U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,040,589 times

Advertisements

Watching the Lakers at home against the Jazz getting beat by 12 points and it's almost half-time. Today's date is 12/09/2012, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if they don't make a trade by the end of this month, they won't make the playoffs. They look like they're playing for the paycheck and not a ring. Where's the hustle and heart at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 PM

432 posts, read 484,572 times
It's all f'ed up this year. The lakers remind me of a birthday party that no one showed up to. Embarrassing, heartbreaking, and very awkward. The heart isn't there and to tell the truth, D. Howard doesn't even fit Laker image. He doesn't even look right in purple and gold. He doesn't know what it's like to be on the most famous basketball team in the world. I'm not saying he's a small town team guy like Durant is, but I could see him on his own team again. You don't build around superstars like kobe, with other superstars who have the same mentality of "This is my team, I run this". Especially a superstar CENTER like Dwight. You build around good centers because their aren't many good ones like him left. That's my 2 cents though.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,124,255 times
There's still a lot of season left.

Dwight's fine and even though Kobe consistently scores 30pts a game, the Lakers are 1 and 9 when he does.

Meaning when he plays point it spreads the floor. Meaning...they need Nash...or a better PG bad.

The Lakers are also shooting decently, just not playing D on the other end.

When the Lakers's offense is really working the D just comes naturally. When things get tough then they just fall apart. And part of that is still (yes still) a lack of cohesion, a lack of communication, a lack of hustle. The first two will come with the rest of the season, the last thing, hustle, is in part due to the obvious age factor.

The bench is improving in spurts. Pau I think mentally, just isn't there. When he is, then watch out.

It's hard to watch I know, but here we are asking for consistency from the team when there's still chaos all around. Like I said in an other thread, they'll make it to the playoffs, because things will fall somewhat into place; I'm thinking a few games after Nash comes back.

There's 61 games left.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,454,988 times
The way they played in OKC on friday night I am very surprised to see that they lost to the jazz at home.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM

52,143 posts, read 41,961,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The way they played in OKC on friday night I am very surprised to see that they lost to the jazz at home.
Huh? OKC had a nice lead and the Lakers started chucking in 3's at the end to narrow the gap enough to make it look respectable. Down 14 at the start of the 4th and lost by 6. That's not great.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 PM

52,143 posts, read 41,961,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Watching the Lakers at home against the Jazz getting beat by 12 points and it's almost half-time. Today's date is 12/09/2012, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if they don't make a trade by the end of this month, they won't make the playoffs. They look like they're playing for the paycheck and not a ring. Where's the hustle and heart at?
Kobe was 5/15 in the 4th quarter of the two losses this weekend and took something like 60+ shots.

Their opponents shot aroun50% from the field.

No bench, old legs.

This months schedule is very tough for them. Lots of tougher opponents and road games. I agree that with the injuries to Nash and Gasol....they may not make the playoffs.

So, what kind of trade could they make? Frankly, they have nothing tradeable outside of Kobe and Dwight.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Huh? OKC had a nice lead and the Lakers started chucking in 3's at the end to narrow the gap enough to make it look respectable. Down 14 at the start of the 4th and lost by 6. That's not great.

The way they came out in the first half is what I mean.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
The way they came out in the first half is what I mean.
They gave up 40 points in the 2nd quarter.

Westbrook effectively destroyed them. Then in the 2nd half Durant took over.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
They gave up 40 points in the 2nd quarter.

Westbrook effectively destroyed them. Then in the 2nd half Durant took over.

Well maybe it was the 1st qtr because I remember saying......"Lakers playing hard tonight"

Old 12-10-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Well maybe it was the 1st qtr because I remember saying......"Lakers playing hard tonight"
They'll usually do that, until the first sign of trouble.

They'll bring their "A" game vs good teams, and get manhandled by teams like the Jazz; teams they should beat without question.

I didn't mind the OKC loss despite that 2nd quarter and lack of D. The Lakers played semi-tough; just like they did against the loss vs the Spurs.

But that's like 2 losses that were acceptable out of the 12 they have.

If it's not TOs, it's lack of D. If it's not lack of D, its getting offensive boards. If it's not rebounds then its, lack of hustle and energy.

So right now they're in a grey area where a good PG should create more opportunities, but that PG is hurt. So all practices should be defensive drills; covering spots, helping out and getting to their man; because the scoring will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or