Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:45 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,237 times

Advertisements

PG: Magic. Who better to run the show?

SG: Jordan. Um, he had cool shoes.

SF: Bird. With Magic and Jordan, I need a deadly outside shooter. I almost went with Durant, but Bird gives you better rebounding and passing to go with the shooting.

PF: Duncan. Wanted the size, defense and all-around game of "The Big Fundamental" to compliment the inside game of...

C: Olajuwon. Great defense, great offense, what more do you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 02:12 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Incidentally, this is an awesome topic. If anything, we should have an extension of this thread as to who would formulate the bench. The next 5.

You know when a topic is good when you are thinking about at work, or in your spare time.
That's why I started it, I find myself thinking about it all the time, and about other combinations.

How about an all-defensive/rebounding team...

PG Gary Payton
SG Michael Jordan
SF Dennis Rodman
PF Ben Wallace
C David Robinson or Dikembe Mutombo

Imagine trying to score on that.

Or a giant team:

PG Lebron James
SG Kevin Durant
SF Dirk Nowitzki
PF Kareem Abdul Jabar
C Yao Ming

Old 07-21-2013, 02:25 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post

SF: Bird. With Magic and Jordan, I need a deadly outside shooter. I almost went with Durant, but Bird gives you better rebounding and passing to go with the shooting.

PF: Duncan. Wanted the size, defense and all-around game of "The Big Fundamental" to compliment the inside game of...

Exactly the same except I would have Kareem or Wilt at center.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post

Just found this thread today and this was my 5 except I also went with Kareem. You knew what he was going to do and you still couldn't stop him.

And I own 3 Olajuwon t-shirts.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Well I say you just clone Brett Favre and make your starting 5 a bunch of Brett Favre's. Wrong sport but John Madden would approve! :-)

Old 08-01-2013, 03:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
How about a Philadelphia hometown starting 5 - not too shaby

Kobe Bryant
Wilt Chamberlain
Rasheed Wallace
Earl Monroe
Aaron Mckee

But some other that may make sense (Cuttino Mobley, Tyreke Evans, Eddie Griffin, Jameer Nelson, or Malik Rose)

But an interesting group to me as a hometown starting 5

Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
If we're talking about a TEAM, I'd put Bill Russell at center. The guy made his Celtics teammates so much better, mainly through his spectacular defensive play and very underrated passing.

Can you imagine a versatile player like Russell playing with other all-time great versatile players from other positions, like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and/or LeBron James (or a few other guys like Oscar Robertson, Julius Erving, Clyde Drexler, or Kobe Bryant)? That would have been one unbelievable team to watch.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:42 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
How about a Philadelphia hometown starting 5 - not too shaby

Kobe Bryant
Wilt Chamberlain
Rasheed Wallace
Earl Monroe
Aaron Mckee

But some other that may make sense (Cuttino Mobley, Tyreke Evans, Eddie Griffin, Jameer Nelson, or Malik Rose)

But an interesting group to me as a hometown starting 5
You forgot Gene Banks, Michael Brooks, and Lionel Simmons, among others.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 PM

36 posts, read 44,279 times
PG-Magic Johnson
SG-Michael Jordan
SF-LeBron James/Larry Bird
PF-Tim Duncan
C-Hakeem Olajuwon

Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
If we're talking about a TEAM, I'd put Bill Russell at center. The guy made his Celtics teammates so much better, mainly through his spectacular defensive play and very underrated passing.
This is a good point. If we're talking team, sometimes less is more. I recall when the Bulls had Horace Grant. He was excellent with good foot speed at 6'10", but he was resentful of being the dirty work guy. When Grant left as an FA, the Bulls got Rodman, who embraced the dirty work role, and didn't need touches on offense. This left Pippen & Jordan more free to operate on offense, and the team was better. The Bulls won titles with Grant, but the Pippen-Jordan-Rodman combo went 72-10 one year, IIRC the all-time NBA record.

Any of these teams mentioned would have a major problem with 'not enough basketballs to go around.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball