U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best championship team of Kobe Bryant
1999-00 1 6.25%
2000-01 12 75.00%
2001-02 3 18.75%
2008-09 0 0%
2009-10 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,099,585 times

Advertisements

Of the 5 championships Kobe as won, which team of those championships was best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,287,999 times
I'd go with 2001. They went 15-1 in the playoffs. And it took nearly weeks off and overtime for them to lose that one game. That is most dominant playoff run in league history. I'm actually amazed it doesn't get talked about more often. They went through four 50+ win teams to win the title and lost only one game along the way. That was amazing.

The only knock on that team is they were so up and down during the regular season. As an aside, I've always thought team that played the best looking basketball was the 2009 team. That was Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom at their best. They ran the Triangle beautifully that year with Fisher, Kobe, Ariza, Odom, and Gasol.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:13 PM

52,063 posts, read 41,872,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I'd go with 2001. They went 15-1 in the playoffs. And it took nearly weeks off and overtime for them to lose that one game. That is most dominant playoff run in league history. I'm actually amazed it doesn't get talked about more often. They went through four 50+ win teams to win the title and lost only one game along the way. That was amazing.

The only knock on that team is they were so up and down during the regular season. As an aside, I've always thought team that played the best looking basketball was the 2009 team. That was Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom at their best. They ran the Triangle beautifully that year with Fisher, Kobe, Ariza, Odom, and Gasol.
Hard to argue with 2001. However, to term that the "kobe bryant era" is insulting. That was the Shaq era. The Kobe era didn't start until years later.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 AM

I'll argue for 2000.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,884,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I'll argue for 2000.
What is your argument for 2000?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
What is your argument for 2000?
Harper

Now that you said it, I'll have to agree with 2001 being the best team. Weren't they the second seed to San Antonia? They faced each other in the western conference finals. Every game was a blowout. It got so ridiculous that Shaq was given a chance to get himself a fastbreak.

Shaq Starts and Finishes the Fastbreak!!! - YouTube

Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Harper

Now that you said it, I'll have to agree with 2001 being the best team. Weren't they the second seed to San Antonia? They faced each other in the western conference finals. Every game was a blowout. It got so ridiculous that Shaq was given a chance to get himself a fastbreak.

Shaq Starts and Finishes the Fastbreak!!! - YouTube
Harper????

Anyway, it wasn't me who said 2001, but I'd have to agree with that. Shaq was as dominant then as in 2000, but Kobe made a quantum leap from 2000 to 2001, especially as the playoffs rolled around. In terms of the role players around them from 2000-2002 they're interchangeable mostly, but after a turbulent regular season where Shaq and Kobe feuded everything came together at the right time when the playoffs rolled around.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:23 PM

52,063 posts, read 41,872,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Harper????

Anyway, it wasn't me who said 2001, but I'd have to agree with that. Shaq was as dominant then as in 2000, but Kobe made a quantum leap from 2000 to 2001, especially as the playoffs rolled around. In terms of the role players around them from 2000-2002 they're interchangeable mostly, but after a turbulent regular season where Shaq and Kobe feuded everything came together at the right time when the playoffs rolled around.
The irony though is that Kobe only played about 60% of the 2001 finals missing one game and almost all of another. Granted the finals was against a weaker team (76ers) than the WCF had been.

I think all the praise heaped on Shaq and the finals MVP's were what both drove Kobe and created the divide between him and Shaq. Shaq never had Kobe's work ethic...but he flat out carried the lakers in that era...and that must have been infuriating to kobe.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The irony though is that Kobe only played about 60% of the 2001 finals missing one game and almost all of another. Granted the finals was against a weaker team (76ers) than the WCF had been.

I think all the praise heaped on Shaq and the finals MVP's were what both drove Kobe and created the divide between him and Shaq. Shaq never had Kobe's work ethic...but he flat out carried the lakers in that era...and that must have been infuriating to kobe.
Really? Why do I not remember that? Must be going senile

That wedge was basically driven during the regular season. Kobe came out for the 2001 season determined to show the world that he was no mere sidekick, and this is what started that whole thing. That's why the Shaq-Kobe thing never worked over the long haul, in addition to differences in work ethic, but you really can't have two alpha male personalities like that. Jordan and Pippen worked because there was a clear pecking order and because Pippen didn't have an alpha personality, Magic and Kareem worked because Magic was less focused on scoring and moreso on playmaking and distributing until Kareem aged himself out of being the logical number one option.

Lebron and Wade have worked because Wade recognized it made little sense to try and wrestle with Lebron over who is numero uno( mind you, Lebron on-court has made that perfectly obvious along with Wade's slow decline from his peak years). Plus Wade had more or less established himself on an individual level when Lebron came aboard...Kobe on the other hand was 22 back in 2001 and ascending as a player, and felt that Shaq was detracting from showcasing his full talents. Both of them were at fault in how this situation panned out, but in retrospect had Kobe taken a cue from Magic, he could have played the second-fiddle role until Shaq left his prime circa 2006 and, with a bit of tweaking to the roster, possibly squeezed out another title or two. Instead, Shaq goes to Miami and wins a title there, Kobe is stuck on a hapless Lakers squad with the likes of Kwame Brown and Smush Parker putting up big offensive numbers and being reduced to first-round roadkill until Gasol comes on-board and....well you know how the story goes .

Last edited by Roman77; 02-25-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 03:38 PM

266 posts, read 336,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Both of those statments are incorrect. Kobe Bryant played all games and played every minute or almost every minute of all games the finals. He played 234 minutes out of a possible 245 minutes in the series (Game one went to overtime, in which amazingly Iverson, Kobe AND Shaq played every minute of the game). Your thinking of the year before against Indiana. I'll get to the second one in a second but first my reasoning for the 2000-2001 Lakers as being the best....

The 2000-2001 Lakers I believe were a top 7 or 8 team of all time. I was reading the Book of Basketball recently by Bill Simmons (I know take that with a grain of salt) but I believe he had them as like the 3rd or 4th best team of all time. They were the only team in history to have two players average atleast 28 ppg. At this point Bryant was already a superstar and Shaq was at his peak. If you remember the moment Bryant entered "superstar" status it was in the Finals the year before against the Pacers when Shaq fouled out in overtime of game 4 Kobe took over and did that famous expression of "Calm down, I got this". The rest of the team was also filled with very good role players (Derrick Fisher, Big Shot Rob, Rick Fox, Horace Grant, Brian Shaw, Tyronn Lue, Ron Harper etc..).

They completely rolled through the playoffs in 2001 however the Sixers were not a weak team, they were a top 3 team in the league along with San Antonio and LA and actually for most of the year they had the best record by far in the NBA until Theo Ratliff went got hurt. The Sixers were the toughest team they faced in the postseason and the only team to get a win against them. I am a diehard Sixers fan and that season was my favorite of all time but we just ran into a powerhouse in the finals. That season the Sixers had the MVP, Defensive Player of the year, Sixth Man of the Year, and Coach of the Year, I doubt any other team has had that many individual awards.

I still to this day think that if Theo Ratliff didn't go down for the season we would of had a legitimate chance to win it all. We were 43-14 before he went down, best record in the NBA. Then he went down, we traded for Mutumbo and went 13-12 the rest the regular season. Ratliff was starting to become one of the better centers in the NBA and was going to win DPOY. He was also the one guy that fit perfectly with Iverson. Mutumbo was obviously a good center and ended up winning DPOY because of Ratliff's injuring but he just didn't mesh with Iverson or team as well as Ratliff.

...What coulda been...I'm sure every NBA fan has a story like this though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or