Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

I hope the Warriors will put the Nuggets away tonight so we won't have to entertain anymore of this crazy talk.
Forget that noise! A nice 7 game series is what the doctor ordered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,406 times
Funny, I never could stand Harden because of his beard when he played for OKC.

But now since he's on my Rockets, I like him more as a player now.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
I'm beginning to "hate" Harden because he seems to get the foul everytime he falls all over himself ... kind of like Paul Pierce.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:25 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
FYI - Griffin died in that accident - blood-alcohol 0.26, over 3x the legal limit.
That was a separate incident. This was in 2006, a year before he died

Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,933 times
Quote:
If this comes to fruition, it'll be the worst and least-viewed NBA Finals ever!!

I hope the Warriors will put the Nuggets away tonight so we won't have to entertain anymore of this crazy talk.
The Nuggets are fine to watch--they would hold up their end of the bargain...Atlanta has been difficult to watch for years--unless you like yelling at the TV, "Josh Smith why are you taking another bad 3?!?!?! Get your ass in the paint!"

Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1)
2) I notice you didn't mention defense. Despite all the flaws in his game he's still the best center in the league.
He's one of the best shot blockers in the league but his man-to-man defense is nothing special. 37-year old Tim Duncan still has little problem scoring on him. He doesn't have a lot of lower body strength to move people around, he bites on pump fakes, he's not very disciplined. He doesn't deny entry passes, he never gets up on people, he has no intensity on defense.

And if he blocks your shot, so what? After he swats the ball into the rafters and pounds his chest you just get the ball right back.

I would say he's probably the best center in the league kind of by default, it's slim pickings at the top. I think it would be Bynum though if he were healthy. He's pretty immature too, but he has more size, much more skilled in the post, better at passing out of double teams, and in my opinion is a better man-to-man defender.

Quote:
3) I never said he should be the first banana on a team. I think he needs to be in the "tonto" role behind a Kobe etc. but the guy can seriously hurt opposing teams by controlling the paint, working the glass and converting for easy buckets. Ever watch Rodman play for the Bulls with his 7 points per game? Ever figure out how you get in the HOF like that?
If only Dwight played like Rodman...

I always thought in Orlando they needed to either put a legit, full sized PF next to him that had some post game, or start both him and Gortat together (but that would hurt the 2nd unit). I hated the way they built that team, with Dwight all alone inside, and then 4 jump shooters 6'8" or under. That doesn't get it done in the playoffs against bigger front courts like Boston and LA had. He has muscular arms and can jump high but he's 6'10" and has skinny legs, he can't battle the other team's front court by himself.

Quote:
I guess we can just agree to disagree. There are GM's falling all over themselves trying to get Dwight. I think most of them know what they are doing.
He's only 27 and still has tons of potential, so it's no wonder a lot of GMs probably are interested. A lot of people think LA should let him go though. 5 years ago I don't think anyone could have imagined people saying that about a 27-year old Dwight Howard.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
That guy that played for that team that one time? Nah, he sucked.

It was a center in the West and used to be killing Shaq with the outside shot but I can't think of his name

Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It was a center in the West and used to be killing Shaq with the outside shot but I can't think of his name

Vlade Divac
Bryant "Big Mountain" Reeves
Arvida Sabonis
Hakeem
The Admiral
Chris Dudley
Greg Ostertag
Erick Dampier

or perhaps the GOAT: Jelani McCoy!!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
vlade divac
bryant "big mountain" reeves
arvida sabonis
hakeem
the admiral
chris dudley
greg ostertag
erick dampier

or perhaps the goat: Jelani mccoy!!

sabonis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
He's one of the best shot blockers in the league but his man-to-man defense is nothing special. 37-year old Tim Duncan still has little problem scoring on him. He doesn't have a lot of lower body strength to move people around, he bites on pump fakes, he's not very disciplined. He doesn't deny entry passes, he never gets up on people, he has no intensity on defense.

And if he blocks your shot, so what? After he swats the ball into the rafters and pounds his chest you just get the ball right back.

I would say he's probably the best center in the league kind of by default, it's slim pickings at the top. I think it would be Bynum though if he were healthy. He's pretty immature too, but he has more size, much more skilled in the post, better at passing out of double teams, and in my opinion is a better man-to-man defender.

If only Dwight played like Rodman...

I always thought in Orlando they needed to either put a legit, full sized PF next to him that had some post game, or start both him and Gortat together (but that would hurt the 2nd unit). I hated the way they built that team, with Dwight all alone inside, and then 4 jump shooters 6'8" or under. That doesn't get it done in the playoffs against bigger front courts like Boston and LA had. He has muscular arms and can jump high but he's 6'10" and has skinny legs, he can't battle the other team's front court by himself.

He's only 27 and still has tons of potential, so it's no wonder a lot of GMs probably are interested. A lot of people think LA should let him go though. 5 years ago I don't think anyone could have imagined people saying that about a 27-year old Dwight Howard.
Fantastic discussion. I agree with many of your points. You made one of the most intelligent, supported, thought out posts I've ever read here. /bow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball