Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Brooklyn Nets fans "fairweather" if they were Knicks fans before the Nets relocated to
Yes 1 16.67%
No 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times

Advertisements

What I am asking is that are Brooklyn Nets fans "fair weather" if they were Knicks fans before the relocation of the Nets? IMO if you were a Knicks fan before the relocation and then all of a sudden you switch your team loyalty for a new team than you are a "fair weather fan" and a flopper.
What do you all think?

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 07-20-2012 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,272 times
If you live in Brooklyn I'd say it's probably ok, but switching just because you don't like the Knicks anymore is definetely a flopped.

Look at the slop the Sixers are rolling out this year, I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving them for at least a year.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
What if you are a fan of both because you support NY teams? I'm a Warriors fan and have always had a soft spot for the Nets (kind of like my 2nd team), with the Knicks 3rd. Mind you, I watched them alot during the Drazen Petrovic and Derick Coleman years too.
***Personally, I do believe if the Knicks were your team and you dropped them because of the move, that is pretty cheezy. My wife is from Brooklyn originally and she is thrilled about the move.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:20 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
With the incompetence of Knicks management, you can't blame any fan for switching, especially if they switch now, while the team is new to Brooklyn and they aren't winning games yet.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What I am asking is that are Brooklyn Nets fans "fair weather" if they were Knicks fans before the relocation of the Nets? IMO if you were a Knicks fan before the relocation and then all of a sudden you switch your team loyalty for a new team than you are a "fair weather fan" and a flopper.
What do you all think?
No. Fair weather fans are "fans" when their team is doing well. These fans would be more bandwagon.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
No. Fair weather fans are "fans" when their team is doing well. These fans would be more bandwagon.
In the Philly area we call them floppers.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What do you all think?
The Nets finished last season 22-44 last year. The Knicks were the 7th seed.

If anything, I would chalk it up to over a decade of HORRIBLE management manuevers leaving people to jump ship on speculation rather than stick with a Knicks organization that is one of the worst run in sports.

Lastly, the Nets have moved to NY so frankly it's not like the nets made it to the finals last year and aren't even playing in NY....

I think the people switching were not really Knicks fans but they were the only team in town. They were as much pushed to another team as anything, frankly I don't know how someone can be a Knicks fan.

Hey how is Lebron working out for you guys?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Fairweather is a fan that supports a team that is winning. They tend to be casual fans that go years without paying attention and then when it becomes a party, they want to join in.

Bandwagon is someone that jumps from winning team to another. If you have a friend that started as a Knicks fan but became a Lakers fan in the 2000's and is now walking around with a Lebron jersey on.....there you go.

Neighbor kid is a bandwagoner but he is only 16 and there is no NBA franchise for 300 miles so he get's a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball