Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kobe vs LeBron
Black Mamba 16 38.10%
The King 26 61.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
You've never seen Kobe quit? Game 6 versus the Phoenix Suns?
Sorry, I just yawned while reading that. Just because Barkley called Kobe out on national tv after that game all of a sudden it's 100% truth. Gee, if Charles Barkley jumped off a bridge...

Replace Kobe with LeBron in that series and it's: "Oh, LeBron had sh*tty teammates who couldn't do anything and they let him down!" But rest assured, Kobe Bryant bears credit for every possible negative outcome in NBA history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Sorry, I just yawned while reading that. Just because Barkley called Kobe out on national tv after that game all of a sudden it's 100% truth. Gee, if Charles Barkley jumped off a bridge...

Replace Kobe with LeBron in that series and it's: "Oh, LeBron had sh*tty teammates who couldn't do anything and they let him down!" But rest assured, Kobe Bryant bears credit for every possible negative outcome in NBA history.
I don't know what Barkley has to do with anything, I don't even remember him saying anything about it.

I watched the game live with no volume (at a bar). I was rooting really hard for the Lakers because Kobe was getting the same treatment that Lebron has gotten in the last few years, which wasn't fair because Kobe didn't have much help on that team.

But he still quit and blatantly refused to shoot the ball in the second half to prove some kind of point. You can't selectively apply standards to whoever you want.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
LeBron.

LeBron can carry any team to 55 wins.

Kobe in his prime maybe 40-45 wins.

I'd still rather have Kobe of today in the last 2 minutes of the game, but that doesn't mean he's better. That's like saying Robert Horry is better than Charles Barkley.

Lebron gets you there. Kobe finishes the job, but needs a lot of help to get there.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
I don't know what Barkley has to do with anything, I don't even remember him saying anything about it.
I recall that, Kobe visited the TNT studios to confront Barkley about his comment that Kobe gave up, or something to that effect. I'd put up the youtube link but my job blocks that site....

Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
You've never seen Kobe quit? Game 6 versus the Phoenix Suns?
LeBron puts up close to 30 points and 18 boards while playing banged up and "he quit"

Kobe literally stands at the half court line and refuses to engage with his teamates and throws his hands up in a series and "he's just a fierce competitor"

LeBron doesn't make his big man better?!? He doesn't attack the rim over people?!? - I really don't know where people come up with this stuff

Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
LeBron.

LeBron can carry any team to 55 wins.

Kobe in his prime maybe 40-45 wins.

I'd still rather have Kobe of today in the last 2 minutes of the game, but that doesn't mean he's better. That's like saying Robert Horry is better than Charles Barkley.

Lebron gets you there. Kobe finishes the job, but needs a lot of help to get there.
Does he though? I've seen him hit nothing but air on more than a few occasions.

I think Eugene has done an excellent job in showing that one you remove preconceived notions and what you think the facts are and just look at the actual information the reality doesn't match the perception

Old 06-24-2013, 02:07 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Does he though? I've seen him hit nothing but air on more than a few occasions.

I think Eugene has done an excellent job in showing that one you remove preconceived notions and what you think the facts are and just look at the actual information the reality doesn't match the perception
The only facts I have to go on are my memory and I remember Kobe hitting dagger after dagger against teams. I was always rooting against the Lakers.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I recall that, Kobe visited the TNT studios to confront Barkley about his comment that Kobe gave up, or something to that effect. I'd put up the youtube link but my job blocks that site....
Here it is:
NBA on TNT | Charles Barkley Goes Up Against Kobe! - YouTube

I meant game 7 earlier by the way, not game 6. Game 6 was the game Kobe had ~50 points and they lost in OT.

Kobe says he was sticking to the gameplan of trying to get teammates involved. If Lebron doesn't shoot and passes to teammates for good looks and they're not making them he's being "too passive." That excuse has never flown for Lebron. He has been criticized for years for not being aggressive enough with scoring. So if we're applying the same standards to each...

That was the same year he had the 81-point game. He had just come off of a ~50-point game. He averaged 35.4 points a game that year. He averaged 27 FGA per game that year, far above any other year, and if I remember correctly, far above any other player in the league that year. He had to play like that that year because he didn't have much help. Where was this "gameplan" of deferring to Luke Walton and Smush Parker the rest of the year? I had been defending Kobe the whole year for shooting so much. He had to because his supporting cast was so weak. That's what got them in the playoffs. But we're supposed to believe that in an elimination game he made an about face and decided to trust Smush Parker, Luke Walton, and Devon George to shoot them back into the game? I'm not buying it.

2010 Game 6 Lebron had 27 points, 19 rebounds, 10 assists, 3 steals, and a block against a much better defense.
2006 Game 7 Kobe had 24 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 steals, and 1 block.

Lebron has 10 points and 6 rebounds in the 4th quarter. Kobe has 0 points and 1 rebound.

I'm not sure how anyone can say that Lebron quit on his team but Kobe didn't.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Here it is:
NBA on TNT | Charles Barkley Goes Up Against Kobe! - YouTube

I meant game 7 earlier by the way, not game 6. Game 6 was the game Kobe had ~50 points and they lost in OT.

Kobe says he was sticking to the gameplan of trying to get teammates involved. If Lebron doesn't shoot and passes to teammates for good looks and they're not making them he's being "too passive." That excuse has never flown for Lebron. He has been criticized for years for not being aggressive enough with scoring. So if we're applying the same standards to each...

That was the same year he had the 81-point game. He had just come off of a ~50-point game. He averaged 35.4 points a game that year. He averaged 27 FGA per game that year, far above any other year, and if I remember correctly, far above any other player in the league that year. He had to play like that that year because he didn't have much help. Where was this "gameplan" of deferring to Luke Walton and Smush Parker the rest of the year? I had been defending Kobe the whole year for shooting so much. He had to because his supporting cast was so weak. That's what got them in the playoffs. But we're supposed to believe that in an elimination game he made an about face and decided to trust Smush Parker, Luke Walton, and Devon George to shoot them back into the game? I'm not buying it.

2010 Game 6 Lebron had 27 points, 19 rebounds, 10 assists, 3 steals, and a block against a much better defense.
2006 Game 7 Kobe had 24 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 steals, and 1 block.

Lebron has 10 points and 6 rebounds in the 4th quarter. Kobe has 0 points and 1 rebound.

I'm not sure how anyone can say that Lebron quit on his team but Kobe didn't.
Oh I agree completely, Kobe had a few games in his career where he intentionally became passive/stopped shooting to prove a point(usually a response to criticism that he was shooting too much). I think that game 7 falls into that category. That particular Lakers squad lived and died on Kobe being offensively aggressive.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
I think Sir Charles has pissed off every player on every team at some point....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball