U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:42 AM

51,993 posts, read 41,825,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
A month or two after this thread hit the C-D>Sports> Basketball folder, the NBA decided that they needed an anti-flopping rule. So I got to thinking about that this morning and decided to dig-up this thread from the grave. At least to some degree it is a "I told you so" moment.

But I'll tell you, I'm glad the NBA is trying to get the "flopping" absurdity out of the game. To be honest, it was perhaps the single biggest piece of goofiness in the game. Unfortunately, the reality is; they really can't get all the other flaws out of the game. It's pretty much impossible. Referees eyeballs cannot see whether a lightning-fast hand hits a ball or slaps a player's forearm. No ref can discern with sufficient accuracy a charge from a blocking foul. Consequently, when a game ends with a team winning by two points, there is a big chance that the refs decided the outcome just as much as the players did. But I'll tell you, at least the NBA has tried to eliminate the outright silliness. I'll give them that.
Soccer is still rife with flopping.

I do agree that you noted a problem with basketball and now the league has addressed it.

I would note that the whining after calls was cracked down on over a year ago...so it's not as bad as it was.

I guess I agree that the refs can't get everything right, but that goes for most team sports like football, soccer, baseball and so forth. I can see how someone, especially if they are a bit of a perfectionist is irritated by this but that's the nature of the beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 07:02 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,027,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Speaking of baseball, i think they can eliminate an umpire with balls and strikes. In tennis, there is a GPS that covers the court telling us whether the ball hit the line or went outside the line. I think with today's technology, they should have a invisible strikezone that could be set within accepted parameters before the game starts. If a pitcher throws it in that strikezone, a signal from the scoreboard will indicate a strike or ball. This way you don't have one umpire having a different strikezone every game depending on their mood or something. Anyone agree?
I agree. Technology could easily improve the consistency of the application of the rules.

Back to the original post, I also agree that basketball "seems" to have the most subjective, inconsistent refereeing in major sports. Inconsistencies between home and away teams, between big stars and average players, big players and smaller players, experienced players and rookies, between the majority of the game and the last two minutes of the game. Football refereeing seems pretty consistent. Baseball umpiring seems pretty consistent. Not sure about hockey.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,891,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Speaking of baseball, i think they can eliminate an umpire with balls and strikes. In tennis, there is a GPS that covers the court telling us whether the ball hit the line or went outside the line. I think with today's technology, they should have a invisible strikezone that could be set within accepted parameters before the game starts. If a pitcher throws it in that strikezone, a signal from the scoreboard will indicate a strike or ball. This way you don't have one umpire having a different strikezone every game depending on their mood or something. Anyone agree?
they'll never do that. i agree somewhat, but strikezones arent what they show on fox/tbs etc broadcasts where its as simple as a little box next to the player. a player like marco scutaro has a much different strike zone than a player like ryan howard

Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
I think the offensive foul should be eliminated completely because it will end flopping. It doesn't need to be a offensive foul in the NBA when someone can just play defense instead falling on the floor.

And I always hated seeing the refs make that call late in the game when two teams are tied up

Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM

266 posts, read 336,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I think the offensive foul should be eliminated completely because it will end flopping. It doesn't need to be a offensive foul in the NBA when someone can just play defense instead falling on the floor.

And I always hated seeing the refs make that call late in the game when two teams are tied up
If there was no such thing as an offensive foul you could just push and shove the defensive player out of the way. Basketball would then turn into football as everytime you drive to the rim you could just get a few big guys to bulldoze a path for you.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
If there was no such thing as an offensive foul you could just push and shove the defensive player out of the way. Basketball would then turn into football as everytime you drive to the rim you could just get a few big guys to bulldoze a path for you.

I seriously doubt the game of basketball would be played that way in the NBA if there was no offensive foul call.

When I played basketball for fun no one played basketball like that at all.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt the game of basketball would be played that way in the NBA if there was no offensive foul call.

When I played basketball for fun no one played basketball like that at all.
If your trying to win why wouldn't you do that? I play in a mens league and we had a playoff game last night, if there was no such thing as an offensive foul we would've just told our big guys to level everyone in the paint. The reason you probably didn't play like that was either because you played in a league were refs DID call offensive fouls or if you played pick up bball, even though its more physical, you use the same general ethics as you would in a pro game. It would be chaos without offensive fouls.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
If your trying to win why wouldn't you do that? I play in a mens league and we had a playoff game last night, if there was no such thing as an offensive foul we would've just told our big guys to level everyone in the paint. The reason you probably didn't play like that was either because you played in a league were refs DID call offensive fouls or if you played pick up bball, even though its more physical, you use the same general ethics as you would in a pro game. It would be chaos without offensive fouls.

Offensive fouls just makes it hard for me to watch the NBA because it allows so many players to not play defense and have the refs bail them out.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Offensive fouls just makes it hard for me to watch the NBA because it allows so many players to not play defense and have the refs bail them out.
Yeah well without offensive fouls you wouldn't be watching any NBA because the league would fold because the sport wouldn't be able to survive.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,027,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
they'll never do that. i agree somewhat, but strikezones arent what they show on fox/tbs etc broadcasts where its as simple as a little box next to the player. a player like marco scutaro has a much different strike zone than a player like ryan howard
It wouldn't be difficult to database each batter's strikezone based on his size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or