Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 02:29 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
Lebron James = Magic Johnson
Derrick Rose = Tim Hardaway
Dwight Howard = David Robinson
Joe Johnson = Penny Hardaway
Joakim Noah = Dennis Rodman
Blake Griffin = Shawn Kemp
Kevin Durant = Tracy McGrady
Steve Nash = John Stockton
Rajon Rondo = Jason Kidd
Dwayne Wade = Clyde Drexler
Carmelo Anthony = Glenn Robinson
Gerald Wallace = Scottie Pippen
Pau Gasol = Patrick Ewing
Dirk Nowitzki = Tom Chambers
Ray Allen = Joe Dumars
My version

Tim Hardaway was pass first and lived off his ball skills. Rose is more like Iverson I think, but I said that already.

Dwight I would say is like Moses, but Mo was a better shooter.

Joe Johnson I don't know, but definitely not Penny.

Blake and Kemp is pretty good.

Durant is a tough one because he is SO skilled with the ball. Guys his size had nowhere near his skill back then, and that includes English. They could shoot but nowhere near the handles and moves.

Nash reminds me more of Mark Price.

Rondo and Kidd is pretty good.

Wade reminds me more of Penny, but Penny was a better passer.

Carmelo ... any ball hog in any decade who can do nothing but score.

Wallace to Pippen. Lol.

Gasol to Sikma was a good one. Maybe a little Mchale too.

Dirk to Chambers ... stylistically, I guess. But nowhere near as good a player. Dirk is more low post.

James Harden reminds me more of Dumars. Killer ball skills and playmaker. Ray Allen can't really play point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
Lebron James = Magic Johnson
Derrick Rose = Tim Hardaway
Dwight Howard = David Robinson
Joe Johnson = Penny Hardaway
Joakim Noah = Dennis Rodman
Blake Griffin = Shawn Kemp
Kevin Durant = Tracy McGrady
Steve Nash = John Stockton
Rajon Rondo = Jason Kidd
Dwayne Wade = Clyde Drexler
Carmelo Anthony = Glenn Robinson
Gerald Wallace = Scottie Pippen
Pau Gasol = Patrick Ewing
Dirk Nowitzki = Tom Chambers
Ray Allen = Joe Dumars

My version
-Magic changed basketball forever when he came in the league. Lebron is more of a combination of players or amalgam. Magic has 138 triple doubles.

Jason Kidd might be more similar to Magic. Kidd has passed him in all time assists. Similar triple double numbers (105). But it'll be hard for anyone to match Magic's 5 titles, and 3 finals mvps.

-Robinson is miles ahead of Howard in terms of fundamentals.

-Rodman could write a book on defense and rebounding. His flamboyant on and off court behavior took away from focusing on his basketball IQ.

-Blake and Kemp is a good comparison.

-Durant (like Lebron) is more of an "unreal" player than anyone in the 80's. No one with his size had his ball handling ability back then.

Gasol has a softer touch than anyone in the 80's.

Ray Allen.....maybe a little bit of Danny Ainge? The guys in the 80's were more pure shooters...Dale Ellis, Glen Rice. Maybe Ray Allen and Reggie Miller.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

Gasol has a softer touch than anyone in the 80's.
Softer touch than George Gervin?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:57 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Softer touch than George Gervin?
With Gasol's length and frame, 7'0. I can't think of anyone 7'0 in the 80's with his ball handling ability.

Guys like Chief, Moses Malone, Kareem, Sikma, didn't have the foot speed of Gasol.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,743 times
Larry Bird said if the players he played with played the current players we would lose.He said the only reason why is they are 20 years older

Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Even that's debatable, and if any gap in Dwight's favor it's very narrow. David Robinson was an incredible athlete.
I strongly disagree with Dwight Howard being more athletic than David Robinson. Robinson was the same same as dwight, and faster, quicker, and more agile. Dwight Howard is stiff as board out there on the court.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I strongly disagree with Dwight Howard being more athletic than David Robinson. Robinson was the same same as dwight, and faster, quicker, and more agile. Dwight Howard is stiff as board out there on the court.
I don't agree either. Dwight may have the edge in terms of raw leaping ability( and we don't know how much that aspect is going to be impacted long-term by his back injury) but jumping higher doesn't make for an overall better athlete. In terms of overall speed, co-ordination and agility, I'd give the edge to the Admiral.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Do you think there's any player currently playing, that has the footwork of Hakeem Olajuwan?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Do you think there's any player currently playing, that has the footwork of Hakeem Olajuwan?
At the PF/center position? Hell no. Hakeem may have the best footwork of any bigman past and present. The only person I'd put on that level in terms of footwork and nimbleness in the post is Kevin Mchale.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Ray Allen can't really play point.
Or defense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball