ball and be patient? Also, what if Chalmers baits him or gets to his head about challenging him? OKC has shown the poise to get here though the Heat have been here last year, so their 2nd time around. The other matchup with Wade and Harden will be the subplot of the series.

Ibaka's presence down low is gonna be huge too. Bosh needs to hit his jumper consistently in order for Ibaka to not drift back into the paint. That shot altering and blocking ability looms large for OKC. The Heat's role players(Battier, Haslem, Miller) have to play very well to have a shot. They can't coast like the Celtic series.

Unless it is game 7, i think both teams are capable of winning on each other's home court, so not that big of a deal really. Poor FT shooting could cost the Heat at least one game.

Last edited by JL; 06-11-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:20 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,864,899 times
If this series goes 7 games there is no way in hell OKC loses. The experts in post #12 aren't that expert IMO. It's not 1978 fellas. Heat in 6 would be much more plausible.

First NBA Finals ever between two teams that don't end with an "S". LOL.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 06-11-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,502,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
If this series goes 7 games there is no way in hell OKC loses. The experts in post #12 aren't that expert IMO. It's not 1978 fellas. Heat in 6 would be much more plausible.

First NBA Finals ever between two teams that don't end with an "S". LOL.

HUH??? what are you talking about? 2011 Finals had HEAT and MAVS

Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,864,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
HUH??? what are you talking about? 2011 Finals had HEAT and MAVS
WTF are you talking about?

The Mavs ends with an "S". The Heat and Thunder don't. derp derp. Go headsmack yourself.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 06-11-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,623,184 times
All I can say is that OKC has impressed me more during the playoffs than the Miami Heat have, which is not to say that they haven't achieved as much, but that the Thunder have looked better winning it.

On the one hand, the Miami Heat were, as far as I could tell, a foregone conclusion for them to get out of the East. The Bulls with Rose might have made that more challenging, but I don't think they had the personnel to go with Miami anymore than the Celtics or Pacers. The Thunder, on the other hand, had bigger obstacles to overcome: three teams that still had significant portions of rosters from five of the previous title winners. The Heat did beat the Celtics, to their credit, but the Thunder had more of those caliber teams to dispatch, and most people still considered the Spurs to be odds-on faves to win the title until the Thunder finally did them in. And even in playing the Lakers and Mavs, the Thunder controlled two teams that were still considered very real threats to be competitive. Thus, in terms of just sizing up the impressiveness of the post-season performance, the edge has to go to OKC at this point.

When I look at the edges, I first start with where the teams were last year, and how they've progressed since that time. That's another intangible edge which probably goes to the Thunder. I say that because when I look at the Miami Heat's collapse against Dallas last year, I don't think it was a collapse due to immaturity or an inability to figure things out. Miami was a veteran team going up against another veteran team - and they got beaten on the perimeter, and beaten up inside by crushing shots from Nowitzki and good defense from guys like Chandler. To the point, I think you could argue that Miami was just beaten by a Dallas team that played better. By contrast, when I look at OKC, I see a team that had the tools to win, and they had the older veteran Mavs on the ropes but just didn't know how to finish them off late. I think OKC could have stopped the Mavs, but just didn't know how to get it done. That changed, and now you have to look at the two teams and compare the talent. I see a Thunder team that's younger, faster, and can bury the Heat from the line but can mix it up and go inside if they need to. It's a combination that was difficult for Miami to control last year. If Miami were the number one defensive team, if they had a clamp-down defense like the Pistons had back from 2004-2005, that would be one thing, but I don't sense that Miami's going to overwhelm the Thunder.

What Miami does have are three outstanding players, and one in particular can just go off and take over a game in a way that few others can. Moreover, that guy is extremely hungry and determined. That's an intangible that does count for something, and it could count for more if guys like Wade and Bosh can feed off that, and guys like Battier can be opportunistic scorers or make game-changing plays.

I'm going to say that the Thunder take this 4-2. I wouldn't be surprised to see Miami take game one, but I think the Thunder will begin to figure Miami out and put the pressure of the Heat to make adjustments.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,502,224 times
Quote:
WTF are you talking about?

The Mavs ends with an "S". The Heat and Thunder don't. derp derp. Go headsmack yourself.

I thought you were saying that no team has ever made the Finals that didn't end in a S

But i see you meant BOTH teams

Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,044,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsVikingsWild View Post
Man, this is the best NBA Finals matchup in all of it's history. I think it will be the Heat in Game 7 with a score of 117-116 in OT.
People keep saying Thunder will blow out the Heat, but I care to differ and agree with you. This will be a scrap for the title of world champions. I think Boston had better defense than OKC, this will be a shootout and fun series, may the fastest team win.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I don't think game one will matter for the Heat at all. Thunder will blow them out. How the Heat react to getting blown out in game one will be key. Lay down or fight back? I'm going with lay down. Thunder in 5.

This is what I think as well. I am a Heat fan and expect Thunder to do some damage in game one, but like every series, you adapt and learn from previous experiences..Heat have had so much pressure on them that it's hard to break their will anymore...

Old 06-12-2012, 01:02 AM

"It's a tough call. I like OKC's depth much better"

I've heard about OKC and thier depth all day long, maybe I'm wrong, but the only great player better than any Heat bench player is Harden....Who else is on that OKC bench that blows out the abilities of the Heat bench?

Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 AM

13,228 posts, read 18,037,374 times
The weatherman says, "With summer upon us, expect daytime HEATing to result in THUNDERstorms by the end of the day. That means the Thunder will win the NBA Finals in seven games."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball