Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Nowadays when certain teams play you see this instead of one team doing this all the time. I'm a Warriors fan and when we play the Clips, you see Bogut and Greene especially doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Never a fan of the bad boys

I was never a fan of the style of play that characterized that version of the Pistons. I don't care for MMA or the MMA version of the NBA.

NBA players shouldn't have to dress up and fight like Roman Gladiators to play the game. Not interested in a game where there are more fouls than good plays.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:19 PM

603 posts, read 877,215 times
I'm jealous that I missed out on that era. I was born in metro Detroit around the time that squad was making its championship runs. I did, however, thoroughly enjoy the Chauncey/Rip/Tayshaun/Sheed/Big Ben era. Went to plenty of games and had a great time. It's too bad they were underachievers as they should have won at least 2 rings given how they went to the ECF 6-7 times in a row. That '04 run was pure magic, one of the most memorable teams in NBA history really. They were a group of cast-offs that came together to defeat the big bad star-studded Lakers. That Pistons team was the antithesis of the the cocky, arrogant, "superteam" in Miami right now.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
And I say this as a Bulls fan. If we could take those Bad Boy teams, put them in a time machine and let them play in 2014, that'd be awesome. Of course with the way they played and the way the players and refs are today, every game would be over at halftime because

A) a brawl
B) every Piston fouled out or
C) the other team would be so banged up they'd forfeit

Loved the bad boys and was so sad when they somehow never recovered from being swept in 1991. I will never understand why they just fell off the face of the earth after losing to the Bulls.

This thread reminds me how much i hate michael jordan

Old 02-21-2014, 01:56 AM

224 posts, read 273,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Oh, boy, are we living in the past or what..

The 90s knicks were similar to those Pistons in that they beat you up pretty bad.
The '80s Celtics were the same way, especially Danny Ainge. Don't forget Kevin McHale's clothesline of Kurt Rambis in the '84 Finals.

And before that, don't forget the '50s, '60s, and '70s, when EVERY NBA and ABA team had an enforcer or two on its roster.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:26 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3243 View Post
The '80s Celtics were the same way, especially Danny Ainge. Don't forget Kevin McHale's clothesline of Kurt Rambis in the '84 Finals.

And before that, don't forget the '50s, '60s, and '70s, when EVERY NBA and ABA team had an enforcer or two on its roster.

So if that's the case then why were the bad boys criticized so much?

Old 02-22-2014, 01:41 AM

Probably because they were seen at the time as taking hard fouls and on-court thuggery to a new level. Actually, when the Bad Boys arrived on the scene circa 1987, the NBA actually promoted them as being sort of the Oakland Raiders of basketball.

The criticism of their style of play came for two reasons in my opinion: they instigated a lot of fights, and they began to consistently shut down Michael Jordan (i.e. The Jordan Rules) and his team. When they put the brakes on the NBA's biggest attraction, and he started complaining about the Pistons' physicality to the league, the NBA withdrew their promotion of the Bad Boys and came up with the flagrant foul rules, so Jordan and the league's other high-flyers could safely go to the hoop as many times as they wished. I am certain the NBA also was worried that with the Pistons' success, more teams would start building their own Bad Boy imitations in order to handle the Pistons and/or intimidate or hammer other teams into submission (as the Knicks did during this period).

Old 02-22-2014, 11:35 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3243 View Post
Probably because they were seen at the time as taking hard fouls and on-court thuggery to a new level. Actually, when the Bad Boys arrived on the scene circa 1987, the NBA actually promoted them as being sort of the Oakland Raiders of basketball.

The criticism of their style of play came for two reasons in my opinion: they instigated a lot of fights, and they began to consistently shut down Michael Jordan (i.e. The Jordan Rules) and his team. When they put the brakes on the NBA's biggest attraction, and he started complaining about the Pistons' physicality to the league, the NBA withdrew their promotion of the Bad Boys and came up with the flagrant foul rules, so Jordan and the league's other high-flyers could safely go to the hoop as many times as they wished. I am certain the NBA also was worried that with the Pistons' success, more teams would start building their own Bad Boy imitations in order to handle the Pistons and/or intimidate or hammer other teams into submission (as the Knicks did during this period).

It wasn't call on-court thuggery, it was called "MAN BALL"

Old 02-22-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
It wasn't call on-court thuggery, it was called "MAN BALL"
Yes, I call it that, you call it that, so do many of us fans. But not the corporate-owned media, or the league and its corporate benefactors, who want to soften the sport as much as possible so their superstars whom they are paying millions of endorsement dollars to can just go to the basket any time they want to and produce more highlights for ESPN.

Same thing's happening in the other leagues, especially the NFL. That league has almost become unwatchable to me thanks to Roger Goodell's seeming efforts to turn it into a flag-football league.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:02 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Loved the bad boys and was so sad when they somehow never recovered from being swept in 1991. I will never understand why they just fell off the face of the earth after losing to the Bulls.

This thread reminds me how much i hate michael jordan
I also believe MJ was responsible for Thomas being excluded from the Dream Team despite Chuck Daly being head coach. MJ said that if Thomas was on the team, he would not participate and the NBA didn't want that to happen because Jordan was still on the rise at the time and his popularity would help increase international exposure to the NBA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball