U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:18 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,498,535 times

Advertisements

No one is going to get what I'm about to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. Basketball is a bad sport. I'll tell you why; basically, the game cannot be refereed. The results are players who turn around and glare at the refs after drives to the basket, believing they were fouled. What results are flops by players who are barely touched, trying to draw fouls. What results are coaches "working the refs", in hopes of getting some future calls.

When the game was first introduced over 100 years ago it was an entirely different game. Entirely different. Small, semi-athletic players ran around trying to throw the ball to one another in hopes of getting some kind of shot at a peach basket. The defense tried to get in front of one of these passes for a steal. The game is now really... well, silly. This is not to say that there aren't fine displays of athleticism. There are. But the game itself has become borderline dysfunctional. You don't notice it because the game has evolved into its dysfunctional state gradually. And too, the game has become part of the American culture to the point where almost no amount of wackiness could dislodge it. But if this game, as it is played today in arenas, were developed and played only in Poland, and the Poles came over and displayed the game to American audiences, we would hoot and cackle. We would parody players as they complained to refs. We would lampoon the flopping. We would mimic the coaches who beg the refs for calls. We would see the game's glaring imperfections, but since it is our game, all of us have developed an immunity to the flaws... well, not all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,418,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
No one is going to get what I'm about to say
You should have stopped there...

to this thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,080,596 times
Quote:
No one is going to get what I'm about to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. Basketball is a bad sport. I'll tell you why; basically, the game cannot be refereed. The results are players who turn around and glare at the refs after drives to the basket, believing they were fouled. What results are flops by players who are barely touched, trying to draw fouls. What results are coaches "working the refs", in hopes of getting some future calls.

When the game was first introduced over 100 years ago it was an entirely different game. Entirely different. Small, semi-athletic players ran around trying to throw the ball to one another in hopes of getting some kind of shot at a peach basket. The defense tried to get in front of one of these passes for a steal. The game is now really... well, silly. This is not to say that there aren't fine displays of athleticism. There are. But the game itself has become borderline dysfunctional. You don't notice it because the game has evolved into its dysfunctional state gradually. And too, the game has become part of the American culture to the point where almost no amount of wackiness could dislodge it. But if this game, as it is played today in arenas, were developed and played only in Poland, and the Poles came over and displayed the game to American audiences, we would hoot and cackle. We would parody players as they complained to refs. We would lampoon the flopping. We would mimic the coaches who beg the refs for calls. We would see the game's glaring imperfections, but since it is our game, all of us have developed an immunity to the flaws... well, not all of us.
This post makes absolutely no sense. Basketball is a bad sport because the players glare at the refs? Who cares?!?!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM

7,762 posts, read 6,177,520 times
Basketball is the best sport in the world, in my opinion.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM

880 posts, read 1,758,640 times
John Sally said today on Skip bayless that if the ref. would of called a foul on Lebron in the last minute of game 2 he would be looking for a new job.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 PM

As I said in my OP, no one will get what I'm saying. At sports websites posters want to talk about what player is best, or what team will win. Some actual fundamental analysis of a sport, albeit amateur analysis, is dismiss, or even unwelcome. Yeah, I know it. Nevertheless, here comes some more.

A few years ago I was watching the NBA playoffs and I again became annoyed by the sort of daffiness of the sport, at least when it is played at the higher levels. I would see players jump, land on both feet, and then lose their balance for no apparent reason, and flop to the floor. I remember on one occasion a player thought he had gotten fouled so he looked at the ref and threw up his hands in disbelief. The TV commentator said that the player did not have enough years in the league and therefore did not have sufficient status to get that call. Now, think a little deeper about what that commentator was in fact implying. Give it a little critical thought. That's two points the lesser player is denied that the more popular player gets. Now is that a wacky sport or not?

As I told one guy years ago when we lost by two points after a game where there were many questionable calls, "If you want to be guaranteed that playing the best will result in a win, you need to take up track and field. There if you do not go over the high jump bar, the bar falls. Unlike basketball, the winner is never determined by a ref."

Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 AM

52,104 posts, read 41,928,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
John Sally said today on Skip bayless that if the ref. would of called a foul on Lebron in the last minute of game 2 he would be looking for a new job.
Sallys gums flop a lot.

Hmmmmm if Sally and Bayless don't say controversial things to keep viewership up.......they'd be looking for a new job.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:26 AM

52,104 posts, read 41,928,321 times
Quote:

You must not watch any other pro-sports.

NFL, recievers complain all the time about holding or pass interference. Guys pretend to be pulled down to draw holding calls.

Soccer: I don't need to say anymore.

MLB: Balls and strikes.....24-7 with glares at the umps....and managers coming out to scream at them and so forth.

Really....what the heck dude?

Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 AM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,908,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You must not watch any other pro-sports.

NFL, recievers complain all the time about holding or pass interference. Guys pretend to be pulled down to draw holding calls.

Soccer: I don't need to say anymore.

MLB: Balls and strikes.....24-7 with glares at the umps....and managers coming out to scream at them and so forth.

Really....what the heck dude?
Speaking of baseball, i think they can eliminate an umpire with balls and strikes. In tennis, there is a GPS that covers the court telling us whether the ball hit the line or went outside the line. I think with today's technology, they should have a invisible strikezone that could be set within accepted parameters before the game starts. If a pitcher throws it in that strikezone, a signal from the scoreboard will indicate a strike or ball. This way you don't have one umpire having a different strikezone every game depending on their mood or something. Anyone agree?

Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 AM

A month or two after this thread hit the C-D>Sports> Basketball folder, the NBA decided that they needed an anti-flopping rule. So I got to thinking about that this morning and decided to dig-up this thread from the grave. At least to some degree it is a "I told you so" moment.

But I'll tell you, I'm glad the NBA is trying to get the "flopping" absurdity out of the game. To be honest, it was perhaps the single biggest piece of goofiness in the game. Unfortunately, the reality is; they really can't get all the other flaws out of the game. It's pretty much impossible. Referees eyeballs cannot see whether a lightning-fast hand hits a ball or slaps a player's forearm. No ref can discern with sufficient accuracy a charge from a blocking foul. Consequently, when a game ends with a team winning by two points, there is a big chance that the refs decided the outcome just as much as the players did. But I'll tell you, at least the NBA has tried to eliminate the outright silliness. I'll give them that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or