Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
The NBA Draft is all about evaluating the individual player while the NCAA Tournament is more of a team affair. A first-or-second round exit in the tourney has no bearing on where a player will be drafted. NBA scouts are more interested in the skill set a player brings to the table. Parker and Wiggins have logged enough basketball miles to prove they have the potential to be future stars in the NBA based on the opinions of experts in the field. It would take many more poor showings for them to not be lottery picks in the next draft because they've already been branded as the next great players by the league.

While bad performance in the tourney doesn't hurt a player, it does provide opportunities for players to raise their draft stock. I'm thinking of guys like Patrick O'Bryant, Loren Meyer, Joe Alexander, and Keith Smart, to name a few. They were able to parlay special tournament moments into higher draft positions than they would've received otherwise.

So if the tourney provides an opportunity for a player to raise their draft stock with a good performance, why doesn't a bad performance drop a player's draft stock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
So if the tourney provides an opportunity for a player to raise their draft stock with a good performance, why doesn't a bad performance drop a player's draft stock?
Because scouts and executives have already decided that certain elite players are going to be high draft picks because of the skill set they can potentially bring to an NBA team. They look more at a total body of work of a player rather than just 1 or 2 tournament games. NBA execs understand that players have bad games. Now if Parker and Wiggins had had bad college seasons, then that would definitely drop their stock. I, however, believe they showed enough for the teams who end up with top picks to take a chance on them.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
Because scouts and executives have already decided that certain elite players are going to be high draft picks because of the skill set they can potentially bring to an NBA team. They look more at a total body of work of a player rather than just 1 or 2 tournament games. NBA execs understand that players have bad games. Now if Parker and Wiggins had had bad college seasons, then that would definitely drop their stock. I, however, believe they showed enough for the teams who end up with top picks to take a chance on them.

I expect the Bucks and Sixers to still be bad teams in 2016 if they pick either one of these two players

Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 PM

579 posts, read 761,673 times
I'm puzzled by people second guessing Parker. I see s future All-Star. He needs to work on his defense but offensively he is well rounded and complete.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
I'm puzzled by people second guessing Parker. I see s future All-Star. He needs to work on his defense but offensively he is well rounded and complete.

Stupid to second guess him now, is he even 19 yet? Set ACC & Duke records for a freshman...

Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Stupid to second guess him now, is he even 19 yet? Set ACC & Duke records for a freshman...

He can just come back to school next year and build on all that

Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post

I think thats a good idea. Probably be the #1 pick....

Old 03-26-2014, 12:48 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
No single answer but I think that the "improve your draft stock" comment is applied to lesser known players at schools outside of the big spotlights or players that maybe were injured during the season etc etc.

I think most of the guys that moniker is applied to are guys that were more towards the end of the 1st round or 2nd round type guys and not the guys already being eyed from a top 5 pick.

Consider that MOST top picks are very very young and are being drafted on potential.

Their draft stock doesn't move much based upon that kind of stuff.

Now if they show a bad attitude, uncoachable, get in trouble off-court....that hurts them way more.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Or go to the NBA right now and make >3million a year for a couple years at least.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:18 PM

462 posts, read 427,261 times
Quote:

Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball