Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,852,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Also if you take away all of Shaq's dunks, his scoring and percentage drop almost to nothing.
but that's his game and what makes him so dominant. It would be a shame to have an athletic 350lb center not dunking on people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 08:11 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,387,926 times
Quote:
Also if you take away all of Shaq's dunks, his scoring and percentage drop almost to nothing.

He makes plenty of layups and hook shots.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,626,251 times
I would have to say Wilt. I'll give Shaq most dominant of the past 30 years or so...

Old 01-27-2014, 04:13 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,090,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post

He makes plenty of layups and hook shots.
A layup for a 7 footer is nothing and did you ever see his hook shot? One of the ugliest things that I had ever seen and it wasn't that effective. If you want to see a hook shot check out Kareem or Olajuwon some time.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:16 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,090,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
but that's his game and what makes him so dominant. It would be a shame to have an athletic 350lb center not dunking on people.
I don't mind him dunking and he was very athletic but don't put him up there as one of the best. If it was based on his defense, I would say so; but how hard is it for a guy who outweighs just about everyone and is about the same height or taller to dunk? Come on!

Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,852,915 times
I just don't see how we can fault Shaq for using his physical advantages. That's like saying Lebron is only good because his body allows him to be bigger/faster/stronger than just about anyone that guards him. Shaq is like bringing a ak47 to a sword fight.

With that said, I do appreciate players that can out skill there oppents instead of out athletic them. Larry Bird is someone that comes to mind - not the fastest, strongest or highest jumper, but very skilled and alert.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 AM

929 posts, read 1,652,482 times
Chamberlain didn't play against the quality of competition that Shaq did. He was a Pre-Erving-Era player, which is to say, like a baseball player during Ty Cobb's day.

He wouldn't have scored 100 points against a modern team. Kobe's 81 is a bigger feat, except to gray-hairs.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,387,926 times
Quote:
A layup for a 7 footer is nothing and did you ever see his hook shot? One of the ugliest things that I had ever seen and it wasn't that effective. If you want to see a hook shot check out Kareem or Olajuwon some time.
Seen em. Not the point.
Point is, he doesn't just dunk, yet he makes plenty of baskets.
Quote:
I don't mind him dunking and he was very athletic but don't put him up there as one of the best. If it was based on his defense, I would say so; but how hard is it for a guy who outweighs just about everyone and is about the same height or taller to dunk? Come on!
No one said he's the BEST. He was the most DOMINANT when he played (after MJ left)
Dominant means, you can throw every guy (or two) in the league at him and they won't stop what he wants to do.
Hard to come up with a list of players who can be that effective.

And height/weight definitely help, but don't count him out based on that.
Where's Eddy Curry these days?
Is Big Baby leading the league in anything?
Has Dwight Howard won any titles yet?
Ilgauskas as 7'3 didn't exactly dunk his way to 30 PPG did he? Or 10 RPG?
Is Hasheem Thabeet playing more than 10 minutes per game yet?

Shaq had a great Bigman body. But he also used it well too. He knew what his strengths were and how to use them. How many 7 footers have come and gone and whose names mean nothing to your average NBA fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Chamberlain didn't play against the quality of competition that Shaq did. He was a Pre-Erving-Era player, which is to say, like a baseball player during Ty Cobb's day.

He wouldn't have scored 100 points against a modern team. .
I agree with this. Shaq played in a time with numerous amount of great bigmen, and teams with good combinations of bigmen
Ewing-Oakley Knicks
Webber-Divac Kings (screwjob I know, but still good battles)
Arvydas-Wallace Blazers
Mourning Heat
Olajuwon Rockets
Robinson-Duncan Spurs
Dikembe multiple teams
Then you had a decent 7 footer on most teams or just good bigman defenders.

Wilt didn't have that kind of competition nightly. No decent bigmen to at least put a body on him. If he did, he'd still be great, just not the way he was. And I disagree with scoring 100 in the modern era. I think it can be done today. It'd have to be a scoring machine though and possibly OT. Today isn't the easiest era to do it in, but it also isn't the hardest.

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 01-28-2014 at 02:22 AM..

Old 01-28-2014, 02:47 AM

929 posts, read 1,652,482 times
Don't forget the Yao Rockets. 7'6, 8-time All-Star. They didn't make it very far in the playoffs, but still. He was able to dominate.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 AM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Wilt Chamberlain

Some numbers...

1961-1962 - Season Average - 50p/25r

15 games he scored 60+

One game - 78p/43r

His low point game for the year - 26p/31r

In a five game stretch
67p/21r
65p/23r
61p/28r
100p/25r
58p/35r

If you look at the game logs, he played the entire game on all nights except one where played 40 minutes. Someone with the handle Artis Gilmore answered why he missed 8 minutes...

Not quite true, he missed 8 minutes of that season (from the game on 1/3/62) because he was ejected due to two technicals. But he averaged over 48 minutes a game that season.

He never fouled out.

I don't think anything else needs to be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball