Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
He is - unless you consider elbows, flopping and putting opposing players at constant injury risk to be classy & clean

I really didn't even think it was a point of discussion, but generally understood
Flops maybe so, elbows and putting players at risk? You got Manu confused with someone else.
As for flopping, Manu has yet to get so much as a warning, it's not like he's Chris bosh or Lebron or wade or Chris Paul or a list of others.

Take the hate and move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 03:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Manu is recognized as one of the biggest floppers in the league and his elbows frequent, or are you forgetting the most recent example when he put one in LeBrons windpipe when LeBron had the audacity to try and run behind him? This shortly after he made zero attempt at the ball and dangerously grabbed the arm of a player in mid-air - granted Tony Allen exagerated his damage (which is also not classy) - yet that doesn't alleviate him from that dangerous act

He's like a cheap version of Vlade Divac & Karl Malone

Not saying he's a bad player or anything .... but recognize it for what it is ....

He's a player that has injured himself when flopping - hes' also injured other players

I mean the Onion wrote a spoof piece that he isn't flopping at full speed due to injury - which again just reinforces his earned reputation

A line like this wouldn't be funny satire if it was rooted in truth

Quote:
"I'm used to throwing myself 10, sometimes 12 feet down court. At this point, I'm lucky if I'm getting 8 on a good flop. My wailing is good, but I need to be hitting the floor a lot harder than the guy hit me, if I was hit. I can't catch myself with my hands like I did in the second quarter tonight. That was bush league." Ginobili then flung himself out of the locker room, slid backward onto a bus, and tumbled wildly into his suburban home
Injured Manu Ginobili Only Flopping At 85% | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

An article where NBA players ranked him the 2nd best flopper in the league in 2011
Spurs Nation » Manu named among the NBA’s best floppers by other players

Even if you wanted to discount his elbows, constant grabbing, the wreckless nature in which he flops (frequently into others legs or into others in a vulnerable position) ....... the flops alone are insane enough to remove any thought of "class" from his game

I have no "spurs hate" - but truth is truth

Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Manu is recognized as one of the biggest floppers in the league and his elbows frequent, or are you forgetting the most recent example when he put one in LeBrons windpipe when LeBron had the audacity to try and run behind him? This shortly after he made zero attempt at the ball and dangerously grabbed the arm of a player in mid-air - granted Tony Allen exagerated his damage (which is also not classy) - yet that doesn't alleviate him from that dangerous act

He's like a cheap version of Vlade Divac & Karl Malone

Not saying he's a bad player or anything .... but recognize it for what it is ....

He's a player that has injured himself when flopping - hes' also injured other players

I mean the Onion wrote a spoof piece that he isn't flopping at full speed due to injury - which again just reinforces his earned reputation

A line like this wouldn't be funny satire if it was rooted in truth

Injured Manu Ginobili Only Flopping At 85% | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

An article where NBA players ranked him the 2nd best flopper in the league in 2011
Spurs Nation » Manu named among the NBA’s best floppers by other players

Even if you wanted to discount his elbows, constant grabbing, the wreckless nature in which he flops (frequently into others legs or into others in a vulnerable position) ....... the flops alone are insane enough to remove any thought of "class" from his game

I have no "spurs hate" - but truth is truth
The onion? Lmao those guys have constantly hit on the spurs from Manu to Tim to tony and Eva.

How many players has Manu hurt? How many have been injured by him ever? Dudes been playing ball for 22yrs professionally and has never been accused of being dirty, or accused of hurting or almost hurting any players legitimately. That notion is just silly. Manu made a play for tony Allen's arm/hand which is part of the ball per league rule. Tony laid the flop of all flops and clearly he sold you.

When has Manu hurt himself flopping? That must have been here in Houston where the games are blacked out because I've watched nearly every spurs game via league pass for years and never seen that.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
He hurt himself against boston flopping

He hurt leandro barbosa flopping

Sorry, the forearm is not a part of the basketball per league rules .... even if it was the way that rule goes is more about contact, not a full on grab and pull and I even stated in my post I didn't buy Allens flop ... it doesn't erase what was a dirty play though

I notice no comment about his peers stating he's one of the biggest floppers in the league

There are highlight reels on youtube of him flopping

Here are two more where he hurt himself flopping
TopFlops.com » Manu Ginobili

He is what he is and the tape doesn't lie ........ shouldn't impact your enjoyment of your team though

I loved Xavier McDaniel and Gary Payton - neither were classy ballers

Larry Bird is one of my all time favorites - not a classy baller

Neither is Manu - he's cheap as all get out .... however, if my team still existed I wouldn't hesitate to have him on it

Old 08-14-2013, 06:04 PM

I assume you're speaking of Manu getting a bruised quad vs the celtics? How do you call getting kneed in the leg a flop? Had Manu fell and broke a wrist on a flop ummm ok, but getting a knee to the quad isn't a flop.

As for barbosa, Manu and bell pushing off on each other to gain position and Manu fell back running into barbosa? As if he knew barbosa was behind him or something? Barbosa has been injured countless times in his career, clearly he's injury prone and always has been.

I'll leave it at you clearly dislike Manu, don't watch him play enough, and are searching for anything you can to try to take something away from what he's accomplished. He hasn't played any more dangerous then any other player in the league, he has never intentionally or otherwise tried to injure anyone or himself.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:05 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
4th in the West behind the Thunder, Clippers and Rockets, first round exit against the Warriors/Grizzlies?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:44 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Sheesh, the Spurs are a widely respected and classy team but it doesn't mean they were perfect.

They played as a team, they re-worked contracts, took different roles and many other things that you don't always see a lot in the NBA.

Manu having a rep as a flopper doesn't change any of that and yes Rigas, Manu is pretty well known as a flopper and you know the Spurs are my 2nd fav team in the league.

Heck, if anything the unclassiest thing I can think of with the Spurs was Parker's um off-court hanky panky but in the NBA that's every team so no biggie.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
4th in the West behind the Thunder, Clippers and Rockets, first round exit against the Warriors/Grizzlies?
Depends on injuries.

After all, that's the reigning WC champ that gave Miami all it could handle....predicting a 1st round exit is IMO a bit out there unless you know something about future injuries we don't.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sheesh, the Spurs are a widely respected and classy team but it doesn't mean they were perfect.

They played as a team, they re-worked contracts, took different roles and many other things that you don't always see a lot in the NBA.

Manu having a rep as a flopper doesn't change any of that and yes Rigas, Manu is pretty well known as a flopper and you know the Spurs are my 2nd fav team in the league.

Heck, if anything the unclassiest thing I can think of with the Spurs was Parker's um off-court hanky panky but in the NBA that's every team so no biggie.
Didn't say Manu wasn't a FLOPPER, said he's no worse than countless others. My entire point is that someone..... Was implying Manu as being dirty, and he is FAR from dirty!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Didn't say Manu wasn't a FLOPPER, said he's no worse than countless others. My entire point is that someone..... Was implying Manu as being dirty, and he is FAR from dirty!
Manu falls under the category of "cagey veteran". I would agree that the HOF is full of guys that know how to "work it" but that's part of the game.

Here is the NBA 2013 poll on dirtiest players as voted by NBA players. I'm posting this prior to seeing beyond the first guy....now upon looking, Ginobli isn't in the top 15 so I really can't see "dirty" as a fair description.

Reggie Evans - Los Angeles Clippers - NBA Poll: Dirtiest Player - Photos - SI.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball