Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these cities has the best chance of gaining an NBA franchise?
Seattle 141 51.09%
San Jose 5 1.81%
Omaha 7 2.54%
Kansas City 27 9.78%
St. Louis 37 13.41%
Pittsburgh 9 3.26%
Las Vegas 21 7.61%
Vancouver 5 1.81%
Montreal 13 4.71%
Virginia Beach 11 3.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,882,821 times

Advertisements

Also, you can expect the Niners to win it all this season. You can cement that on the ground and put it in writing and I'm not the only one that thinks so. Las Vegas puts them at the strongest odds, not the Seahawks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,435,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Also, you can expect the Niners to win it all this season. You can cement that on the ground and put it in writing and I'm not the only one that thinks so. Las Vegas puts them at the strongest odds, not the Seahawks.
What are you talking about? Seattle and San Francisco are at the same exact odds.......

Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,882,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
What are you talking about? Seattle and San Francisco are at the same exact odds.......
Yeah I don't think so.

Super Bowl odds update ? 49ers new lone favorite despite 'curse' - Linemakers - Sporting News

Old 07-02-2013, 11:25 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,045,271 times
Go Niners!! Not fair theyre in the same division....

Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Odds differ from source to source. I would beat on the 49ers with the Receiving core. Kaepernick only played half the season last year. Teams half tape on him now and can implement ways to stop him. He isn't as crafty as Russell Wilson, so i'm not sure if he'll have a superbowl year. Their defense will be the only reason they have a chance at the superbowl.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:56 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,780,976 times
Ok, I'm pretty much done with this thread. It's become a p*ssing contest between Seattle and Sacramento supporters, so I'm out.

But if we're just going by POTENTIAL NBA cities, you, I, and everyone else knows damn well it's Seattle and it will be Seattle. Period.

I'm out.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 AM

144 posts, read 269,299 times
I haven't read each of the previous 31 pages on this topic, but to get things back on track here, I'll give my top 5 NBA relocation cities for moving into new markets and out of current ones.

Could be relocated

New Orleans: Even with the rebranding efforts, there just doesn't seem to be the population or fan demand for the NBA in New Orleans. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual butts in seats attendance for most Hornets games the last 4 years was less than 5K per game. Take a look at some archived game pics if you don't believe me.

Milwaukee: Hate to say this one because Milwaukee is a pretty good sports town, but the interest for the Bucks just isn't there anymore. Marquette and UW are far more popular when it comes to bball. Milwaukee would be a great city for MLS though. It's kind of like a midwestern version of Portland in a lot of ways.

Atlanta: This will never happen but Atlanta couldn't care much less about their Hawks. Attendance and TV ratings are a joke. Atlanta for the NBA is almost kind of like LA is for the NFL (obvious difference being Atlanta still has its team). There are plenty of NBA fans in Atlanta, just not plenty of diehard Hawks fans. The NBA national games and playoff ratings in Atlanta are great, which is why the NBA will never leave Atlanta, but all of that national love just hasn't transferred to the Hawks.

Charlotte: Like Atlanta, I don't see this happening anytime soon, but also like Atlanta, Bobcats attendance and TV ratings are a joke. At least Charlotte has the excuse of bad bball to fall back on though.

Philadelphia: That's right, I said it. Come at me Philly! This won't ever happen because of the large market, but Philly couldn't care less about the Sixers. Attendance has sucked for years. I read a story about a guy in Philly that bought an entire row of upper deck seats to a Sixers game for $1 a seat. Honestly Philly fans, how often do the Sixers come up in regular sports conversation? Philly supports all of its other teams with great numbers and passion, but for whatever reason (and even with some halfway decent teams) the Sixers have lately been the red-headed stepchild of Philly sports.

waiting list: Detroit, Sacramento (after the fans realize how the NBA is totally screwing them over by taking away their rights to revenue sharing)

Cities/Markets that could potentially succeed with an NBA team

Louisville: Make no mistake about it, the YUM Center was not just built for UL. I would be surprised if an NBA team doesn't make its way to Louisville in the next decade. People in Kentucky are absolutely obsessed with college bball, and I suspect that with a decent NBA team, Louisville could become an OKC or Memphis type of home court.

Richmond or Hampton Roads: This area is ready for pro sports, and the NBA is probably the easiest to break into in terms of the amount of fan support needed to sustain the viabillity of the franchise.

Orange County: The population and money are there to make it profitable if anyone has to stones to try and break into the Lakers/Clippers turf.

Seattle: The only fanbase that complains more about its team being taken away from them is Quebec with the Nordiques. The complaints are valid though, Seattle deserves its NBA team back.

2nd Chicago: This one always gets floated around every 5 years or so. Chicago was in the running for both the Hornets and Grizzlies when they relocated awhile back, and the President of the Magic recently said that if Orlando wouldn't have built a new arena for the Magic, they would have relocated to Chicago. There's enough population and bandwagonism in Chicago for a suburban arena/fanbase.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 AM

799 posts, read 1,027,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH3Flatlander View Post
I haven't read each of the previous 31 pages on this topic, but to get things back on track here, I'll give my top 5 NBA relocation cities for moving into new markets and out of current ones.

Could be relocated

New Orleans: Even with the rebranding efforts, there just doesn't seem to be the population or fan demand for the NBA in New Orleans. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual butts in seats attendance for most Hornets games the last 4 years was less than 5K per game. Take a look at some archived game pics if you don't believe me.

Milwaukee: Hate to say this one because Milwaukee is a pretty good sports town, but the interest for the Bucks just isn't there anymore. Marquette and UW are far more popular when it comes to bball. Milwaukee would be a great city for MLS though. It's kind of like a midwestern version of Portland in a lot of ways.

Atlanta: This will never happen but Atlanta couldn't care much less about their Hawks. Attendance and TV ratings are a joke. Atlanta for the NBA is almost kind of like LA is for the NFL (obvious difference being Atlanta still has its team). There are plenty of NBA fans in Atlanta, just not plenty of diehard Hawks fans. The NBA national games and playoff ratings in Atlanta are great, which is why the NBA will never leave Atlanta, but all of that national love just hasn't transferred to the Hawks.

Charlotte: Like Atlanta, I don't see this happening anytime soon, but also like Atlanta, Bobcats attendance and TV ratings are a joke. At least Charlotte has the excuse of bad bball to fall back on though.

Philadelphia: That's right, I said it. Come at me Philly! This won't ever happen because of the large market, but Philly couldn't care less about the Sixers. Attendance has sucked for years. I read a story about a guy in Philly that bought an entire row of upper deck seats to a Sixers game for $1 a seat. Honestly Philly fans, how often do the Sixers come up in regular sports conversation? Philly supports all of its other teams with great numbers and passion, but for whatever reason (and even with some halfway decent teams) the Sixers have lately been the red-headed stepchild of Philly sports.

waiting list: Detroit, Sacramento (after the fans realize how the NBA is totally screwing them over by taking away their rights to revenue sharing)

Louisville: Make no mistake about it, the YUM Center was not just built for UL. I would be surprised if an NBA team doesn't make its way to Louisville in the next decade. People in Kentucky are absolutely obsessed with college bball, and I suspect that with a decent NBA team, Louisville could become an OKC or Memphis type of home court.

Richmond or Hampton Roads: This area is ready for pro sports, and the NBA is probably the easiest to break into in terms of the amount of fan support needed to sustain the viabillity of the franchise.

Orange County: The population and money are there to make it profitable if anyone has to stones to try and break into the Lakers/Clippers turf.

Seattle: The only fanbase that complains more about its team being taken away from them is Quebec with the Nordiques. The complaints are valid though, Seattle deserves its NBA team back.

2nd Chicago: This one always gets floated around every 5 years or so. Chicago was in the running for both the Hornets and Grizzlies when they relocated awhile back, and the President of the Magic recently said that if Orlando wouldn't have built a new arena for the Magic, they would have relocated to Chicago. There's enough population and bandwagonism in Chicago for a suburban arena/fanbase.
This is a very good analysis, probably the best in this thread. Out of the 1st 5, I would guess that Milwaukee has the strongest chance of being relocated. MJ isn't moving the Hornets from Charlotte, ATL and Philly do OK, and New Orleans just got rebranded so they'll probably see a surge in attendance for a short time. And most likely to get a new team (other than Seattle), probably Hampton Roads.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,918,017 times
Quote:

Could be relocated

Any list that puts Philly as one of the cities that could be located, I can't take seriously. Even if the 76ers relocated to a different city, are people from the Philly area suppose to all of a sudden support rival teams like the NY Knicks or the Brooklyn Nets? I would rather root for a California team than ever support a New York City team.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Could be relocated

There will be an NBA team in Seattle before they ever consider southern california or a 2nd Team in Chicago. I honestly don't think 2 chicago teams would workout. This works for baseball but those teams have history.They is Diehard Bulls fans in chicago that I KNOW would just start cheering for another team. Plus the Bulls would not agree on splitting the market. NBA just has alot more options then diluting another Market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Any list that puts Philly as one of the cities that could be located, I can't take seriously. Even if the 76ers relocated to a different city, are people from the Philly area suppose to all of a sudden support rival teams like the NY Knicks or the Brooklyn Nets? I would rather root for a California team than ever support a New York City team.
Thats the point, you don't. Seattle fans didn't just start cheering for Portland. NBA fans watch the NBA but don't have a Real team anymore that they support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball