Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Not one person has posted a team that's better than MJs....
MJ's team has MJ on it. Nobody else's team can have MJ.

But I think my team would beat his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 11:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
1. Kidd
2. Erving
3. James
4. Bird
5. O'Neal
My 2cents on your team....

Kidd, although I love Kidd, he helped Dirk get a title, he's a horrible shooter and while he's a great floor general, he's not close to magic.

Erving is great of course, but prime for prime he's a step ahead of worthy but not a ton in this context

James, I will never trust, he'd crap his pants in the presence of such greatness.

Bird, prime would be a great add, but heck.

Oneal power vs Hakeem skill, great match up but in a pick up game the points would equal out.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 PM

LeBron isn't Jordan. Nobody is. But he can play/guard all five positions. He's carried the Heat to three straight finals. It's his league. In 5 years, the "I don't trust him" stuff won't be there.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:03 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:
U may swap bird for worthy, but heck if worthys is your "weak link" than they can live with that.

Ok dammit, MJ's team cannot beat this one:

Oscar Robertson
Kobe
Lebron
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain

Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,398 times
I grow up loving everything Jordan. In retirement, he is getting on my nerves. His time is done.

On his pickup team...ok, whatever...why doesn't he worry about your freaking Bobcats or that hot azz wife. Again, his time is done.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I grow up loving everything Jordan. In retirement, he is getting on my nerves. His time is done.

On his pickup team...ok, whatever...why doesn't he worry about your freaking Bobcats or that hot azz wife. Again, his time is done.
Bobcats aren't a playoff team. They're changing their name and colors next year. He's got little to do until the season ends.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
Quote:
U may swap bird for worthy, but heck if worthys is your "weak link" than they can live with that.
I disagree. The modern crop are far and away better, if not often smaller, then the older players. MJ's team has good passers (Magic) but not on the level of guys like LeBron, Rondo, CP3, Rubio. MJ's team is also seriously lacking the 3pt presence of a guy like Ray Allen or Reggie Miller.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

Oscar Robertson
Kobe
Lebron
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
That's sort of the other question, we're all assuming the players we write are in their prime but are we assuming the players are normalized to the era?

For example, are we taking Jerry West or Oscar Robertson relative to the players who played in the 1960s? Or, are we taking those guys and simply dropping them onto the court now? West was 6'3" O was about 6'1", and while other great guards like Nash and Stockton were small, today's guards are as talented but they're 6'6"+ and 40 pounds heavier.

Wilt was about as big as anyone in the 1960s but (and Bill Russell was what, 6'9"?) but even big Wilt would be manhandled by Shaq.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,421,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Bear in mind that simply collecting the 'biggest' names on a hypothetical dream team doesn't mean they'll gel together, there's a chemistry element to consider. Certainly James Worthy is a sentimental pick, as would Scottie Pippen be as one figures at least guys like Bird and Lebron would be picked over him at the SF position. But given the Jordan-Pippen chemistry, they would possibly work better than MJ with either Bird or Lebron, even if they're 'better' players generally. Magic as a guy who can get everyone involved with his playmaking is the obvious pick to run a team of stars, and MJ clearly favors Hakeem's overall versatility at the center spot. I mean when you look at his roster,the perimeter and inside are both locked down. If I was to replace anyone, looking at the kind of team he's assembling and taking sentiment out of it, I would replace Worthy with Garnett at the PF spot.
True on the gel part. And I was thinking myself who would be great to put as PF in that spot, and was thinking of top PFs but Garnett would be a good choice and that'd be about one hell of a defensive team.

Quote:
MJ
Magic
Pippen
Worthy
Olajuwon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Here's the better question... what team would you field to beat MJs team?
PG - Stockton
SG - Reggie Miller
SF - Bird
PF - Malone
C - Shaq

The greatest offensive team without Michael Jordan ever assembled! And half of them are great at D too.

So basically here you have that duo of Stockton/Malone who of course lost to MJ/pip in the finals, but I think the Bulls had the better team. Would the 3 other guys on MJs team be better than this team?? Reggie and Bird are two players I think can play on almost any team in the NBA with their styles. (Reggie at least needs a decent PG). Shaq is a dominant force who would benefit from a good PG like Stockton or Bird getting him good position. But really he can just get the ball in the post and go.

On offense, Stockton to Malone all day, and Miller runs around looking to get open. Bird can always shoot, but has so many great hands around to make the extra pass to. Shaq (Laker Shaq) will give even Olajuwan trouble

On defense, Stockton on Pippen, Bird on Magic, Miller on MJ (hopefully Miller is mad), Shaq would struggle against Olajuwan, but hopefully Malone or Bird can double and strip the ball. Malone on Worthy I think would be an even matchup.

EDIT: or should I put Stockton on MJ, Miller on Pip?

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 11-15-2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 08:51 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

Oscar Robertson
Kobe
Lebron
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Agree on Russell, but I stayed in the same time period and went with Garnett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball