U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM

432 posts, read 484,267 times

Advertisements

Ok so I've noticed that there wasn't a favorite basketball team thread and so I decided to make one.

1. What's your favorite team
2. When did you become a fan and why
3. Your favorite player to ever play on the team or currently plays for the team.
4. Will you stick by the team in hard times. (Yes or No explain why)
5. Other sports teams you like (basketball included)

I will start.
1. I am a fan of the Nets.
2. Not very long. I became a fan in early 2012 because I saw potential and future excitement.
3. D. Will
4. Well I'd seen they weren't doing good in early 2012 and decided to become a fan. I knew attendance rates were low, and that it had a low fanbase. So I wanted to support them since no one else is...
5. I like the Eagles, Flyers, Phillies, Manchester City, Penn State and to an extent, the warriors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM

9,034 posts, read 16,466,881 times
1 - Seattle SuperSonics
2 - Late 80s - I was just drawn to the team, liked the players (xavier mcdaniel, dale ellis, tom chambers), style of play, atmosphere of their home games and for some reason drew a ton of their cards in basketball card packs
3 - Gary Payton - loved the bravado and defense, Kemp is right there as well - both are still very vocal about the team and the city which is great - so many great players from the 90s, including Steve Scheffler!
4 - I did, even when the league railroaded them out of town
5 - no NBA team, that's for sure - Seahawks, Marlins & Sharks as the other majors - a ton of college programs for various sports, minor league teams, etc

Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM

6,556 posts, read 4,515,663 times
1) Toronto Raptors
2) When I was about 10 or 11 I got a poster of that Vince Carter dunk in the All star game a while back.
3) See number 2, Vince Carter. He never played for the Raptors but really like Tim Duncan as well
4) The Raptors haven't been relevent in 8 years yet I still keep as up to date as I can in Connecticut
5) Nationals & Yankees (baseball), Islanders (hockey), Ravens & texans (football), UConn football, Tottenham

Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,039,315 times
Miami Heat

Around 92-93, but watched some games before that, I was a kid before that and not into basketball as much as football until 92-93.

3. Your favorite player to ever play on the team or currently plays for the team.
Alonzo Mourning and Dwayne Wade are a tie, but Lebron is gaining ground. (A side note) James Jones went to my high school in Miami.

Yes, I bought the league pass package when I moved away from Miami when we had a couple of bad seasons in the early 2000's and I watched each game, and was excited that my Heat were going to be playing no matter how many losses we had during that time.

Miami Dolphins, Miami Hurricanes, Miami Marlins, Nashville Predators, Orlando Magic, Golden State Warriors, Florida Gators.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,039,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
1 - Seattle SuperSonics
2 - Late 80s - I was just drawn to the team, liked the players (xavier mcdaniel, dale ellis, tom chambers), style of play, atmosphere of their home games and for some reason drew a ton of their cards in basketball card packs
3 - Gary Payton - loved the bravado and defense, Kemp is right there as well - both are still very vocal about the team and the city which is great - so many great players from the 90s, including Steve Scheffler!
4 - I did, even when the league railroaded them out of town
5 - no NBA team, that's for sure - Seahawks, Marlins & Sharks as the other majors - a ton of college programs for various sports, minor league teams, etc
I used to love the Sonics back then with a young Payton and Kemp with Hersey Hawkins knocking down 3's

Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,543,534 times
Pro
1. Denver Nuggets
2. Early 80's growing up in Kansas we could listen to the games on 850 KOA at night. Then moved to Denver for over 10 years.
3. Favorite players were Alex English & Kiki Vandeweghe
4. I always have - I am a much bigger college hoops fan though.
5. Broncos, Rockies and all KU sports

College
1. Kansas Jayhawks
2. In the 70's when I was a little kid. My dad loved them and then I went to college at KU
3. Favorite player - Danny Manning
4. They are my alma mater so I will always stick by them. Not too many hard times for the last 20 or so years though. Some tough losses however.
5. None - only hate for Missouri

Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Ok so I've noticed that there wasn't a favorite basketball team thread and so I decided to make one.

1. Washington Wizards
2. When I was 2. They were one of the first teams I watched growing up.
3. Gilbert Arenas. I would even put him over Michael Jordan because he not only took the team to the playoffs, but he made the team more exciting than it had been since I was alive
4. *Checks record for past 4 years*, you tell me....
5. Tennessee Titans (grew out of the Redskins at a young age), Washington Nats, Baltimore Orioles, Washington Caps.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,295,415 times

Miami Heat
Since MJ retired, loved Zo, once they drafted D-Wade, and then when they got Shaq, J-Will, etc
Tie : Shaq, LBJ, DWade
YES, Heat fan for life
Bucs, TB Rays, GATORS

Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM

590 posts, read 665,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post

1. Tie: Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves
2. I am drawn to teams that: A. tend to be underdogs
B. Fun to watch
C. Full of team-oriented players
D. Players that have some unique skills (ie Luis Scola when he was a Rocket) E. Have modest players
3. Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, Luis Scola -- Jose Barea, Andrei Kirilenko
4. I'll stick with these teams as long as most of the players remain the same.
5. I also like Boise State football and Creighton basketball.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,122,255 times
1. What's your favorite team - Lakers

2. When did you become a fan and why - When I was 6 watching Magic and the rest of the Lakers win the championship in '88. I, of course, loved Jordan and the Bulls too, but I was young and cared nothing for hometeam loyalty.

3. Your favorite player to ever play on the team or currently plays for the team. - Magic, Kobe, Fisher (yes Fish)

4. Will you stick by the team in hard times. (Yes or No explain why) - Yes. These are probably the hardest times the Lakers have gone through, in recent memory, other than the '05 season where they went 34-48. After losses are the hardest to keep being a fan, but when the next game rolls around, I get all excited again.

5. Other sports teams you like (basketball included) - I really don't watch other sports. I sometimes watch college hoops if UCLA makes it to the Final Four, and occasionally some football or baseball but I don't have a favorite team. I'll also watch pro basketball anytime it's on, and root for either the underdog or against those who are impeding the Lakers' playoff chances, lol. There are a lot of good players, especially guards right now in the NBA, so most games are exciting to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or