Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Christmas Day game
Brooklyn vs. Chicago 2 20.00%
Lakers vs. Heat 2 20.00%
Thunder vs. Knicks 0 0%
Spurs vs. Rockets 2 20.00%
Clippers vs. Warriors 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 01:46 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
What? First off Christmas basketball at the garden is a tradition. Why wouldn't people watch and who cares if its a "waste" of two bad teams playing each other at least the NY vs NY thing can make it bearable to watch.
I can assure you that very few people in New York actually watched that Nets/Bulls game. I only know of one person who did, and I'm a Nets fan from Brooklyn.

Nets/Knicks is a moneymaker. It sells out four times a year. People go and tune in who don't normally watch basketball. Putting it on Christmas Day would be a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 05:52 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Highlight of the day: the Wade to Lebron off the backboard alleyhoop with the lefty finish. Been a while since a play literally made me shout out 'oh S**T!' but that one did.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:17 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
As expected Clippers/Warriors was the best game of the day. I just wish the NBA had swapped time spots with the Heat/Lakers game because I was really struggling to stay awake in the 4th quarter of that late game.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:14 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Anybody out there think Bogut is a punk for getting Griffin thrown out?

Clippers should have messed him up. I know that's 80's basketball, but hey...

Griffin got thrown out for nothing.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:30 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
I can assure you that very few people in New York actually watched that Nets/Bulls game. I only know of one person who did, and I'm a Nets fan from Brooklyn.

Nets/Knicks is a moneymaker. It sells out four times a year. People go and tune in who don't normally watch basketball. Putting it on Christmas Day would be a waste.
Putting those teams on national tv period is a waste. Your speaking like the Nets vs Knicks has been some big rivalry for years or something. It's their second year in Brooklyn. Most people are turning on the TV to watch the Knicks not the Nets. It makes sense no one wood watch Nets Bulls. Like you said, people watch Nets Knicks, people would have watched Nets vs Knicks yesterday.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:27 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
I hate to bump 2 year old topics, but let's talk Christmas day games, what's everyone's favorite games. We have Pelicans @ Heat for the noon game, Bulls @ Thunder the 2:30 ABC game, Cavs @ Warriors the primetime ABC game, Spurs @ Rockets at 8, and Clippers @ Lakers (why??) at 10:30 both on ESPN.

Obviously, Cavs/Warriors is the big one, but the other 4 games nothing really stands out as much watch. Some of that (Pelicans) is due to injury, but still even without that excuse they still could've made it better with a few changes:

Lakers @ Spurs 2:30 ABC. I said this in either 2013 or the 2014 thread but the league putting the Lakers on ESPN makes absolutely no sense. They're not on TV because they are a good team.....or were going to be a good team! They are on TV strictly for the Kobe factor, so with that said why not ABC if your putting them on strictly for Kobe?? ABC is available on ANY TV set because it's a national station, so more people have ABC then ESPN, and a wider audience = more viewers = more money. Seriously, the people that schedule these games should take an economics class....or even better just rent Economics for Dummies 101! Plus you have the Kobe vs. Duncan factor, 2 of the greatest players of this generation potentially in their final seasons.

Bulls @ Thunder 8 ESPN. Meh. I think Clippers vs. Warriors and Bulls vs. Cavs would be better, but if you do that you have nothing to put on for the 10:30 slot.

Rockets @ Clippers 10:30 ESPN. Does anyone outside of LA really care about Clippers/Lakers anyways?? This was a great 7 game series last year, notwithstanding the complete choke job the Clipps pulled in that series.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:32 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I hate to bump 2 year old topics, but let's talk Christmas day games, what's everyone's favorite games. We have Pelicans @ Heat for the noon game, Bulls @ Thunder the 2:30 ABC game, Cavs @ Warriors the primetime ABC game, Spurs @ Rockets at 8, and Clippers @ Lakers (why??) at 10:30 both on ESPN.

Obviously, Cavs/Warriors is the big one, but the other 4 games nothing really stands out as much watch. Some of that (Pelicans) is due to injury, but still even without that excuse they still could've made it better with a few changes:

Lakers @ Spurs 2:30 ABC. I said this in either 2013 or the 2014 thread but the league putting the Lakers on ESPN makes absolutely no sense. They're not on TV because they are a good team.....or were going to be a good team! They are on TV strictly for the Kobe factor, so with that said why not ABC if your putting them on strictly for Kobe?? ABC is available on ANY TV set because it's a national station, so more people have ABC then ESPN, and a wider audience = more viewers = more money. Seriously, the people that schedule these games should take an economics class....or even better just rent Economics for Dummies 101! Plus you have the Kobe vs. Duncan factor, 2 of the greatest players of this generation potentially in their final seasons.

Bulls @ Thunder 8 ESPN. Meh. I think Clippers vs. Warriors and Bulls vs. Cavs would be better, but if you do that you have nothing to put on for the 10:30 slot.

Rockets @ Clippers 10:30 ESPN. Does anyone outside of LA really care about Clippers/Lakers anyways?? This was a great 7 game series last year, notwithstanding the complete choke job the Clipps pulled in that series.
Spurs play the Rockets. I think Lakers play Clippers.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:29 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Cavs Warriors only good game.

Lakers clips is prob just for west coast timing

Old 12-24-2015, 11:51 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Cavs Warriors only good game.

Lakers clips is prob just for west coast timing
Even though the Rockets aren't very good so far, the game against the Spurs might be decent. As a Spurs fan I'm hoping it'll be great: competitive, but comfortable Spurs win.

But yeah, the Cavs/Warriors looks like the only game with a high probability of being competitive and dramatically close.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:29 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Even though the Rockets aren't very good so far, the game against the Spurs might be decent. As a Spurs fan I'm hoping it'll be great: competitive, but comfortable Spurs win.

But yeah, the Cavs/Warriors looks like the only game with a high probability of being competitive and dramatically close.
As a Spurs fan living in Houston disliking 90% of the rockets, I hope it's an ugly blow out and rockets fans leave early in disappointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball