U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,894,847 times

Advertisements

To say Stern owned Rome is a bit much. They both look like fools. Except Rome is an animated reporter so it is expected. Stern should have held it together. You would never hear Roger Goddell stoop that low.

I score it in favor of Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,225,435 times
Actually, yeah.... I think it was a legitamte question as well.

Stern didn't answer, so this doesn't help his case.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 AM

16,536 posts, read 21,023,664 times
If Stern would have straight up answered the question, and THEN turned the tables on Rome regarding that specific issue, I would have felt better about how David Stern looked. And what I mean on turning the tables is going after Rome about that specific allegation and ONLY that allegation. And no, I don't like the NBA lottery business, never did.

Beating on ones wife? Huh?

Then again I'm not a fan of that much schtick in a radio show. And it's three hours of shtick. The constant repetitiveness, the constant bombarding of sound bytes (such as John Madden's "Uh Oh"), it's just too much for me. There is responsible journalism and then there is bad comedy. I don't want to listen to three minute sound bytes of screaming, I want to hear commentary. And facts. And good interviews. Nothing else.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,678,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
If Stern would have straight up answered the question, and THEN turned the tables on Rome regarding that specific issue, I would have felt better about how David Stern looked. And what I mean on turning the tables is going after Rome about that specific allegation and ONLY that allegation. And no, I don't like the NBA lottery business, never did.

Beating on ones wife? Huh?

Then again I'm not a fan of that much schtick in a radio show. And it's three hours of shtick. The constant repetitiveness, the constant bombarding of sound bytes (such as John Madden's "Uh Oh"), it's just too much for me. There is responsible journalism and then there is bad comedy. I don't want to listen to three minute sound bytes of screaming, I want to hear commentary. And facts. And good interviews. Nothing else.
Apparently beating one's wife was a loaded question and it was some old phrase that was used back in the day, at least that is what some people are saying, which might explain why Rome didn't spaz out on him. This is according to what I just heard someone explain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Are...ting+your+wife

Old 06-14-2012, 02:48 PM

1,860 posts, read 4,448,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Apparently beating one's wife was a loaded question and it was some old phrase that was used back in the day, at least that is what some people are saying, which might explain why Rome didn't spaz out on him. This is according to what I just heard someone explain.

Loaded question - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Are you still beating your wife - definition of Are you still beating your wife by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Correct, in fact, Rome said shortly after the interview (I was listening to it live) that he took no offense to that because he knew that about the question - me as a younger person had never really heard that, so it kind of caught me off guard too when I heard it live. Still think it was somewhat inappropriate to use domestic violence as a counter to the lottery conspiracy.

I see both sides, but think Stern came off as a pompous ass; he has been asked that question countless times, not sure why he decided to go off on Rome (who has interviewed him probably a dozen times over the years on both radio & TV). By him acting that way, it almost gives the appearance that the NBA is hiding something. My only beef w/the lottery is why they don't just show it live. Seems to me that would eliminate all of this chatter and it would be more intriguing to watch anyway than just having the 14 team reps sitting and waiting to hear their name called.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:01 PM

9,034 posts, read 16,469,190 times
nothing new here .... stern tries to shut down any actual questions by being abrupt, sarcastic and a complete jerk

he is what he is

Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 PM

52,125 posts, read 41,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
To say Stern owned Rome is a bit much. They both look like fools. Except Rome is an animated reporter so it is expected. Stern should have held it together. You would never hear Roger Goddell stoop that low.

I score it in favor of Rome.
1) Look at baseball, and then look at the NBA....one is doing pretty well....the other is dying. Advantage Stern.

2) Rome is a moron.

That is all.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:14 PM

2,019 posts, read 2,021,151 times
I don't think anyone got burned. I just think Stern looked like a unprofessional fool by asking if Rome still beat his wife. Rome's question was ligitimate and he gave Stern a platform to discuss why it was not fixed. But Stern instead acted very unprofessional with his response.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,446,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I just don't know how Rome has survived all of these years. I hate his radio show and TV show. He is bad all around, the only reason he has an audience is due to the topic, sports. I listened to his horrible radio show for 5+ yrs because that was the only show available.
Probably knows the right people

Old 06-14-2012, 06:40 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,446,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Actually, yeah.... I think it was a legitamte question as well.

Stern didn't answer, so this doesn't help his case.

It was a stupid question and Stern gave a stupid answer. What did he think Stern was going to say? "Yes the lottery was rigged" Which would have resulted in a huge loss of fans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or