Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:54 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Does Atlanta actually want Lin and Asik? Can they get a better haul for Josh Smith in a sign and trade with another team? And if they know getting Smith increases Houston's likelihood of getting Howard (a player they also want) wouldn't Atlanta want to play hardball? I can't see that trade happening, especially with the back end of Lin's contract.
they are not talking about trading smith for asik/lin but trading those guys to sign smith outright. and while lin has NO VALUE, asik is worth a ton right now.

although as i read, most of the stories have smith as a backup if howard doesnt sign, and not an and 1 to the off season.

howard asked the rockets if they could sign another max deal, making it 3 max deals if he signs, thats TERRIBLE! the only reason it worked in miami is because lebron is the best there is right now. howard, smith and harden are not 3 max guys like wade, bosh and lebron were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:55 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Let's hope it's only 4 years! I expect rebuilding and some downtime but I don't see them going sharply down the drain. I see token first round exits in the near future until Kobe's gone, then the pain will get real.

2020 NBA Champs, count it!
I'm wearing my Bulls hat today from the late 90's.....just sayin'....

Old 07-03-2013, 01:38 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Obviously this would never happen. But does anybody else think that the Spurs would be good for Dwight. Perhaps playing next to Duncan in a more controlled, disciplinarian environment could do him some good.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Obviously this would never happen. But does anybody else think that the Spurs would be good for Dwight. Perhaps playing next to Duncan in a more controlled, disciplinarian environment could do him some good.
I've thought about Pop's influence on Dwight, but it's sounds more like a script for a summer comedy.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I don't think Dwight is intelligent enough to play for Pop. His game is far too limited as well.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
If you want to win go to Golden State he has talent built in and great shooters around him

Old 07-04-2013, 10:06 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
If you want to win go to Golden State he has talent built in and great shooters around him
GS will require a sign-and-trade, probably Bogut plus Thompson or Barnes. Personally, Curry and Barnes are untouchable, even for someone with Howard's talent. I think he'll either go to Houston or stay with the Lakers.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
GS will require a sign-and-trade, probably Bogut plus Thompson or Barnes. Personally, Curry and Barnes are untouchable, even for someone with Howard's talent. I think he'll either go to Houston or stay with the Lakers.
I would rather keep Klay Thompson than Barnes. Howard needs shooters around him and Thompson is a lot better shooter. I love his game, he's big for a SG, he can shoot from anywhere, he has a quick release, and he's really good at putting the ball on the floor too. Kind of like Steve Smith who was one of my favorite players growing up.

Barnes is like a potentially better version of Josh Howard or Josh Childress. Jack of all trades, master of none. He's a great versatile 3rd option, but lacks the play-making ability to be a 1st option, and maybe a 2nd option too. I lived with a huge UNC fan when he was in college and watched him all the time, and I could never figure out exactly what he was good at. Good small forwards are almost a dime a dozen in the NBA, good shooting guards are harder to find. Look at Gerald Wallace, he's a very good small forward and he's about to play for his 5th team in 4 years.

Barnes is really young though so he could still develop his game a lot more.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:37 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
The problem with Klay, he's incredibly streaky. He'll look like another Curry one game, completely disappear the next. He was like a deer in headlights in the series with the Spurs, while Barnes stepped up and took the lead when it was needed. As an A's fan, he reminds me of the NBA version of Ben Grieve.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
In the conference semifinals Barnes averaged 17.3 on 43.5% shooting, Thompson averaged 15.7 ppg on 41.5% shooting. So really, not much difference. And the Spurs' defense was more keyed in on stopping Curry and Thompson. When Barnes stepped up and started hitting shots he was being left open a lot. I was impressed with Barns that series, but if he were expected to be a no. 1 or no. 2 option with the defense focusing more on him I think he would have a lot harder time scoring.

Thompson did taper off towards the end of that series compared to how he had played earlier in the playoffs, but that's kind of to be expected for a 2nd year guy. Look what happened to the Thunder 2 years ago in the finals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball