U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,255,667 times

Advertisements

It is nice to see people with so money invest back into the city that invests in them. Durant is always class.

Kevin Durant of Oklahoma City Thunder to donate $1 million to tornado relief - ESPN

So as he watched the horrifying images Monday as a tornado ripped through suburban Moore, the emotions came bubbling to the surface and so did the need to help. Durant pledged $1 million for tornado relief through his family foundation on Tuesday, eager to help a devastated area begin to rebuild.

"As the day went on and I saw the footage and the casualties and the houses being blown away, it was tough to see," said Durant, who was in Minneapolis to watch longtime friend Monica Wright play a preseason game for the Minnesota Lynx. "I call Oklahoma City my home. I go through Moore all the time. It's unfortunate. We're going to come together as a city like we always do and we're going to bounce back."

Durant has been in Oklahoma City for five years now, ever since the Seattle SuperSonics moved there in 2008. He's become a fixture in the community, in addition to establishing himself as one of the very best players in the NBA. He said he was hoping to return home Wednesday to try and lift the spirits of an area reeling from the deaths of some two dozen people, including children.

"Just to get to the hospital, see some kids," Durant said. "Something. Just something to give some hope. Playing for the Thunder, we mean so much to the state. So many people support us and I just want to go back and support those people."

The American Red Cross said the gift from The Durant Family Foundation is meant to match other donations and be an incentive for more people to give. The Thunder also announced a $1 million donation, as did the NBA and players' union.

Continued in link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,416,173 times
Completely selfless and classy. It's great to see a celebrity give back to the people who support them.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,542,021 times
Default Kevin Durant is a great man

Kevin Durant is an exceptional human being. So easy for someone like him to do the opposite. Like our President, this is a unique man who stands for all that is high and noble, and represents the finest of human beings.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:47 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,324,180 times
Kevin Durant is an amazing role model to the people growing up today, I agree with the above. Exceptional person.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 AM

16,526 posts, read 20,972,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Kevin Durant is an amazing role model to the people growing up today, I agree with the above. Exceptional person.
Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball