U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which of these best describes David Sterns time as NBA commish
He goes down as the best commissioner recent pro sport history 8 36.36%
A good, solid overall tenure 7 31.82%
A mixed bag. Was not bad, or good enough to be catagorized either way 5 22.73%
He did a pretty bad job. 1 4.55%
Total disaster. 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2014, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,363,480 times
Reputation: 3070

Advertisements

I don't like the word legacy much these days. The boo-ya's use it for anyone and everyone and every situation. The legacy of an athlete is muddy, so much of their careers are determined by outside forces - a lucky bounce, being stuck on a bad team, injuries, and the list goes on. 95% of sports media was acting like Peyton Mannings legacy was on the line last Sunday. I cringe at that.

For a commish of a league, however, I think discussing a legacy is an appropiate narrative - especially David Stern. The man was in charge of the NBA for 30 years, and decisions he made every day mattered.

With that said, I'm interested in the average City-Data members opinion on the man. What are your thoughts on David Stern now that he is retired?

David Stern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Last edited by Orangeish; 02-05-2014 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,465,793 times
Reputation: 5401
I would say Stern is more of a mixed bag. He helped expand the league in the 80's and that's something he should always be praised for. However over the past 15 years, he has been more of a bad commissioner than I good one. Compared to commissioners in other pro-sports leagues, Stern is by far the most egotistical. He runs the NBA like a dictatorship as it is usually "his way or the highway". He once banned Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban from entering his own basketball arena. One of the worst things that has happened during the David Stern era was the relocation of the Seattle Supersonics. To turn his back on Seattle sports fans the way he did was simply "cold-hearted". That is a deep scar for the league as it is still prevalent to this today. Overall David Stern did some good things while he was a commissioner but he did some very bad things as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 AM
 
Location: New York City
929 posts, read 1,308,102 times
Reputation: 538
Stern was the best commissioner in recent North American sports history. And it's not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Miami/ Washington DC
4,836 posts, read 10,187,465 times
Reputation: 2512
He has had his issues like lockouts, I am not a big fan oft he CBA and the moving of the Sonics but overall he has been great. The NBA in the 80s was not as popular as even Baseball and finals games were on tape delay! Now look at the game! It is a global game and IMO the second most popular sport in the world. He has help make basketball a global game. He is in no doubt one of the best if not the best and more influential sports commissioner in the history of North American sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 08:48 AM
 
51,917 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Reputation: 32387
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I would say Stern is more of a mixed bag. He helped expand the league in the 80's and that's something he should always be praised for. However over the past 15 years, he has been more of a bad commissioner than I good one. Compared to commissioners in other pro-sports leagues, Stern is by far the most egotistical. He runs the NBA like a dictatorship as it is usually "his way or the highway". He once banned Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban from entering his own basketball arena. One of the worst things that has happened during the David Stern era was the relocation of the Seattle Supersonics. To turn his back on Seattle sports fans the way he did was simply "cold-hearted". That is a deep scar for the league as it is still prevalent to this today. Overall David Stern did some good things while he was a commissioner but he did some very bad things as well.
One mans scar to Seattle is another mans hugely hugely healthy and successful OKC franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 AM
 
51,917 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Reputation: 32387
My 2 cents: (I was torn between the top 2 ratings for him)

1) Global development of NBA brand. This CANNOT be underestimated in value.

2) Addressed the negatives of the sport by enforcing dress codes and just recently cracked down on complaining to refs after every call and flopping (a work in progress). He also busted the chops of players that gave the league bad press like Arenas.

3) Rookie salary structure and eliminated payroll loopholes etc. so the NBA didn't turn into MLB with insanely imbalanced payrolls. Especially with the new tax structure in place.

4) Lottery style draft to prevent tanking. (not sure when that went into place.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,465,793 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
One mans scar to Seattle is another mans hugely hugely healthy and successful OKC franchise.
I guess you never watched Sonicsgate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM
 
51,917 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Reputation: 32387
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
He has had his issues like lockouts, I am not a big fan oft he CBA and the moving of the Sonics but overall he has been great. The NBA in the 80s was not as popular as even Baseball and finals games were on tape delay! Now look at the game! It is a global game and IMO the second most popular sport in the world. He has help make basketball a global game. He is in no doubt one of the best if not the best and more influential sports commissioner in the history of North American sports.
You really summed up the big picture nicely.

Take one look at MLB and it's like night and day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,199 posts, read 10,414,132 times
Reputation: 11214
I agree a mixed bag; he did bring several positives to the league as Mathguy mentioned, but I think his star would shine brighter if it wasn't for his megalomaniac ways...characterized by his incident with Popovich last year. All in all, a solid legacy (better than that of, say, Bud Selig), but not without its warts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 AM
 
Location: New York City
929 posts, read 1,308,102 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
He has had his issues like lockouts, I am not a big fan oft he CBA and the moving of the Sonics but overall he has been great. The NBA in the 80s was not as popular as even Baseball and finals games were on tape delay! Now look at the game! It is a global game and IMO the second most popular sport in the world. He has help make basketball a global game. He is in no doubt one of the best if not the best and more influential sports commissioner in the history of North American sports.
He didn't move the Sonics, just as he didn't move the Nets, didn't move the Hornets, and wouldn't have been the one to move the Kings. That's owners for you.

If you want to go after a commish who was bad to Seattle, Bud Selig is your man.

Bought the Seattle Pilots so that he could move them to his hometown of Milwaukee. Created the Brewers. Then as commish moved the Brewers from the AL to the NL.

The owner of the OKC Thunder was an Oklahoma guy who bought the Sonics with no intention to keep them in WA, lied and said he would keep them there, etc. He's the villain, not Stern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top