Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:16 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times

Advertisements

So I'm seeing all these ridiculous articles and hearing all these discussions about whether Lebron could play in the NFL or not.

My answer is a resounding NO.

1. LeBron wants everybody to like him. That attitude will generally get you killed in the NFL.

2. Much more parity in the NFL. Lebron has only shown that he can win when the odds are stacked heavily in his favor. There's a reason it's rare for NFL teams to repeat as champs. He wouldn't be able to just join up with a couple of other great players in a weak conference and run everything.

3. The physicality. Lebron gets bothered by physical teams in the NBA. Can you imagine him getting hammered on a route across the middle?

4. Far too sensitive. This was seen when he overreacted to the Vogel's comments before the series started. In the NFL you're going to have a lot worse things said to you than that.

Overall, I think that's just silly water cooler talk and it represents what's wrong with today's sports broadcasting in general. Here we are, in the middle of the ECF, and instead of seriously breaking down the series people are asking whether Lebron can play in the NFL or not. He has the body, but nowhere near the mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
He would be great at wide receiver. He would be able to jump over almost every defensive back. My main concern though would be his toughness. Flopping in the NFL won't get you anywhere and he wouldn't get much respect from other NFL players as they would probably view him as soft.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
I think they're just posing the question because Tony Gonzales and Antonio Gates made the transition from college bball to TE successfully.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM

278 posts, read 307,710 times
I think he would be great at TE, in so far as catching the ball. I'm not sure what kind of blocker he would be. I also don't know if he has the speed to play WR in the NFL. Also, I don't think he would be a flopper in the NFL, but it works well in the NBA!
The guy is a genetic freak! NBA players are generally regarded as the best athletes in the world, given their size, athletecism, and skillsets. I think his strength, leaping ability, and size would translate well into the NFL.
But what's the point of arguing whether he would make a good NFL player? The guy is in the sport where he belongs and he's making his case for G.O.A.T.
I can admit this much, and I'm not even a fan!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
I don't know why people say Lebron struggles with physical teams or that he can't handle physical play. He gets fouled harder than probably anyone since Shaq and finishes with contact better than any perimeter player in history. He takes beatings and gets right up and calmly walks over to the free throw line. Guys bounce off of him when he has a full head of steam, even big men, and he doesn't shy away from contact. You can jump on him and wrap your arms around him and he still finishes the play.

He has struggled at times against great defenses. Great defenses tend to be physical. That doesn't mean he struggles against or shies away from physical play. Look at the teams that have given him trouble defensively- mainly the Pistons, Celtics, and Bulls. Those were elite defensive teams with great team defense and great coaching. They gave everyone trouble. Kobe shot 35% against the Pistons in the finals, 40.5% against the Celtics both times, and he's primarily a jump shooter.

I have very little doubt Lebron would be a very good wide receiver or tight end, and possibly one of the best ever. He would be the biggest and strongest wide receiver or the fastest and most explosive tight end. He has great hands and hand-eye coordination and is a freight train when he gets going. He is probably the most physically gifted athlete of all time. I think he would be pretty much unstoppable.

Let's not forget that he was a 2-time all-state wide receiver in high school. If I remember correctly he was the top ranked WR prospect his sophomore or junior year.

Here's what Jim Tressel said about him:

Quote:
He's so competitive and so physical. The speed at which he goes at 265 pounds, I don't know if there's anyone in the world — at that size — who moves like that. I remember watching his high school football film, I mean it was frightening.
Urban Meyer said he was the best WR prospect in the country as a sophomore.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 PM

462 posts, read 427,533 times
Yeah, LeBron was all-state as WR in high school.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
So I'm seeing all these ridiculous articles and hearing all these discussions about whether Lebron could play in the NFL or not.

My answer is a resounding NO.

1. LeBron wants everybody to like him. That attitude will generally get you killed in the NFL.

2. Much more parity in the NFL. Lebron has only shown that he can win when the odds are stacked heavily in his favor. There's a reason it's rare for NFL teams to repeat as champs. He wouldn't be able to just join up with a couple of other great players in a weak conference and run everything.

3. The physicality. Lebron gets bothered by physical teams in the NBA. Can you imagine him getting hammered on a route across the middle?

4. Far too sensitive. This was seen when he overreacted to the Vogel's comments before the series started. In the NFL you're going to have a lot worse things said to you than that.

Overall, I think that's just silly water cooler talk and it represents what's wrong with today's sports broadcasting in general. Here we are, in the middle of the ECF, and instead of seriously breaking down the series people are asking whether Lebron can play in the NFL or not. He has the body, but nowhere near the mentality.
You must listen to a lot of Taylor Swift.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
You must listen to a lot of Taylor Swift.

What does that even mean?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What does that even mean?
She tends to whine a lot in her songs.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
lol, that's lol funny, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball