Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:17 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
It is.

It's called flyover country for a reason. Other than the Bulls, I wouldn't want to play for any team that isn't on a coast.
You seem like a very intelligent individual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I never really thought of market size as much a factor for success as the right management and coaching staff. Obviously clear examples exist such as the Spurs. Boston always on top of New York. Detroit always on top of Atlanta and Washington.

Actually, the Bulls lead the league. Average out the last 13 years and I think the Bulls are #1

2001 - 2013
21008.63/Game

2013-2014 NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN
You can average it out all you want and the numbers wouldn't be valid based on different seating capacity per building. So the Bulls would obviously be higher if they have 2-3k more seats for their building.Currently the Warriors have more than 60 straight sellouts.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's really the point. Good franchises with good teams have done well in the NBA and haven't suffered for being small markets like they have in the wild spending MLB.

The two biggest names in basketball right now are Lebron and KD and they play for small to mid-market teams. Meanwhile, the Knicks suck and can't pull a Yankees and spend another $150million on payroll next year.

It's not like people have a hard time following the Heat or OKC because they don't have a subscription to the Miami Herald or are within broadcast range for their transitor radio.

Every single day I can easily see box-scores and highlights. The games are on TV nightly unlike back in the day when they are on only locally or maybe weekends etc.
The Knicks can spend all they want but they just keep getting the wrong players. If they spent another $500 million or 1 billion it would just effect their tax burden and they'd be way over the threshold. Unfortunately buying injured players, backups, and ball-hogs doesn't convert to championships. Get some decent guys (not necessarily superstars) that like to play together and have good chemistry, and they'll win some games.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The Knicks can spend all they want but they just keep getting the wrong players. If they spent another $500 million or 1 billion it would just effect their tax burden and they'd be way over the threshold. Unfortunately buying injured players, backups, and ball-hogs doesn't convert to championships. Get some decent guys (not necessarily superstars) that like to play together and have good chemistry, and they'll win some games.
No, the Knicks can't spend all they want. They are capped out. If you were more making the point that the knicks could screw up anything then I agree with you.

The tax amounts trigger on some of the items that are allowed outside of the cap like re-signing your own player and whatnot.

That's why most of the teams in tax trouble are the teams with guys in the last year or so of a long contract.

There is no possible way for an NBA team to "pull a Yankees" even if they had a trillion dollars to spend.

Thank god. I couldn't stand to watch the Knicks (or anybody else) spend their way to victory and would stop following the NBA just like I gave up on the stank that is MLB.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
No, the Knicks can't spend all they want. They are capped out. If you were more making the point that the knicks could screw up anything then I agree with you.

The tax amounts trigger on some of the items that are allowed outside of the cap like re-signing your own player and whatnot.

That's why most of the teams in tax trouble are the teams with guys in the last year or so of a long contract.

There is no possible way for an NBA team to "pull a Yankees" even if they had a trillion dollars to spend.

Thank god. I couldn't stand to watch the Knicks (or anybody else) spend their way to victory and would stop following the NBA just like I gave up on the stank that is MLB.
Look at a team like Miami. they have a huge financial advantage because any max deal they offer is state tax free if you are a Florida guy.
The tax ramifications are definitely different in basketball and there are certain stipulations for repeat offenders when going over the cap.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
You can average it out all you want and the numbers wouldn't be valid based on different seating capacity per building. So the Bulls would obviously be higher if they have 2-3k more seats for their building.Currently the Warriors have more than 60 straight sellouts.
That link shows percentage.
The Bulls have 1000 more seats in the building than the warriors. But they sell 2000 more seats this season. So you have 1000 people buying standing room seats up top. That link shows 103.4% filled capacity vs 100% Warriors. And the Bulls don't even have their star.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You seem like a very intelligent individual
I am. I happen to be an East Coast snob who hates Middle America, but that has nothing to do with IQ.

Quote:

Not exactly true. The Nets were looking to pick up Jordan Hill from the Lakers today, and with the luxury tax penalties it would have put them up to $210 million for this year. It didn't happen because the Lakers wanted a draft pick for him that Brooklyn didn't have to offer.

The cap is there, but it's circumventable.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
That link shows percentage.
The Bulls have 1000 more seats in the building than the warriors. But they sell 2000 more seats this season. So you have 1000 people buying standing room seats up top. That link shows 103.4% filled capacity vs 100% Warriors. And the Bulls don't even have their star.
I don't think you are figuring in road games. Chicage does have a national following especially since the Jordan years. The same can't be said for my Warriors, to that extent at least.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
No they can't. Really, read up on the salary caps.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
I am. I happen to be an East Coast snob who hates Middle America, but that has nothing to do with IQ.

Not exactly true. The Nets were looking to pick up Jordan Hill from the Lakers today, and with the luxury tax penalties it would have put them up to $210 million for this year. It didn't happen because the Lakers wanted a draft pick for him that Brooklyn didn't have to offer.

The cap is there, but it's circumventable.
PLEASE read the current salary structure.

OMG, Jordan WHO? You can add role players for veteran max and so forth...that doesn't mean they can sign any real talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball