Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 06:03 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,291,001 times

Advertisements

I ran across this. There have only been four documented quadruple doubles in NBA history:
Nate Thurmond
Quote:
Since the NBA began recording steals and blocked shots 32 years ago, only four players have accomplished the feat of accumulating double figures in four separate stat categories:

Nate Thurmond, October 18, 1974, Chicago Bulls vs. Atlanta Hawks:
22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, and 12 blocks Alvin Robertson, February 18, 1986, San Antonio Spurs vs. Phoenix Suns:
20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals Hakeem Olajuwon, March 29, 1990, Houston Rockets vs. Milwaukee Bucks:
18 points, 16 rebounds, 11 blocks, 10 assists David Robinson, February 17, 1994, San Antonio vs. Detroit Pistons:
34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 blocks
I used to have a nodding acquaintance with Dwayne Casey, a great guy, when he was assistant coach for the Seattle Supersonics. I tried to impress him by suggesting that the Sonics should pick up Alvin Robertson. Casey had already thought of it, and informed me that Alvin Robertson was currently in jail and thus not an answer for the Sonics' needs. LOL.

Even so I feel vindicated 20 years later to learn that Alvin was one of only 4 players to have recorded a quadruple double.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:39 AM

77,824 posts, read 59,987,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I ran across this. There have only been four documented quadruple doubles in NBA history:
Nate Thurmond

I used to have a nodding acquaintance with Dwayne Casey, a great guy, when he was assistant coach for the Seattle Supersonics. I tried to impress him by suggesting that the Sonics should pick up Alvin Robertson. Casey had already thought of it, and informed me that Alvin Robertson was currently in jail and thus not an answer for the Sonics' needs. LOL.

Even so I feel vindicated 20 years later to learn that Alvin was one of only 4 players to have recorded a quadruple double.
Good post!

Larry Bird came one steal away from doing it in 1985 vs. the Jazz......and sat out the 4th quarter of the game.

When asked by his coach if he wanted to try for the quad, Bird said nah...I've already done enough damage.

Drexler almost did it twice and Olajuwon almost did it a second time as well.

Double (basketball) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,390,090 times
Nice. I wonder if statisticians should go watch old tape (if it's available that is) and complete/reevaluate box scores. Wilt 5 bpg, russell 8 bpg??? I bet they'd find at least a handful of quadruple doubles, maybe more. Maybe even a quintuple double??

Old 02-18-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Nice. I wonder if statisticians should go watch old tape (if it's available that is) and complete/reevaluate box scores. Wilt 5 bpg, russell 8 bpg??? I bet they'd find at least a handful of quadruple doubles, maybe more. Maybe even a quintuple double??
I'm sure they would too.

Especially back during the no-defense era where the increased number of possessions made a normal game like a 2OT game of today.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:35 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,643,699 times
Tim Duncan almost got one 10 years ago.

Tim Duncan (21pts/20rebs/10asts/8blks) Close to Quadruple Double (2003 Finals) - YouTube

Old 02-18-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
That was amazing for 3 reasons in particular.

1) It's the finals, not some scrub back-2-back game against some crappy team not trying hard.

2) It was a close-out game.

2) The Spurs during most of Duncans career have run a lower-tempo game and as such it's harder to get the possessions etc. to produce quads etc.

Duncan's numbers sometimes wouldn't be eye-popping until you looked at the overall game. When the score is 125-115 and a guy has 30-10 that's one thing.

When the score is 88-77 and Duncan has 21-20-10-8 that's amazing.

New Jersey Nets at San Antonio Spurs Box Score, June 15, 2003 | Basketball-Reference.com

Old 02-18-2014, 05:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,291,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Probably true. If you look at Wilt Chamberlain's stats, the entries for blocks and steals are all blank. IIRC the NBA started tracking blocks and steals the year after he retired, which was 1973. Wilt was an excellent passer, so it seems likely that he would have done it. He averaged 8.6 assists per game in 1967. Oscar Robertson averaged a triple-double over a season, so he would be another candidate.

Here's a great article on the topic that I ran across:
LZ Granderson: Will we ever see another NBA quadruple-double? - ESPN Page 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granderson
"Kobe has an outside chance of doing it, but I'm going to have to go with LeBron. He's going to have to do it with steals, though, because it's very difficult for a 6-8 guy to come up with 10 blocks."

Indeed it is, but consider this: Since the NBA started keeping track, a player has recorded at least 10 blocks in a game 132 times. In the same span, a player has recorded 10 steals in a game only 19 times, and four of those were by Alvin Robertson, the only player to reach the quad with steals. As a rookie, James blocked a career-best five shots on March 16, 2004. In his second pro season, he established a career high with seven steals on Dec. 13, 2004.
This shows why 3 of 4 quadruple doubles were by centers. I'm thinking Joakim Noah could have a chance. He, like Wilt, is a good passer, and has scored triple doubles via assists, rebounds & points. And he once recorded 11 blocks in a game.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Chicago Bulls - Recap - February 28, 2013 - ESPN

Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,030,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good post!

Larry Bird came one steal away from doing it in 1985 vs. the Jazz......and sat out the 4th quarter of the game.

When asked by his coach if he wanted to try for the quad, Bird said nah...I've already done enough damage.

Drexler almost did it twice and Olajuwon almost did it a second time as well.

Double (basketball) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
tim duncan was 2 blocks off vs the nets to clinch the title in 03.
21/20/10/8

edit. not sure why but i missed your previous post

Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
tim duncan was 2 blocks off vs the nets to clinch the title in 03.
21/20/10/8

edit. not sure why but i missed your previous post
Probably couldn't see it over the glare of it's awesome Tim Duncaness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball