U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,499,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What are the Lakers? I assume that's some sort of team? Sorry, don't follow sports.

Then, maybe, you should stop hanging out in and/or reading "sports" forums!! Just a tip pal!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Oh, so Kobe is not the fierce competitor that Jordan was like? So he doesnt consistently attack the basket and has the killer mentality.
Sure you can call him whatever you want. But you cant deny the man's skills.

I dont see why people hold on Jordan like there cant ever be anyone that plays greater than he ever did. Yes Jordan was the greatest. I grew up watching him on the court and knew I was witnessing something great. If Kobe starts averaging 40 points a game from here on out to the rest of his career, win many more mvp awards, win many more championships, he can never be the man that Jordan was.
Did he cause drama in LA last year. Yes. Did many critisize him? Yup. I was on the same wagon. But I dont think anyone now can say he deserved to be critisized. The Lakers were going nowhere. All indications where that the team was not to change for at least a couple of years. They were putting all their bread on the Bynum basket and there was no way in telling if he'd turn out like another Penny Hardaway or Grant Hill. How could that not **** Kobe off?

But people like you will never witness something great in Kobe. Nor even put him up for consideration to be the best player of all time, no matter how great he plays out the rest of his career, because of your personal bendeta against him.
Exactly my point and that's why he'll never be what Jordan was, eventhough he's a great all around player, no question! He definitely deserved the MVP award too, in my opinion. Why do you care what I think anyway dude? Cheer up, your team is kicking butt and Kobe is having a great year! Cheers.....

Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,692,935 times
Quote:
Update for the haters.
In case you havent been paying attention...
KOBE 2008 MVP! Leading the Lakers to a 2-0 start against the Jazz.
Playing the best basketball in the league. He's basically unstoppable right now. Dare I say? He's playing Jordan-like basketball. Maybe even better.

I agree with this. He's definitely playing the best ball in the league, and yes, he is playing Jordan-like ball. I wish I could see him play more often because it's fun to watch domination.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:29 PM

29,780 posts, read 18,116,285 times
Kobe is CURRENTLY playing at a Jordan-esque level. Jordan did it longer and more consistently....but why quibble....Kobe is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

Kobe is a consistent selection to the NBA defensive teams...and his shooting percentage is no longer in the lower 40%'s which speaks to more intelligent shot selection. (This has been a big improvement to Allen Iverson as well....who shot his teams to more losses than wins over his career....look at his historic shoot percentage)

Remember, you can tell the winner of >90% of NBA games by looking ONLY at the 2 teams shooting percentages....try it sometime by checking out box scores.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:50 PM

522 posts, read 1,008,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Exactly my point and that's why he'll never be what Jordan was, eventhough he's a great all around player, no question! He definitely deserved the MVP award too, in my opinion. Why do you care what I think anyway dude? Cheer up, your team is kicking butt and Kobe is having a great year! Cheers.....
What exactly is your point that you agreed to on my post? The personal bendetta part?
Anyways, its not necessarily that I care about your opinion, but your opinion of Kobe is the general feeling amongst the Kobe haters, and Ive been wanting to know what it is that he'd have to do in order to gain general approval.
In the end he may have a few more rings, and it may be a close debate as to whether he was as good as MJ. But what if he loaded up with, say 6 more championships. All of them where he's the MVP. Would the haters conceed that he's the best? Or is the general animosity so strong that he can do nothing unless he changes the attitude.

I for one dont care for Lebron. I think he's overhyped, and is nowhere near winning a championship anytime. I doubt he'll be as great as MJ or Kobe at that.
However, if he starts getting them rings, eventually Im may have to eat dirt sometime and say, hes the best. Whether his attitude is ****ty or great.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
What exactly is your point that you agreed to on my post? The personal bendetta part?
Anyways, its not necessarily that I care about your opinion, but your opinion of Kobe is the general feeling amongst the Kobe haters, and Ive been wanting to know what it is that he'd have to do in order to gain general approval.
Is it just me or are you trying to be a jerk to me? Anyway, I'll spell it out for you, my "exact" point is the general feeling towards him. People don't look at the overall numbers to determine someone's greatness, personality and likenss count too and he's not very likable with a bad rep. His rape case in Colorado is very much fresh on my mind. Then, in the off season, he's constantly asking for this, that and the other including a trade in the beginning of this season which is the reason I posted this thread.

That's all I got, agree to disagree, he'll never be a Jordan in my book no matter what, the guy seems like a jerk.

I posted this thread back in late 2007 when he again was in the headlines asking for a trade acting like a 3rd grader so it's really funny that now I'm being jumped all over because he and the Lakers are having a great year. I wonder if everyone would be on his bandwagon if the Lakers weren't doing as well as they are.

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 05-09-2008 at 04:43 AM..

Old 05-09-2008, 08:40 AM

152 posts, read 366,239 times
I think Kobe's success this year is an illustration that personal maturity is really what distinguishes a great athlete from merely good athletes.

Kobe of the past, with his athleticism and scoring prowess, was a very good *but not great* athlete. He was much more introverted, self-centered, quiet, secluded from his teammates. You can't be a loner and a leader at the same time. You can get by fine with your inborn skills, but to go the next level you've got to have a personal maturity.

Now Kobe is coming of age. Kobe, with his newly-found maturity, takes his success a step further by empowering his teammates, unleashing their potentials. He talks more, to fire up his team. When you lead, you don't always have to be the scorer.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:49 PM

522 posts, read 1,008,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Is it just me or are you trying to be a jerk to me? Anyway, I'll spell it out for you, my "exact" point is the general feeling towards him. People don't look at the overall numbers to determine someone's greatness, personality and likenss count too and he's not very likable with a bad rep. His rape case in Colorado is very much fresh on my mind. Then, in the off season, he's constantly asking for this, that and the other including a trade in the beginning of this season which is the reason I posted this thread.

That's all I got, agree to disagree, he'll never be a Jordan in my book no matter what, the guy seems like a jerk.

I posted this thread back in late 2007 when he again was in the headlines asking for a trade acting like a 3rd grader so it's really funny that now I'm being jumped all over because he and the Lakers are having a great year. I wonder if everyone would be on his bandwagon if the Lakers weren't doing as well as they are.
no no no. Not trying to a jerk to you. I didnt understand what you were agreeing to in your last post.
Im trying to find out what if anything he could do in order for the majority of the Kobe haters change their position on his legacy. I can understand why some hate him. I dont though.
But it seems like the haters are blurring the line between greatness, and being the best.
Whereas I can conceed that greatness consists of more than what happens on the court. You have to have great personality and likeness.
But to be the best, all you should have to do really is look to the player's accomplishments. Championships, MVP awards, scoring titles, defense, basically posting phenomenal numbers, etc. But not necessarily what kind of guy he was.

but agree to disagree i guess

Last edited by wesside; 05-10-2008 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-10-2008, 03:22 PM

5,413 posts, read 10,466,272 times
Even though Bryant is a better team player this year and probably deserves the MVP, I still can't stand him. And don't get me started on all the calls he gets. At least Jordan deserved most of his trips to the free throw line.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,692,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Even though Bryant is a better team player this year and probably deserves the MVP, I still can't stand him. And don't get me started on all the calls he gets. At least Jordan deserved most of his trips to the free throw line.
Jordan deserved SOME of the calls, just as Kobe does.

I thought it was very telling that Jordan's game-winning shot at the end of his career was a push-off when Byron Russell was guarding him. I loved Jordan, but he was allowed to do whatever he wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball