Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Good one. Almost as good as your Lakers could go 72-10 thread I just linked.

With a little more work I think you could land your own sitcom.

Did you forget that the Lakers had OKC beat in Game 2 and Game 4 and blew both games? So of course now they are clearly the better team now that they added Nash and Howard.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
At least i can't fault the Rockets for trying...not sure what the Magic were thinking...oh well, something they have to live with:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
HOU offered ORL $12M in space (instead of Afflalo), recent 1st picks, future lottery and unprotected picks. Would’ve taken bad deals (cont.)

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

(cont.) and no need to take on Harrington contract.

John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger

Based on what I’ve been told Houston pretty clearly had a better offer — including a guaranteed lotto pick. Frustrating day for Rox.

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO

Let’s not complain too loudly about NBA’s new CBA not working. Houston offered Magic boatload of picks, & this year’s draftees.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
I'm a Lakers fan and this is not a sure thing as many are making it out to be. Dwight will bring needed defensive presence without sacrificing low-post scoring but there are lots of question marks (aside from whether Dwight will re-sign after this season).

- will Dwight's back hold up after surgery?
- does Kobe have anything left?
- does Nash have anything left?
- does Gasol have anything left?
- will Nash be a defensive liability?
- Nash is best suited to play pick-and-roll with Howard/Gasol, will Kobe be satisfied playing the Ray Allen role?

The Lakers blew big leads against OKC in the WCF, was it partially because of the Lakers' old tired legs not being able to withstand the young OKC's runs? If so, how does getting older help?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
I wonder if David Stern will veto this trade because Orlando shat on themselves.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 AM

14 posts, read 20,338 times
^ wsf*

Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Did you watch the series? Lakers lost two games after blowing leads, and Kobe starting throwing up bricks after Gasol and Bynum started slacking especially Gasol. Gasol, Bynum, and Kobe did not play at the top of their game.
That's not uncommon in Basketball: the reality is the Thunder were the better team. Basketball is a game of lead changes and momentum shifts; just because L.A held the lead in those games doesn't suggest they were the better team. The better team is the one that won the series.

Remember in 2000 when LA was down 15 in the forth of game 7 vs Portland, then made that comeback and won in the end, highlighted by that Kobe alleyoop to Shaq for the one handed throwdown)? LA was the better team then, and the same holds true now. You wouldn't argue that Portland was better because they held the lead, would you? Just wondering.... The whole 'team X held the lead, so they 'could' have won' theory can apply to numerous series. How about in 2010 when Boston had the lead with 6 minutes to go of game 7 in the finals, and LA came back to win? Would you make the same argument that Boston was the better team and just 'lost' the lead? How many times were the Bulls down in the 90's in certain games, and had to comeback to win? Would you argue that the team leading them was 'better'?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Celtics and Knicks are still better
Are you sure about that. The Celtics are only going to get worse from here on out and the Knicks are still the Knicks.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
After scrapping the Paul trade, I don't see it. I'm guessing the Rockets didn't want to gamble on Howard unless he extended his contract and the Lakers didn't want Richardson/Hedo coming with Howard if Bynum went to the Magic.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Did you forget that the Lakers had OKC beat in Game 2 and Game 4 and blew both games? So of course now they are clearly the better team now that they added Nash and Howard.
If you were a broken clock, you wouldn't even be right twice a day.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Nets fan checking in here. Magic pulled on that trade but accept this one???

Won't be watching the NBA this year, not one game. Lakers do it once again. When Kobe Bryant was about to be drafted by John Calipari in 1996, he threatened not to report unless he was traded to L.A. So, the Charlotte Hornets capitulated instead and drafted him. Why? It's been my belief that players only want to play for 'glamour' teams. The Celtics and the Lakers can re-tool. This was most recently accomplished when Kevin Garnett forced his way out of Minneapolis. You don't see Howard or Garnett getting moved to Indianapolis or Milwaukee.

Unless the league designs a true system with teeth that enables teams from lesser markets have a fair opportunity to obtain bonafide stars, the league, as currently constituted, is unfair to small markets. This is why I stopped watching MLB after 1994, and the players won in court. The big market teams have been able to sustain excellence by stockpiling talent, instead of having a more equitable system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball